PDA

View Full Version : crf450 front master cylinder on a 250R??

250rpilot
12-20-2003, 11:32 PM
is it true that the crf450 front master cylinder provides better stopping power than the stock 250r one? (i read it somewhere) i am having a hard time believing that a master cylinder designed for a single small dual piston caliper, will push the required amount of fluid, as opposed to one designed for 2 dual piston calipers....the volume of the piston in the master cylinder is what concerns me. no doubt the crf master produces more pressure, but i am looking for a shorter brake lever throw with equal performance. there is a big difference in volume needed between 2 dual pistons and one dual piston caliper.

i am thinking of buying one, but i dont want to waste my 80 bux. any info appreciated, thanks:confused:

smith
12-22-2003, 07:44 AM
If you are trying to use the CRF front brake master cylinder be aware that it will most likely NOT work with a thumb throttle. You'd have to use a twist fyi.

440ex kid
12-22-2003, 09:08 AM
My friend has used to have one on his 400ex, it does require some modification to get it around the thumb throttle. He took it off because it didnt keep pressure when the fluid got hot. I dunno about it on a 250r with dual piston calipers though.

310Rduner
12-22-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by 250rpilot
is it true that the crf450 front master cylinder provides better stopping power than the stock 250r one? (i read it somewhere) i am having a hard time believing that a master cylinder designed for a single small dual piston caliper, will push the required amount of fluid, as opposed to one designed for 2 dual piston calipers....the volume of the piston in the master cylinder is what concerns me. no doubt the crf master produces more pressure, but i am looking for a shorter brake lever throw with equal performance. there is a big difference in volume needed between 2 dual pistons and one dual piston caliper.

i am thinking of buying one, but i dont want to waste my 80 bux. any info appreciated, thanks:confused:

Since you just want better lever performance, try picking up an adjustable Rtc lever. There is a review on it, and it says that it has a lot of adjustability, and you can shorten the throw on it I believe.

Hotdog
12-22-2003, 01:18 PM
I dont think it would work very well since it is set up to control pne caliper not two.

250rpilot
12-22-2003, 04:22 PM
ok, thanks guys.....:)

310r, i will check the rtc lever out, i already have the ezpull clutch lever and i really like it.