PDA

View Full Version : Carb help please

Woodsrider
12-21-2003, 07:36 PM
My float bowl is over filling. To the point that it is spilling out the overflow tube on rough terrain. I loose more of a tank than I burn. I had the carb apart today to inspect it and try and figure it out but I couldn't find anything that looked out of place. No hole in the float, and the needle seemed to be closing. The stock float in not adjustable so WTF?

Aceman
12-21-2003, 07:43 PM
I don't have a 400 but did you look at both the needle and the seat. As far as the float goes I believe you bend it to the proper height, that is the way most carbs are. Is there a tab on the float where the needle rides that you can bend up?

Woodsrider
12-21-2003, 07:48 PM
The float is all plastic and there is nothing to bend for an adjustment. the needle and seat are both in good condition. The needle has a rubber tip that seats to brass.

Aceman
12-21-2003, 07:55 PM
Sorry I couldn't help:confused:

Woodsrider
12-21-2003, 07:57 PM
No problem, thanks. That the great thing about this site fast responses and lots of folks with open minds and good ideas.;)

cals400ex
12-21-2003, 08:04 PM
i am not sure if you are having any symptoms, but i know in 2001 they changed the floats a bit. some were having problems with gas pouring out of the overflow tube when going up hills and doing wheelies, etc. my friends actually spuddered when going up steep hills. he put in a new float and hasn't had a problem since. it now doesn't pour out when doing wheelies either. if this is your problem, i would go to the dealer and they should be able to look at what exactly they changed in 2001. you should be able to just get the newer part and put it right in. i am almost positive it has something to do with the float or how it mounts in. good luck

Woodsrider
12-21-2003, 08:09 PM
Thanks that was my next step was to just replace the float. I just have a hard time replacing a part that dont look faulty. Here's the kicker, it was fine until I rejetted for the new exhaust. It was after that that I started having problems dumping fuel.

kenny
12-22-2003, 07:56 PM
turn carb upside down and suck on the fuel inlet pipe.where the fuel line hooks onto carb.or put a vacuum on it for better testing results.also you may want to see if there is an o-ring on the fuel valve seat.poss fuel could leak by.did you ck to see if the float will float.one last thing you can do is remove the fuel bowl drain plug install a piece of cork with rubber hose through the middle of it turn the gas on holding the clear rubber hose up alongside the bowl.fuel will rise in rubber hose and show you the fuel level in the bowl on the bike.are you with me.if the level is higher than the overflow tube i would say reck your clip that holds fuel valve.good luck let us know what you find

Woodsrider
12-22-2003, 08:28 PM
Yes I'm with ya;) the float floats. but I havent checked the level of the fuel, with an actual "water level" I think I may even have a fitting at work that will fit the bowl drain screw. Whats the differnce between a 99-00 carb and a 01-03carb. the p/n for the float are different, is the newer float adjustable, or improved in some way?

cals400ex
12-22-2003, 11:18 PM
i think the float pins are different. in the manual it says the 2001's float pin need to be removed by lightly tapping it out. i would ask the dealer what is different. i bet they can look that up on the computer. i don't think they are much different besides the float pins, but i am not 100% sure.

Woodsrider
12-23-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i think the float pins are different. in the manual it says the 2001's float pin need to be removed by lightly tapping it out. i would ask the dealer what is different. i bet they can look that up on the computer. i don't think they are much different besides the float pins, but i am not 100% sure.

That was the only difference I could find as well. I looked the the exploded view at service honda, which is the same pic that the dealer is going to have. I'm stoppin in there tommorow to get a look for myself.

cals400ex
12-23-2003, 07:28 PM
let me know if you have any other questions. i wouldn't be surprised if your dealer doesn't even know that they changed something. i could probally find out by my local dealer if your having problems. however, i am not saying this float is your problem. but, i stated earlier in this thread a problem my friend was having and this new part fixed his. however, i am not exactly what part it was. i remember the dealer saying it had something to do with the float. good luck