PDA

View Full Version : ex actually faster than kfx/z?

ReconRider25
12-22-2003, 08:29 AM
ok yea i was drag racing a kfx 400 with my 400ex and i beat him both times. first time it was by like 25 feet, and the second time, by 10 feet, but on that second run i had accidentally shifted into neutral instead of second. i dont think it was really the rider because of the second drag, and both are stock. so do you think that my 400 is faster than his kfx? and if you go to this thing: http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm and look at the mph's for each gear on the ex and z, it shows higher mph's for each gear on the 400ex, so would that mean it accelerates faster? i have a feeling the 400ex is still the better quad. what do you think?

trx400
12-22-2003, 08:37 AM
i have a z and a 400ex and i feel that my 400 is faster i never lost to it in a drag race altough i do have some minor mods to my ex pipe cam and piston, it has a 14 tooth front sprocket and still wins on top end

chucked
12-22-2003, 08:38 AM
i think its mainly rider, even though i have beat a few z's when we were both stock, actually one had a pipe but it was a dg and i think it slowed it down.

Red00Honda400EX
12-22-2003, 10:20 AM
Stock for stock a Z will take a 400ex. I had a Cam, Full pipe, 426 kit, and a K&N filter and I could take them by a few quad lengths as long as I could hook up. On pavement I could take them by 4-5 lengths in the 8th mile.

nacs400ex
12-22-2003, 10:27 AM
A 400ex will not beat a Z or KFX, if the riders are even. That is a fact. The Z has advantages over the ex like reverse, liquid cooling, dual cams. The 400ex only has one advantage stronger frame. I dont know about you guys but I would take a Z over an EX.

400exBro
12-22-2003, 10:42 AM
the z400 are not at all that good, i can beat my z400 with only pipe jetting and smaller tires... my dad and i both switched back and forth and the ex would always pull the z400...
the z400 does feel a lot snappier and what not but it sits way to high, and has lots of problems, peronaly i would never buy one again, they are pos...
they have their ups but they do have a lot of downs !!!!
yamaha or honda is the only way to go.

ReconRider25
12-22-2003, 10:43 AM
A 400ex will not beat a Z or KFX, if the riders are even. That is a fact. The Z has advantages over the ex like reverse, liquid cooling, dual cams. The 400ex only has one advantage stronger frame. I dont know about you guys but I would take a Z over an EX.

i dont think reverse and liquid cooling will really make a difference in a drag race, and the 400ex also has better handling, not just the frame.

Glow Plug
12-22-2003, 10:51 AM
the kfx/z is faster than the ex if the riders are even. But I still think the ex is a better machine :)

12-22-2003, 11:19 AM
the z/kfx's are alot faster than mine, i would actually compare it to a raptor drag racing but maybe my 400 is just going slower b/c of this cobra :mad:

biohazard1.2
12-22-2003, 12:25 PM
after all, most of this is BS anyway...

stock for stock... the EX does not have a chance...unless the Z has probs.

hotrodhonda400
12-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by biohazard1.2

stock for stock... the EX does not have a chance...unless the Z has probs. Well I disagree the Z and the 400 are the most evenly matched bikes i've ever seen and beacuse one 400ex beat a Z and another didn't does not prove a thing really there are to many factors riders conditions and last but not least all bikes are not created equal, even some EX's are faster than other ex's stock for stock.:cool:

Atreyu
12-22-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by biohazard1.2

stock for stock... the EX does not have a chance...unless the Z has probs.

You wouldn't happen to be a dirtwheels editor, would you? haha. They're nearly dead even in speed. The Z may pull away eventually.

Red00Honda400EX
12-22-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Atreyu
You wouldn't happen to be a dirtwheels editor, would you? haha. They're nearly dead even in speed. The Z may pull away eventually.

That is BS. Either that or my 400 is the slowest one ever built and my buddies Z is the fastest one ever built. Mine with a Slip on and rejetted he would rip me apart. If we switched I'd rip him up. All these stories I hear on this forum about the EX beating the Z with just a slip on are BS. Theres no way in hell. I've watched them race in person at the dunes and at the track, drag racing. The EX will not beat the Z without going inside the motor.

400exBro
12-22-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Red00Honda400EX
That is BS. Either that or my 400 is the slowest one ever built and my buddies Z is the fastest one ever built. Mine with a Slip on and rejetted he would rip me apart. If we switched I'd rip him up. All these stories I hear on this forum about the EX beating the Z with just a slip on are BS. Theres no way in hell. I've watched them race in person at the dunes and at the track, drag racing. The EX will not beat the Z without going inside the motor.

i will show you, my ex is almost all stock with just a pipe and rejetted, mx tires, axle and shocks... and everytime either my ex is dead even with my z400 (totaly stock except for kill switch) or the ex is ahead of it... and we switched back and forth, it could have just been that the strip wasn't long enough to get the z in the sweet spot becuase i know it lacks a lot of bottm end compared to the ex, next time i will try a lot longer strip and see what the reulsts are...

hotrodhonda400
12-22-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Red00Honda400EX
That is BS. Either that or my 400 is the slowest one ever built and my buddies Z is the fastest one ever built. Mine with a Slip on and rejetted he would rip me apart. If we switched I'd rip him up. All these stories I hear on this forum about the EX beating the Z with just a slip on are BS. Theres no way in hell. I've watched them race in person at the dunes and at the track, drag racing. The EX will not beat the Z without going inside the motor. just because you have a slip on and jetted don't mean a thing ,you can actually hurt you horsepower OR torque if you don't have enough backpreasure in the exhaust , my 400 is stock as far as motor and pipe goes and I raced a Z time and time again and we were one wheel length from each other in either his favor or mine it was a toss up.. NO B.S. ;)

Sportrax10
12-22-2003, 04:30 PM
Kinda reminds me of a lt250 vs. a 250r...

ReconRider25
12-22-2003, 04:38 PM
do i have to find someone with a video camera and race this guy on the kfx again?:p

dannyboy20
12-22-2003, 05:32 PM
im more so leaning towards the Z/Kfx . Both my friends have them stock and they just see a little bit faster.

silver4hundee
12-22-2003, 06:14 PM
because that is all they are "a little bit faster". All you people who still think that a stock Z400 is so much faster than a stock EX needs to get their noses out of Dirt Wheels and go out and drag race them.

nacs400ex
12-22-2003, 06:35 PM
Well I own a 2 400ex's. They are not a good platform to start out with these days with all the dirtbike motored quads.

I wish I had never bought my 400ex and got a yfz instead. Sure the 400ex is a good reliable quad, but for racing it costs way to much to be a worthy racer. The 400ex had its spot as number 1 and now its gone. I know I am going to get flamed for saying its crap but, I am not biased because I own two.

Red00Honda400EX
12-22-2003, 08:00 PM
Stock my buddies Z400 ran a 10.003@66mph in the 8th mile. With a JE 426 kit, Hot cam stage 1 cam, Full CS exhaust, and 18" hoosiers out back my EX turned a 9.6@65.8mph, rev limiter limeted. Rider ability could come into play but I cut better 60' times than anyone else I was racing the 2 times at the drag strip. With all the money and motor work I had done I could only manage 4 thenths faster in the 8th mile than a STOCK Z400. Again the Z is faster, then again you all have the 400ex's built and I'm a terrible rider (even though I had better 60' times) and blah blah blah. I only say what I know not what I hear on the internet. Oh and I own a 400ex so there goes any excuse that I'm biased towards the Z.

montyjcm
12-22-2003, 08:11 PM
According to that chart, the z400 and 400ex and pretty much dead even, but we all know that the chart doesn't take into account every detail. What I am hearing is that the 400ex and z400 are pretty close stock, but that the z400 responds to engine mods better. Well I am a noob, so I may be wrong.:p

Greg Z
12-22-2003, 08:16 PM
I draged a Z on pavement up a hill I beat him 3-4 quad lenghts with 20 inch tamers, e-series slip on, jet kit, K&N

montyjcm
12-22-2003, 08:23 PM
Did the z have those mods or your ex?

Moded86R
12-22-2003, 09:07 PM
I have an 02 400ex.Motor wise it is bone stock.It has a UNI filter,Rejetted to a 158 main jet,Ground header pipe welds,Removed the spark arrestor,And I drill another hole inside the stock silencer.

My buddy also has a stock motored 02 ex.He has a K&N filter,Rejetted to a 160 main,ground header pipe welds.

We raced many z400's and KFX's a few weekends ago.My buddy beat them everytime.I on the other hand would run right next to or right behind every single one of them.

This is no BS I have no reason to lie.It maybe just the riders.But really happened.It was in sand.I was running 20/11/9 razr's and so was my buddy.All of the z's and kfx's had stock tires.

As far as what bike is better.I think the 400ex in my basement says it all.I won't own another suzuki unless I find a good deal on a zilla.My dad has had 2.Both where crazy.

silver4hundee
12-22-2003, 09:43 PM
I agree that the Z400 responds to mods better, I have seen this for myself. but stock for stock, the two are very close even though the Z is "a little bit faster"

Greg Z
12-22-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by montyjcm
Did the z have those mods or your ex?

it was stock it had tires though and a air filter thats it I think it had like a white brothers or uni

DEAL
12-22-2003, 10:10 PM
I've had alot of experience with Kfx/zs ...
When my ex was stock , I dragged a Stock Z, beat him about 10 times by a bike legnth.
Even tried putting a different rider on the Z and it made no difference.
My buddy had a kfx, I used to beat him with my stock Ex too. We were usually even until 5th and I would slowly pull away.
Stock for Stock I think the Ex will beat a Z/Kfx. But the Z/Kfx has alot more potential and responds alot better with mods, A piped Z would easily smoke a piped ex , no doubt about it.

ghost_ryder
12-22-2003, 11:19 PM
ive never been beaten by an ex with a pipe and minor mods...ive never raced one with a big bore kit so i couldnt tell ya...and im stock but not for to long...santa is bringing me an hmf full exhaust and k&n airfilter...

tdsongster
12-22-2003, 11:41 PM
The z400 will beat a 400ex in a drag race. However, I rarely do that. On a track, or on trails, the 400ex will way outperform. The handling of the 400ex is the BEST. In addition, the 400ex wins alot of races since it never breaks. It is the most durable quad built. Now, I did put a few mods on mine, Big Gun pipe, 6 deg key, rejetted, thinner head gasket (raised compression .3). Not alot of cash but can hang with a z400 in a drag race.
Besides, if you are all concerned about drag racing, a z400 is not the way to go anyways, look at a Raptor, Banshee, or DS650.

Just my 2 cents...

cals400ex
12-22-2003, 11:59 PM
i don't know much about the z's and kfx's, but some seem to run different. when i had my stock ex with a 16 tooth sprocket i was dead even with a z through the gears and i slowly pulled on him up top. i raced a kfx with a sprocket 3 teeth smaller in the rear than stock and he blew my doors off the whole way. the top end geared bike even pulled hard in 3 gear. he started pulling on me in 2 and we started to even out by the time we were at full top speed. however, by that time he was in front of me by a good distance. by the way, it was the same driver on the z and the kfx that i raced. i raced one other z and it seemed slow too. then he put a pipe, filter and jetted it and now it would smoke a stock 400ex. i can pass him without too much problem with my 11 compression 406 with stage 2 cam though. i do know that the 400ex's need to have the throttle cable adjusted properly or they are slow. i am not sure what the deal is with these bikes. i have seen two slow z's and one fast kfx from the factory.