PDA

View Full Version : adjusting throttle cable

set2crash67
12-21-2003, 08:31 AM
Is it true that the throttle cable on the 400ex only opens 75%? i saw on another web site that if u adjust the cable you can get it to open 100% and go faster is this true?:confused:

12-21-2003, 08:52 AM
the throttle cable moves the inside components to open the carburator...when the carburator is fully opened the throttle stops moving...you can adjust the throttle so you can push it FARTHER or push it LESS but you cannot make your carburator open more then it does...if you were to adjust it so you would have less throttle movement that would let u move the throttle less until getting to full throttle...or the position where the carburator is fully opened...for farther throttle travel you will have a lot more travel in the throttle and you will have to push it father to reach full throttle

btw welcome to the site :D

set2crash67
12-21-2003, 11:25 AM
o0o ok i se what you mean. thanks.... yea im new here how can i put a pic of my 400ex in the colum on the left side? I have another questions sorry about all the questions.... but if i modife the air box lid will it add ne hp/ speed? i have pics of how i want to modify it but i cant get the pics on here.

phebus
12-21-2003, 12:10 PM
My 400EX was delivered to me with the throttle adjustment screw screwed fully in. This only allowed for the throttle to open approx 75% of the way. I re-adjusted it to allow for 100% opening. I suggest you check yours. Take the airbox tube off, and adjust the screw on the throttle to allow it to open all the way. Check to make sure it will still idle fine, and turn the bars from side to side to make sure it isn't affected by bar position.

My understanding is that a lot of Honda's are delivered this way, as they come from the factory that way, and the dealer's don't check and adjust them prior to delivery.

Colby@C&DRacing
12-21-2003, 12:20 PM
Phebus is correct.

set2crash67
12-21-2003, 02:48 PM
thanks for all the help guys:)

ReconRider25
12-21-2003, 05:00 PM
where abouts is this screw on the carb and how do i know if its opened all the way?

cals400ex
12-21-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by ReconRider25
where abouts is this screw on the carb and how do i know if its opened all the way?

you can just adjust the cable up there on the handle bars. what may be easiest is that you take the black plate off of the top of the throttle linkage. when you look inside there, you can see how the cable operates. if you push the throttle all the way in and it is stopped by the back stop, you know yours isn't adjusted the way it should be. just turn the cable outward to tighten it. this adjustment can be made right up where the cable goes to the bars.

ewalker302
12-23-2003, 12:23 AM
Easy...

Just loosen the locknut/screw on the throttle cable (handlebars).

Then tighten the throttle cable----loosen the adjustment screw, till it starts to idle up, then back off a bit, tighten the locknut.

Your done.

& yes it is very possible that the carb isn't opening up all the way if the cable isn't adjusted properly. If you are moving the thumb throttle much at all without the engine responding, you need to adjust.

:bandit: