PDA

View Full Version : XC suspension question

400exvet
12-22-2003, 12:15 PM
I had my WP shocks set up for my weight XC. They still seemed stiff. The springs were set on the bottom notch which would make them the stiffest. I moved them to the 3rd notch from the top and installed lowering brackets on the front. It lowered the front by almost 3". Now I can almost bottom out the shocks by pushing down on the bumper. Did the shock adjustment do this? Or did the lowering kit change the geometry of the front enough to where I could have left the shocks stiff and the geometry change would have made them a little smoother? Is the lowering thing a good idea until I can afford zero preload shocks? I also got one of those adjustable links for the rear and it lowered it by 3". I trashed the air box and my exhaust on the MX track but I think it will be OK in the woods. Thanks for any help!

xc400ex
12-22-2003, 03:09 PM
The lowering bracket is a bad idea. Take it off imidiately its only good for flattracking.

12-22-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by xc400ex
The lowering bracket is a bad idea. Take it off imidiately its only good for flattracking. ;)

cdalejef
12-22-2003, 05:40 PM
:eek2: Take those lowering brackets off before someone gets hurt! :eek2:

You did the right thing by lowering the preload but take that kit off quick! Does your WB shocks have compression adjust?

400exvet
12-23-2003, 05:32 AM
Jeff, yes they do. The adjuster goes from #1 to #7. To get to #1, I turn it clockwise so I think that would make them stiffer. I'm going to take off the lowering kit and see how the shocks feel in their new position but on the stock bracket. If there still too easy to bottom out, I can adjust the spring back down a few notches and play with the compression adjustment. I want to be set up for rough woods but I like to jump also. So, when a XC race incorporates the MX track (like Budds Creek next weekend), I get frustrated because I don't know which to set up for. I guess the safest thing to do is set up for MX and get beat up in the woods! Could I use the lowering brackets with a longer shock? You said in another post a while back that you probably know some of us from the old GNCC days. There was about 12 of us from the same area that went to the closer races. Most of us on quads some on Bikes. We were quite the party crew also. We'll be at Steele Creek in March, maybe see you there! I just bought a spare stock rear shock that I may want you to set up? I want to concentrate on suspension and steering this year so I will be asking you plenty. Thanks! Doug

cdalejef
12-23-2003, 11:12 AM
Sounds like your on the right track with your adjustments. Just keep messing with them.
I wouldn't set them up for MX if your racing woods. You spend more time in the woods per lap than you do on the MX sections. You will wear yourself down pretty quick if you set them up for MX.
I set my shocks up for XC and the still work very well at soaking up the big landings.