PDA

View Full Version : pros and cons

linkcmd88
12-19-2003, 01:50 PM
tell me the pros and cons of both the yfz and 450r

MX#9
12-19-2003, 02:08 PM
I won't start any more arguments as their are hunderds posted already. Some are bull or just someones one-sided opinion because of their love for Yamaha or Honda. Some are very good from some open minded people, you need to search for them in the threads. Here is one though that is very much pro Yamaha.You can take your hard earned cash TODAY to a Yammie dealer and bring home a YFZ450 TODAY. It looks like for a 450r it will a MINIMUM of at least a month.

lukester720
12-19-2003, 02:57 PM
Pro: the trx450r has won every race it has entered.(although one was a pro against amatuers.)

Con: there not available to the general public till january 28. At least hopefully.

12-19-2003, 06:38 PM
Ok i dont want to start anything this is just my own personal opinion. oh i also ride a YFZ but am not brand loyal.

YFZ pros
- electric start (pro in my book) you can buy after market Kick
-higher compression
- more suspension travel
-DOHC=more power but a little more weight

Note these machines are very alike. The TRX is a little longer, wider but i think the seat hight is taller? But dont quote me on that. Later

BigAl
12-19-2003, 07:21 PM
can you say GroundHog Day?

dirtriderex
12-19-2003, 07:59 PM
YFZ pros-
E-start, longer suspension, lower seat height, fcr carb, titanium valves
Trx Pros-
Strong frame, reliability
I can get the Yfz for less too

r450rr
12-19-2003, 11:05 PM
450r pros//: longer suspension(better handling)....wider and longer.....better seat comfort so iv herd....costs less, and i am talking about msrp..cause even though the r might be more right now in the long run it will cost less..oem parts are cheaper...all those extra rings and stuff to do with the piston...HRC kit...shock resevoirs are hidden....the tranny oil is seperated from the other oil supposed to improve reliablility...its a "R" if u go back in history and check ur self ..... the 250R is prolly the single best quad ever produced... and they have a lot to live up to with this new one.. just to be able to name it after that quad.. so i dont think they would go as far as to name it after the 250r if it wasnt a good quad...

and they better hurry up an release it or i am going to freak out

biohazard1.2
12-20-2003, 04:54 AM
ok...but you are not correct on the suspension travel. The YFZ has an inch more front and rear.

As far as reliablity...IT IS NOT EVEN RELEASED YET and THEY KEEP POSTPONING THE RELEASE...that is realiable.

I look forward to seeing one. I was the first on the list at our local Honda dealer and was to be able to ride one last week, according to the Sale Mgr. When they pushed the release back another 20 days...I told him forget it.

I spent the money on Christmas presents for the wife and daughter...and other family members (me too!)

take care and see you on the trails!

dirtriderex
12-20-2003, 07:01 AM
peace:cool:

VIC
12-20-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by biohazard1.2
ok...but you are not correct on the suspension travel. The YFZ has an inch more front and rear.

I think he was trying to say it has longer shocks.

Bad Habit
12-20-2003, 02:50 PM
Give me a break, how can you guys even answer this question?

Lets's see..........

Pros - People have ridden the Yamaha

Cons - (most)People have NOT ridden the Honda

So unless you are asking this question to the team that rode the one at Baja or the group of media invited to TX, no one can answer this question. Some of these "opinions" are really quite laughable.

OK, I feel better now......done venting.

4fiddyR
12-20-2003, 05:14 PM
I agree with yellow416,

It is not even out to do a pro/con comarison.

If you want a honest one here ya go.

The YFZ is out and can be bought by the public.

The TRX is on hold.

We need to be patient, and hope for the best.

450rboy
12-20-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by BigAl

i am just woundering why you said groundhog day..........because i live in the town that celebrates Groundhog day.......the town is called Punxsutawney, PA

trx440
12-21-2003, 02:36 AM
When is groundhog's day 450Rboy? Maybe you will see the 450R by then.

linkcmd88
12-21-2003, 11:25 AM
i wont to hear pros and cons of the yfz more cus i know the 450r is not out yet

450rboy
12-21-2003, 03:13 PM
trx440............groundhog day is Feb 2............yea i hope i will see a 450r then by too.

BigAl
12-21-2003, 04:42 PM
You guys ever see the movie, Groundhog Day with Bill Murray?

He relives the same day over and over and over.

I figured this thread would turn into another one of the 100 or so yfz vs trx flamefests.

r450rr
12-21-2003, 07:54 PM
yea i didnt say that the 450R had more suspension travel i was talking about.. it has longer shocks.... period........ that will result in better handling... and it is wider to and longer...

biohazard1.2
12-22-2003, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by r450rr
yea i didnt say that the 450R had more suspension travel i was talking about.. it has longer shocks.... period........ that will result in better handling... and it is wider to and longer...

Then say what you mean....1" longer shocks is not the same as 1" more suspension travel PERIOD.

Longer shocks DO NOT equate to better handling. This is so simple a concept, I will not explain it.

When it comes out, and you have had a chance to ride both somewhere other than the DEALERS Parking lot, then give us the "which is better".

I have ridden every sport quad available today...and owned two 250rs, I await the "back to the drawing boards" TRX450R.

putzld
12-22-2003, 06:56 AM
Its better than Yamaha releasing the "battery fryer" YFZ450

biohazard1.2
12-22-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by putzld

I have had mine for over 2 months and rode it many times, and cranked the starter many times....never any probs with the battery.

ATC83
12-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by putzld

I've had my YFZ450 since August and I have never had any trouble with the battery. I just went riding last week and it was only 15 degrees out and the battery had no trouble cranking over the cold engine.

seatec
12-22-2003, 12:21 PM
how many races has the TRX450 been in. i know of the baja and the Glen Helen Race?

It is true that some batteries malfunctioned. the easy way around that is to just leave you lights on for now. That way it wont get over charged which seems to be the problem on some of the quads. i for one always forget to turn my lights on but still have a good cranking battery.

putzld
12-22-2003, 06:00 PM
Im sorry about that boihazard, I was just making a joke in responce no harm no foul right?

But seriously that is where Honda gets thier reputation for durability. They test and test and test.
Most of the other Japanese brands are pretty darn good in reliability though also.
You guys havent had problems which is good.
There are documented problems though, like this at the PDV

"...were suprised with ignition problems, the stock battery being the likely culprit. A few other YFZ-mounted teams had similar problems."
From ATV Sport

I dont mean to offend you guys if you thought I was...

dirtriderex
12-22-2003, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I read that from team Duncan

r450rr
12-22-2003, 08:32 PM
period period period PERIOD!!!!! i didnt say anything about it having more suspension travel go back and look turd ferguson...ur nothing but a smart ***** who thinks they know everything....(Ihave riddin ever sport quad made,,, that was ur attempt to sound important and make ur view sound superior to mine.... well what i said was that the "R" has longer suspension... that might have gotten taken wrong by people that nit pick.. but what i actually meant was that it has longer shocks.. not travel SHOCKS!!!!... the R is also longer and wider ,, and i myself think that will result in a better handling quad than the jerky yfz... and its pretty common for people to state that longer shocks and a wider stance will result in better handling..notice i say will result.. i didnt say anything factual like i have ridden it.. i am just baseing this on the numbers,,, JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE... so go ahead and get offinded by my posts and devend ur little yfz as much as u can i dont knock u for doing it,,, but go back and read my posts i said nothing about more travel...arse

biohazard1.2
12-25-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by r450rr
period period period PERIOD!!!!! i and i myself think that will result in a better handling quad than the jerky yfz... and its pretty common for people to state that longer shocks and a wider stance will result in better handling..notice i say will result.. i didnt say anything factual like i have ridden it.. i am just baseing this on the numbers,,, JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE... so go ahead and get offinded by my posts and devend ur little yfz as much as u can i dont knock u for doing it,,, but go back and read my posts i said nothing about more travel...arse

PUTZLD...it is all good!

rr450r has other issues.

reread your posts, Why, you have no idea what you wrote...and it defys logic.

YOU HAVE NEVER RIDDEN A YFZ AND HAVE THE BALLZ (ON YOUR FOREHEAD) TO discuss its riding characteristics?!?!...

Just becuz you scratch your *** does not make you a proctologist.

You calling me an idiot...that is...amusing.

Merry Christmas.

r450rr
12-25-2003, 10:12 PM
merry christmas.....

listen i have riddenayfz, u knob goblin, my friend has one,i am just saying man that i did NOT say anything about more travel i promise u that. go back and look..

ur the idiot.. this all got started because u accused me of saying it has more travel...but i said nothing of the sort so really lets just end it

trx440
12-25-2003, 10:34 PM
Come on guys, it's obvious I'm the idiot. For I am the one that keeps clicking on the thread updates to read about you two argue over nothing.

Knob Goblin, that's funny. Bio I'm not saying you are one. Though I have been brushing up on my Internal Combustion Engine and thermodynamics so that I can figure out why 5 valves are better than 4 but 6 valves are plain goofy. Next thing you know Yamaha will invent the oval piston.

r450rr
12-25-2003, 11:08 PM
lol no next they will come out with a rotary engine on there quads... what ever happened to the rotary engine.

wasnt it in a rx7 or something

but listen biohazard lets just not argue anymore ok sorry about what i said its the holidays no use in bickering over something as meaningless as this.. truths

biohazard1.2
12-26-2003, 06:01 AM
The Rotax engine is alive and well...ATK, Bombardier...still utilize them...

putzld
12-26-2003, 08:57 AM
I think he means the rotary engine such as in the mazda RX-7 and now RX-8, nice engines.

r450rr
12-26-2003, 01:42 PM
yea i mean the older mazda rx-7.. the rotary not rotax... i think the rotary engine had no cylinders and it also had not max rpm... so i dont understand what happened with it.. if anyone knows why it would be good to know..

putzld
12-26-2003, 10:44 PM
The new Mazda RX-8 uses the rotary engine.
http://www2.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/rx8/rx8_main_flash.jsp

trx440
12-26-2003, 11:14 PM
Bombardier uses Rotax because it owns Rotax, ATK has switched to Maico for the most part.

Wait till next year when they re-introduce the RX-7 with a turbocharged 3 rotor. Over 400hp from the factory.

r450rr
12-27-2003, 01:21 AM
wow the rx-8 won engine of the year... but anyways rotary must be a very good concept for a motor.. wonder if they will ever put one in a quad..?? but its off the subject so none has to answer..

putzld.. thanks for the link though

lukester720
12-27-2003, 03:24 AM
In the old rx-7's the crank or cam or whatever that thing was wore out over a short time and was expensive to replace.

In the new ones they found a way to harden them much more to keep them from wearing out so quickly. Less moving parts than a standard motor = more hp plus you can rev those motors like no other.

300extreme#8
01-02-2004, 04:02 PM
I believe exriders kinda started the 450r imformations forum abit to early but then again they did postpone it again right after he mad this forum but o well