PDA

View Full Version : the bumper I made-

speedy400
12-21-2003, 10:20 PM
hey, I had an extra 2 weeks in tech. 2 class in school, and my painted red stock bumper looks like crap so I decided to try and save me 70$ and make myself one. There should be 2 pics of it on my quad on the bottom.-

http://community.webshots.com/album/97266119iVWtqL

Dont mind the hood and the a-arms , pcing the arms and new plastic is next on my list of stuff to do.

I started with tubing and screen, evertyhing I welded with a wire feed welder, I was my 1st time on it so it's definetly not perfect.
what do you guys think? Only thing negative I think about it is it's 7lbs.
thanks-darren

12-21-2003, 10:33 PM
looks nice...only thing bad about a super strong bumper is that it wont be absorbing any of the impact with whatever you hit & that means the frame will be taking the hit which = bent frames.

speedy400
12-21-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
looks nice...only thing bad about a super strong bumper is that it wont be absorbing any of the impact with whatever you hit & that means the frame will be taking the hit which = bent frames.
I somewhat thought of that, I made the mounts angled up a lot, and didnt gusset the mounts at all,so if I hit anything it will bend towards the frame and have about 4-5 inches of room to bend in before it touches the frame. Hopefully I wont hit anything, I've only hit 1 thing before in my 4 year riding career and that was because my rear break pads went to metal against metal that day so I couldn't use them... Then again, accidents are accidents, thanks-darren

12-21-2003, 11:46 PM
you could have still used them if they are mnetal to metal..its just bad to use them alot...mine are metal to metal right now but I still use them for emergencies

UglyMotha™
12-22-2003, 08:48 AM
i think i'm really digging that hood, have you killed anybody with it yet :huh

speedy400
12-22-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
i think i'm really digging that hood, have you killed anybody with it yet :huh
If only:rolleyes: , like I said I'm working on new front plastic... How would I kill anyone with the hood?....?thanks for the opinions-darren