PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joint rubber boot help

miken
12-22-2003, 06:20 AM
Hi all, Newbie here, great forum.
Does anyone know of a place where I can buy a new upper a-arm ball joint rubber boot? They are stock a-arms and the ball joints are in excellent shape except for the slice in the boot. I tried to fix with some RTV but it doesn't look like it will last very long. Thanks in advance.
Mike -

Pappy
12-22-2003, 06:33 AM
i think i tried finding one before at www.servicehonda.com but i cant rember if it is an available part. give thier online parts locator a try to see.

Quadworks
12-22-2003, 06:43 AM
Most all HONDA balljoint boots are NON replacable. About the best thing I found that works is go to your local auto parts store and buy a rubber boot for a tierod end for a GM. Give this a shot. Otherwise you will either have to deal with it or buy a whole new a-arm.

miken
12-22-2003, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the help. I checked out the web site, looks like you gotta buy the whole assembly. I also have an email into the parts department. I guess if I can't find them I will try the autoparts approach. Hope the tie rod end boots have the same diameters?
Thanks again,
Mike -

Quadworks
12-22-2003, 05:04 PM
I know this works because for my 72 Nova. I had bought a set of poly tierod boots to install when rebuilding my front suspension. I tried these on a set of a-arms and the fit really pretty good. But I think that if you get the rubber ones and maybe wiretie the base and fill with grease this should work great. This is the only fix that I have ever seen other than making removable ball joints. But then that mods, a different story. I hope this helps you out some.

bayou boy
12-22-2003, 06:16 PM
I had a tear in the boot on my quad. I tried this and it has held up good so far. Clean the area well to get dirt and grease off then get some 3M 5200 marine sealant dab it on your finger and apply it to the rip. Let it cure for 24hrs. It is some pretty good stuff and does not harden when it dries. so it will give a little and not crack. I tried this a few months ago and it is still holding up. They sell it at wallyworld around the boat polish.

miken
12-26-2003, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the advise guys, here's an update. I went out today to 3 autoparts stores. They all sold a generic rubber tie rod end dust boot, but the large side diameter was at least 1/16 too large and they were stretch fit instead of press-on. They wouldn't separate out a rubber boot specific to any particular tie rod end and sell separately (even if they could have found one 33mm/13mm). Honda ain't helping me any, got a no deal reply to my email to them. Buy a new a-arm for little $3 rubber boot, I don't think so. I've got a couple emails out to Daystar poly boots but they will most likely be expensive if available? If I locate a supplier I will post it here for all to have.
Later,
Mike -

dads400ex
12-26-2003, 01:52 PM
Yes, keep us posted. I tore two of them and need to find a replacement. kind of crazy to have to buy a new a-arm for the boot, guess that is one way of making more in sales.

CJ400EX
12-30-2003, 03:51 PM
Yes, keep us posted. I ran into the same problem.

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-30-2003, 04:20 PM
something to consider if your up to a challange:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43248

also, maybe this would work:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50931

stocktires
12-30-2003, 05:10 PM
(If Rippin's links dont help)
I know most of the aftermarket companies use VW tie-rod ends for ball-joints, so maybe a boot off of a VW tie-rod end might work? I have a spare boot off of an old ball-joint I will mail you if you like? lmk!

miken
01-05-2004, 11:10 AM
I really appreciate all your help, what a great site. I've tried just about everything. I even made one from generic boots, a rubber gromet and a welded steel ring I made myself. It worked but ugly and not sure it would hold up long term. I've emailed Japan (Tokai-TRW, OEM) but no reply yet. Got an email into NAPA about part # 650-1175 to see if it is same diameters as stock. This has become personal now. Honda should just sell the freaking thing! Or at least post a replacement. Any idea about the part number or year on the VW tie rod end, or maybe the ford courier? Somewhere out there is the exact boot packaged with a tie rod end of some make/model, maybe even sold separately? Problem is the autoparts stores can't look it up by diameters in their computers. Daystar emailed me back, No Luck, but the poly boots wouldn't have worked anyway. They don't stretch much at all.
Later, Mike -:confused: