PDA

View Full Version : easy out how do you work it?

Greg Z
12-21-2003, 09:11 AM
Hey how do you work easy out? I broke a bolt where the front sprocket is. I over tightend and it broke what do you do with easy out to take it out?

thanks

-Greg

Bill Fuller
12-21-2003, 09:28 AM
Drill a hole in the center of the broken bolt large enough for the easy out to fit into(it should tell you what size).Tap the easy out in the whole (TAP it don't drive it like a nail)and as you turn it counter clockwise it "digs"in to the bolt so it can turn.I would recommend spraying the bolt with a penatrating oil so it releases eaiser and let it cool down before removal.Do not break the easyout in the bolt or there will be a tough road ahead as the easyout is hardened steel.

Greg Z
12-21-2003, 09:48 AM
ok thank you! should it tell me in SAE i only have SAE drill bits :(

K_Fulk
12-21-2003, 09:53 AM
Where did you get your easyouts? I snaped the lower bolt holding my case saver last night.

hondafox440
12-21-2003, 10:06 AM
K_Fulk - I snapped that same bolt. I tried every drill bit I had, and even bought some special "ultra hardened" ones and tried masonry bits and still couldnt drill that bolt out enough to get the easy out in there. You should be able to get Easy-Outs at most hardware stores.

K_Fulk
12-21-2003, 10:10 AM
Maybe i'll just stop by my engine guy and have him get it out. I was going to put my motor on ebay today. But now i'm gonna wait till i get that bolt out. :mad: