PDA

View Full Version : Valve Adjustment

Mudd Shark
12-19-2003, 07:07 PM
The valve adjustment information was very helpful. I did my valves in about 1/2 hour. I had one valve out of adjustment.
One of the intake valves was out to .006 and I adjusted down to .004. Both exhaust valves were at .005.

What kind of movement should be expected and how often should you be checking the valves? Any body know?

2004 - 400EX

cals400ex
12-20-2003, 01:09 AM
if one was off your bike should be quieter and it may give a little more power. when mine were off, i noticed the most power loss in the upper 2 gears. so when i fixed them i gained that power back in 4th and 5th.

12-27-2003, 01:58 PM
would you reccommend to someone that has never worked on the inside of an engine before to try this with their manual & other facts? or should I just take it to the local stealership?

cals400ex
12-27-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
would you reccommend to someone that has never worked on the inside of an engine before to try this with their manual & other facts? or should I just take it to the local stealership?

if you have the manual or the print out off of this site, i would do it yourself. it isn't hard and i don't think it is possible to really mess anything up. all you have to do is make sure the flywheel is lined up at the T on the compression stroke. also, make sure you adjust valves when the bike is COLD, not after you started it. when you put the feeler guage in, make sure there is resistance on it. some people say to adjust the valves with slight resistance. this won't be enough. make sure it is tight enough so you have too somewhat push the feeler guage through. when they are set a little loose, you will have louder valves and it is also a little slower in the upper gears. good luck

12-27-2003, 06:56 PM
airight...time to go get a feeler gauge & get to work :macho