PDA

View Full Version : Engine Storage!

QuadTrix6
12-22-2003, 08:43 AM
Hey I have my engine out of my quad and everything off of it with all the holes plugged up with the oil drained too. Is it ok for it to sit like this? Should I pour some oil into the spark plug hole or anything? I do NOT want it to lock up. It's in my garage which is not heated so its pretty cold in there. Any tips for storing it? Thanks

Pappy
12-22-2003, 08:45 AM
i dunno how involved ya wanna get but there is a product out ....engine fogger maybe the name. its designed for extended storage.

but a bit of oil and turn the engine over a few times each month would probably do the trick

Hotdog
12-22-2003, 01:22 PM
i would keep some oil in it. I have had enginer cylinders get rust over night. I have coated them and not had a problem, so some oil would be the best.

EvilJester400EX
12-22-2003, 02:10 PM
Clean it up and stuff it in the closet. :cool:

hondafox440
12-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Throw a few tablespoons of premix down the spark plug hole and crank it over a few times to spread it out. I would suggest doing this every few weeks to prevent rust and siezure.

QuadTrix6
12-22-2003, 05:23 PM
well the engine is out of the bike with nothing attached to it. I guess the best i can do is poor some oil into the spark plug hole.

4Hundy2001
12-22-2003, 05:31 PM
I would treat it like you would a 2 stroke jetski or a boat when you go to winterize it.

All you need to do is dump a little oil in the top of the cylinder and it will be good for some time.

When I winterize my Jetskis I dump an ounce of oil down each cylinder in October and I let them sit outside until April. I have never had any trouble at all. I would think it would be the same for a 4 wheeler motor.

But thats just my 2 cents.