PDA

View Full Version : Port or leave stock R cylinder

MP250r
12-20-2003, 02:07 AM
Ok i sold my Mp full race cylinder and i got me a stock 86 cylinder. I cant decide weather to get this cylinder ported or not if i do it will be a real light port job. I want to make sure the bike is really smooth and im not fighting a peaky powerband. Im going to be running it gncc this year. what do you guys think?

RUNMYTA
12-20-2003, 06:28 AM
I would send it to Arlan at LRD and let him port it for XC. You will definitly need the extra power when you hit the wide open sections in GNCC. I am running a LRD cylinder and it has the smoothest power curve of any bike I have ever ridden!

yamasaki_125
12-20-2003, 01:21 PM
talk to sandtrix on this site, he can build you a motor that has a nice smooth powerband and lots of power too, way better than LRD, they just do "cookie cutter" porting

wilkin250r
12-20-2003, 05:57 PM
If you actually plan on racing GNCC then definitly get it ported.

AndrewRRR
12-20-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by yamasaki_125
talk to sandtrix on this site, he can build you a motor that has a nice smooth powerband and lots of power too, way better than LRD, they just do "cookie cutter" porting

I bet Bill Ballance would disagree with that statement. lol

airheadedduner
12-20-2003, 10:15 PM
Yeah I heard that too:rolleyes:

Every cylinder sent to LRD is ported by Arlen to ensure quailty control, not even compannies like Duncan or Sparks offer that, though they do excellent work too. Arlen may use a templetes(this I don't know for sure) but every port job is to the customers specs. You call LRD for porting, prepare to answer a bunch of questions. It is far from a cookie cutter job.

yamasaki_125
12-20-2003, 10:47 PM
yeah i am sure bill ballances motor would be fast cuz he is a pro and sponsored by them, but places like MP Racing, SandTrix are going to build a faster motor for the average joe

rs169300
12-20-2003, 11:12 PM
i run GNCC and ended up 3rd in the 250B class with no porting. In the wide open sections i pulled away from any 4 st. I am running 265 A this year with no porting. It is not that big of a deal. Just get some good shocks first, b/c the 250 will out run any quad out there.

airheadedduner
12-20-2003, 11:47 PM
yeah i am sure bill ballances motor would be fast cuz he is a pro and sponsored by them, but places like MP Racing, SandTrix are going to build a faster motor for the average joe
:huh :confused: :huh

RUNMYTA
12-21-2003, 03:50 AM
Just get some good shocks first, b/c the 250 will out run any quad out there.

Lets see that 250 out run my banshee!:rolleyes:

400exdad
12-21-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by RUNMYTA
Lets see that 250 out run my banshee!:rolleyes:

I think he's saying that the R is the fastest quad out there for woods or GNCC type racing. You don't see too many Banshees doing very well there. Where the Banshee does well, no shocks are needed.

Pappy
12-21-2003, 08:08 AM
lol....even if i wanted a cylinder ported id stay away from the shop thats being pushed in this thread:rolleyes: if you fellas are going to refer a company try doing it with a touch of class;)

i dont beleive ive heard bad words about many shops that do port work so just do a few phone calls and go who you feel is gonna give you the best bang for your buck.

as far as needing port work. this year a stock R will be needing a bit more grunt to fend off the new breed of 4 smokes. if the gncc people set up tracks that favor the thumper's you will need every advantage you can get.

400exdad
12-21-2003, 12:29 PM
I agree with you Pappy! The 2 stroke is about to become extinct in this type of racing.