PDA

View Full Version : Dell Laptop

JForestZ34
12-22-2003, 03:15 PM
What do you guys think off a Dell insperation 5100 laptop. Got a good deal on it for christmas. Free next day business shipping also. Please post your opinions.

James

hondafox440
12-22-2003, 03:24 PM
Specs -

Processor/Display
Intel® Pentium® 4,2.66GHz,15.0 XGA

Operating System
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

Memory
512MB 266MHz 2 DIMM

Hard Drive
30GB2 Ultra ATA Hard Drive

Fixed CD/DVD Drives
24X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive with Sonic RecordNow

Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options
2 Year Limited Warranty3 plus 2 Year At-Home Service4

MSRP - 1199$

Thats a good deal in my book. Get rid of XP Home and get XP Pro though.

12-22-2003, 03:31 PM
thats almost better than the desktop I was getting :eek2: :huh :eek2:

MOFO
12-22-2003, 03:32 PM
Well I cant comment on that laptop in particular, but I do have a Latitude Laptop that has been bulletproof for several years now. I also have a Dell Dimension 4600 Desktop decked out... zero problems...and my newest Dell is the new X3i PDA... its sawweeet!

450Racer
12-22-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
What do you guys think off a Dell insperation 5100 laptop. Got a good deal on it for christmas. Free next day business shipping also. Please post your opinions.

James

my dad just bought one for my mom, we'll see how it is, we have to put my mom's computer in the basement so i can record guitar stuff on it.

12-22-2003, 04:08 PM
I Agree with hondafox440 even tho he says put XP home ed. on it i would get rid of XP completely and get Windows 2000 pro. I had it on my computer and i have had zero problems ever since i got it. it's had 2000 on it since windowns 2000 had came out. I mean if you want to keep XP go ahead but your computer will be esay access to hackers spyware and adware, which when that happens you have no controll over your computer......so i would go with 2000 or 98 but thats up to you

Nick

hondafox440
12-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Actually, XP and 2000 are very similar. Microsoft learned their lesson after Windows ME. XP Pro is secure, and it's rock solid. I have had no problem with spyware or viruses on XP Pro, and I don't get any random popups. I did with Home before I upgraded though. I run XP Pro on my server and PC, and XP Home on the other desktop we have.

12-22-2003, 05:20 PM
would this laptop work very well at games?

310Rduner
12-22-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
Actually, XP and 2000 are very similar. Microsoft learned their lesson after Windows ME. XP Pro is secure, and it's rock solid. I have had no problem with spyware or viruses on XP Pro, and I don't get any random popups. I did with Home before I upgraded though. I run XP Pro on my server and PC, and XP Home on the other desktop we have.

The upgrade to Pro is deffinately worth it. I upgraded from 98 to xp pro, and I haven't had a single problem since.

250EXking
12-22-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
would this laptop work very well at games?

yeah it would be pretty good, just have to get a mouse because those little pads piss me off.(be hard to use for games) :mad: has good memory and good speed, but if you do alot of gaming, get a good desktop like the 4600,8300, or XPS:D

coryatver
12-22-2003, 11:20 PM
I have a dell 5100 pentium 4 2.66, 15 in. screen, xp pro, cd/cdrw/dvd fixed drive, 300 some mb of memory. I love it. No problems and I use it a lot at college programming and using the internet and games.

oh ya and about xp, as soon as I got my laptop i downloaded like 15 security updates. xp is definetly not secure.

JD400exrider
12-23-2003, 12:10 AM
I don't think you can go wrong for the price on the Dell.

I personally use a Panasonic laptop for my business. It is a three years old. About 1" thick and a touch screen. No need to use that little pad or mouse. Just touch the screen. They are well worth the extra money and the warrenty is rock solid.

spincr4hire
12-23-2003, 05:30 AM
Our company is partnered with Dell, so I get a killer deal. Just ordered an Inspiron 8600 (wide-screen format) laptop. Came with free printer, Kodak DX-6340 Digi-cam, DVD/CD burner, etc.

250exen
12-23-2003, 08:26 AM
im on one now... well its actually my sisters and she used it for collage. i will agree, its a great computer but i would go with xp pro. shes got home and its not secure at all. pop ups come up all the time. nice computer and does what she wants it to. the battery life is about 3 hours so its not to bad and its pretty light..... not the lighest out there, but its ok. and for an extra $20 you can get other pretty colors besides blue! hahaha
ohh, and its alot better then our old demension l433 that thing is a million years old....

dirtmomma
12-23-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by JForestZ34

James

I've got the Inspiron 7500 & LOVE IT!!! Had it about a year & half & haven't had any problems w/ it except for my 4 yr old sat a popsicle on it & it melted into the keyboard so I have to use a regular keyboard plugged in cuz the left side is all sticky:mad: One of these days I'm goin to take it in & have it cleaned up or does anyone have any ideas???

norrisboat
12-23-2003, 08:34 AM
Cant go wrong with a dell. I work for Intel and Dell puts together the most reliable systems.

JForestZ34
12-23-2003, 01:02 PM
Even if I run an adware program or have it hooked up to my router with a firewall is windows xp home still that easy to get into. I don't even run the windows update, the reason why I don't use that is becasue everytime I would use it the windows explorer or some other kind of program wouldn't work right. IT would say there was an error and explorer would be closed. So now I just have my anti-virus software up to date with my fireall router. And I haven't had a problem since. Is this good enough. Or should I go and get the window xp pro upgrade.

James

12-23-2003, 02:21 PM
JForestZ34

Dell
Even if I run an adware program or have it hooked up to my router with a firewall is windows xp home still that easy to get into. I don't even run the windows update, the reason why I don't use that is becasue everytime I would use it the windows explorer or some other kind of program wouldn't work right. IT would say there was an error and explorer would be closed. So now I just have my anti-virus software up to date with my fireall router. And I haven't had a problem since. Is this good enough. Or should I go and get the window xp pro upgrade.

James

Well James to be better off you should go and get the XP update
keep your router and firewall just update for better security

Atreyu
12-23-2003, 07:31 PM
I used to have a dell latitude, but it was stolen...:mad: :mad: