PDA

View Full Version : Need help with shocks.

swampfoxsc
12-21-2003, 08:12 PM
I'm new to the whole sport atv scene (rode 4X4 atvs for years) and I'm gonna try GNCC racing this year. I know nothing about shocks and need some help from you guys.

I bought a used 99 400EX and the stock shocks are worn out. Should I have the rear shock rebuilt by a reputable builder? I don't have tons of money to spend on shocks just to find out I suck at racing! So, what is a good front shock that I can maybe have upgraded in the future if I continue racing or just for aggresive play riding?

I've got the info I need on motor mods and such but shocks are an area that I just can't seem to master! Thanks for any help.:)

gibson400ex
12-21-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by swampfoxsc
I'm new to the whole sport atv scene (rode 4X4 atvs for years) and I'm gonna try GNCC racing this year. I know nothing about shocks and need some help from you guys.

I bought a used 99 400EX and the stock shocks are worn out. Should I have the rear shock rebuilt by a reputable builder? I don't have tons of money to spend on shocks just to find out I suck at racing! So, what is a good front shock that I can maybe have upgraded in the future if I continue racing or just for aggresive play riding?

I've got the info I need on motor mods and such but shocks are an area that I just can't seem to master! Thanks for any help.:)

well if you got money go for elka,axis,i dnno howuch tcs are,and pep

cheaper-works

doy ou have a price range for hwo much money?

swampfoxsc
12-21-2003, 10:17 PM
I'm thinking $500-700. Can I have the rear rebuilt to work with quality aftermarket fronts?

I looked at the Elka website. Can their Recreational shocks be upgraded to the performance level of their racing shocks in the future?:confused:

cdalejef
12-22-2003, 06:59 AM
You can get the Elka economies and have the rear shock rebuilt on that budget and yes, those fronts can be upgraded to rezzies later on. This will be a nice start to getting you into racing! :macho

swampfoxsc
12-22-2003, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the help guys.:)

Greg Z
12-22-2003, 10:03 PM
I'm thinking $500-700. Can I have the rear rebuilt to work with quality aftermarket fronts?

I looked at the Elka website. Can their Recreational shocks be upgraded to the performance level of their racing shocks in the future?:confused:

700 dollars will get u the BEST Tcs shocks there is for Standerd travel

you should go with TCS there reallly good for the money contact BANSHEEBC about it he does a deal with them for 700 they retail 850+

swampfoxsc
12-23-2003, 05:59 PM
When you say, the best, is that a fully adjustable shock with rezzies? What about the rear? Who does a quality rebuild of a stock rear shock?

BigAl
12-23-2003, 06:25 PM
almost anyone who works on motorcycle shocks, can rebuild your stock rear.

However, If you choose to go with Elka, or TCS, or even Works Performance, they can also set your rear up to be compatible with the fronts.

I feel that Works shocks give very good performance for the money.

Jeff at the quadshop is in the business of supplying gncc racers with quality products, and he is very knowledgeable as he is a pro racer himself.

Everybody on here has differing opinions, so just try to figure out who you can believe.

Greg Z
12-23-2003, 07:31 PM
When you say, the best, is that a fully adjustable shock with rezzies? What about the rear? Who does a quality rebuild of a stock rear shock?

When i say the best for the fronts

TRIPPLE RATES w/REZZIES WITH ZERO PRELOAD and ADJUSTABEL COMP RACE SEREIS ;)

The rear shock if you send it in for a rebuild they give you a new spring and rip out the guts and put in better ones :)