PDA

View Full Version : 2003 400EX - Parking Brake Problems

Redone
12-19-2003, 12:42 PM
Does anyone have problems with their parking brake not working after its used a few times. I've been told by my dealer that it is a bad design and needs to be adjusted after every ride(unacceptable!).

Others tell me to disconnect it because that's what the racers do........well I don't race and have no desire to. I only ride trails and need the parking brake.

Thanks for any feedback!

toby400ex
12-19-2003, 12:44 PM
Not just racers remove it, yes it does have to be adjusted almost every ride and even then it wears out your break pads. Its basically useless, just park the quad with it in gear. The thing comes off pretty simply anyway.

12-19-2003, 01:22 PM
i dont race but i took mine off the day I saw how pointless & crappy it was....all the parking breaks on all the 4 wheelers are crappy like this one too...there no point for them, put your 4 wheeler in 1st gear, best parking break ull have....the parking break also wears ur break padas down super fast

phebus
12-19-2003, 06:06 PM
What is involved installing the parking brake block off? Is it a simple bolt on, or do you have to replace your cables as well?

Thanks

12-19-2003, 06:42 PM
u take the 2 screws off the parking break that attches it to the caliper....then you undo the line all the way up to your handlebars...then you take your little block off plate & attch it to your caliper with the 2 bolts....this is very easy...if you attempt this you will be able to do it unless your a half blind retarded monkey. & something tells me your not :confused:

phebus
12-19-2003, 06:59 PM
Who makes the block off's, and where can I get one?

dannyboy20
12-19-2003, 07:26 PM
do u have to buy a new clutch lever when u remove the brake ?

12-19-2003, 08:34 PM
you can get these block off plates anywhere...ebay, rocky mountain....you can still use your same perch

12-19-2003, 10:37 PM
all you do is unscrew the parking break and put a small peice of metal on there to protect that area...then you remove the cable and thats it...u may want to zip tie that small metal peice to something so it doesnt raddle...usually all it takes is 1 ride for them to stop working...thats why everyone takes them off...but if you still want it ur gonna have to adjust it after each ride :( ...kinda pointless tho...i would ditch it and get the blockoff

dannyboy20
12-20-2003, 04:56 PM
were can i get a block off plate ????

ridesa02400EX
12-20-2003, 05:02 PM
why would you need a parking brake when you can just leave it in gear. you can get a block off plate from just about anywhere, nacs racing, duncan racing, golden west cycle