PDA

View Full Version : Thumb saver or ?

DirtyGirl
12-21-2003, 07:28 PM
My thumb has been getting really cramped when I ride. I know that riding more often or getting one of those gripper things will help, but what do you guys think of some of the aftermarket throttle options that there are? I noticed that Rocky Mountain atv has an extension type of thing. Or maybe there's something else on the market. Lemme know what you'd recommend.

Britt

batgeek
12-21-2003, 07:37 PM
thumb saver = disaster waiting to happen

Aceman
12-21-2003, 07:39 PM
I have a Motion Pro twist throttle.

DirtyGirl
12-21-2003, 07:49 PM
Care to elaborate Batgeek?

Silverfox@C&DRacing
12-21-2003, 08:51 PM
I run a moose thumb throttle, kind of expensive but well worth it saves the thumb ;)

pnut420
12-21-2003, 09:57 PM
My brother got the moose also, havent tried it much yet but feels good so far, its just a way better setup.

batgeek
12-21-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by DirtyGirl
Care to elaborate Batgeek?

you really want that big chunky thing hanging out around your grips when you hit nasty terrain? i used to get tired thumb and decided to move my throttle lever up and in more. sometimes the heel of my hand would hit it and i would throttle when i didn't want to, so i moved it back. and that was with a regular sized throttle lever.

i guess it would be ok for TT, duning and maybe MX. but on a XC course i can only see bad stuff happening with those things.

i say do the grip exercises(sucks) and ride more(good!!) :)

unless you can get used to a twist throttle.

cals400ex
12-21-2003, 11:22 PM
are you running the moose with the fcr carb?

by the way, i think it is great that two girls in this thread alone run bikes with clutches. i have girls around here ask me to drive and i found it is best to let them sit on the back. :D
i really do think it is cool though.

DirtyGirl
12-22-2003, 08:12 AM
I've riden my husband's banshee with a twist throttle and I didn't like it much. I know I'd get used to it eventually but I just feel more comfortable with the thumb control. I was thinking of using one of the thumb extenders and trying to move the throttle assembly towards the steering stem more so that it doesn't stick out as far. That way I'd have more leverage but not have the lever reach all the way across my grip.

dirtmomma
12-22-2003, 08:47 AM
Well I have the same problem plus I have small hands so I kinda have to "reach" for my throttle. Here's what I did, I tried the extender but like batgeek said you can get in trouble w/ it, I didn't but it just didn't feel right, so I took that off & pushed my throttle closer to my grip & adjusted it to where it is comfy, I leave it jsut a tad loose so I can adjust if it needs be. I also lowered my bars, brought them back towards me a little I don't know if this is the fix but it's what worked for me. With my bars stock position I feel liek I'm trying to reach way too far out!! It doesn't bug me flattrackin & I havne't tried jumping yet w/ my bars that way so we'll have to see!! Here's a pic I don't know if you can tell how I have the bars sitting I'll try & get a better pic

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/pcfd251f23ee2183fd19e2be62ab182d4/fa49c341.jpg