PDA

View Full Version : Octane Boost vs Race Gas

Quadzilla
12-19-2003, 11:23 AM
I know this might stir it up a bit. I'm not asking whether or not I can use octane boost as opposed to race gas (50/50 mix of race/pump) regularly. Where I ride (remote part of PA) we go very far into the woods and many, many miles away from where we start. We typically gas up in these little towns that we hit via the woods (15 - 40 mi apart from each other). They typically dont' have race gas.

So while my day may start with the 50/50 mix, it may lead to me having to put pump gas in mixed with octane boost. Will this at least prevent detonation? I'm sure that the performance will be inferior, but it's more about not blowing the head gasket. BTW, I'm building an 11:1 setup, so I *might* be ok with pump. I also have one of those FST style cooler setups (by Jason Birklind)and I know that I've read that heat is the main reason why our aircooled motors can't run higher compression with pump gas, so the cooler may help this a little (along with the scoops I'm installing).

Anyway, anyone use octane boost in a pinch to prevent detonation?

4TraxRider
12-19-2003, 11:52 AM
I think i remember a post about this saying that it's not safe and not very good for your engine either. It only rasies octane like .4 I beleive, depending on the brand. I'm not to sure of this exactly,so anybody correct me if I'm wrong or totally off. I'm pretty sure Wilkin250r had a good explanaiton of this topic.

wilkin250r
12-19-2003, 05:28 PM
Search some of the old threads, there have been lots of topics about octane boosters.

Octane boosters usually use one of two methods, Toluene and MTBE, but there are a few others, such as MMT, ETBE or alcohols.

Toluene is a pretty harsh solvent, and can cause wear on your valve seats and rubber and plastic components such as your fuel line, floats, ect.

MTBE and ETBE are oxygenates, and can leave engine deposits. Also, because they add oxygen, they actually lean out your mixture just a little.

Tetraethyl lead can be used, and it doesn't really have quite the harmful side effects that the others have. In fact, the lead will help lubricate your engine a bit, but it pollutes more, so it may be difficult to find. Also, I think lead is less effective as an octane booster.

As for effectiveness, it's really a toss-up. Some will give you a boost, others can actually decrease performance. The 0.4 increase really isn't accurate. Toluene, for example, is actually very effective at increasing your octane rating. However, like I said, it is also a harsh solvent with potentially nasty side-effects.

I always tell people to stay away from octane boosters, but it is always in response to "Can I use it instead of race gas?" Detonation is VERY bad on your engine, and octane boosters can be SLIGHTLY bad for your engine.

In your case, I would say go ahead and use the octane booster in an emergency. Don't make a habit of it, but if you are ever faced with the choice of octane booster or detonation, ALWAYS choose the octane booster.

12-20-2003, 12:55 AM
do a search on it alot of stuff should come up but its not that good for ur engine.

RED121572
12-20-2003, 01:27 PM
Ive used both race gas and octane booster. My vote goes to race gas.

stupid driver
12-20-2003, 03:32 PM
Octane boost is not an alternative to race gas. It actually makes your engine hotter. I did an experiment w/ octane boost on an engine that i found, and compared it to race gas. It has almost the exact opposite effects as race gas. That, and then it turned the inside of the motor all reddish in color. I wasnt too impressed with that :confused:

airheadedduner
12-20-2003, 10:38 PM
If you are 11:1 then if you dumped octane booster in you would probly be okay. I would not recomend octane booster, despite what they say it leaves too much crap in your motor. Its if you where at a much higher compression that I would be concerened. Like a lot of things most octane boosters arn't what they say on the can. Each batch will very some. One batch may work good for you, next time you buy it, it could be off. If you can get it, find some MMT(methyl cyclopetandienyl manganese tricarbonyl). It is the base for a lot of octane boosters and will get you around 4 points or more. I don't know if it is still availible though. I heard you can use acetone as an octane booster, but like totuol, it is a little harsh on valve seats.

300expower
12-21-2003, 06:05 PM
my buddy has a 11:1 in his 440ex, and run straight pump gaz, 94 octane, and he dont have a problem with his bike, sometimes he pute vp red when he goes to the drag strip, but that's all

i dont think that 11:1 his a very very high compression rate, if you were running 12.5:1 i would say, run ultimate 4 all the time, but 11:1 is normal, raptors have 11:1 straight from the dealer, do they need to run on race gas all the time? i dont think so

and dont remember the price for the race gas, if you full your bike 2 times a day, it will be a pricy day:rolleyes:

cals400ex
12-21-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by 300expower
my buddy has a 11:1 in his 440ex, and run straight pump gaz, 94 octane, and he dont have a problem with his bike, sometimes he pute vp red when he goes to the drag strip, but that's all

i dont think that 11:1 his a very very high compression rate, if you were running 12.5:1 i would say, run ultimate 4 all the time, but 11:1 is normal, raptors have 11:1 straight from the dealer, do they need to run on race gas all the time? i dont think so

and dont remember the price for the race gas, if you full your bike 2 times a day, it will be a pricy day:rolleyes:

the liquid cooled bikes also run cooler so they won't need as much octane.

wilkin250r
12-21-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
the liquid cooled bikes also run cooler so they won't need as much octane.

Indeed. Then issue behind all the compression and detonation is heat, and since the liquid-cooled motors generally run cooler, you can go a little higher in compression before you reach detonation.

Also, there are other tricks and methods to reduce heat inside the engine, and these little tricks could have been designed into the engine from the factory to allow the Raptor to run 11:1 on pump gas.

cals400ex
12-22-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Indeed. Then issue behind all the compression and detonation is heat, and since the liquid-cooled motors generally run cooler, you can go a little higher in compression before you reach detonation.

Also, there are other tricks and methods to reduce heat inside the engine, and these little tricks could have been designed into the engine from the factory to allow the Raptor to run 11:1 on pump gas.

good point, some engines will just be better than others by how they were designed. has anyone tried the coating you can put over the pistons and other internal parts to reduce some heat?? i think sparks and lrd does it as well as many other companies.

300exthumperluv
12-22-2003, 03:41 PM
Do you have a larger tank? That might be the best way to ensure you get more miles out of a tank before worrying about refilling with race gas.

Britt
12-22-2003, 04:48 PM
Wilkin250r is very smart. Good advice. I would add that if you look at octane boosters read the can. All of the "boosters" that I have read (regardless of the ingredients) state that it raises octane "effect". By cleaning carbon deposits you eliminate some predetonation caused by the hot deposits actually preignitiing the incoming fuel charge (hence the reason for harsh chemicals such as Tolulene). Don't use it. None of the tests that I have read show any improvement in performance.

Britt

airheadedduner
12-23-2003, 10:47 PM
Less agressive timming also helps prevent detonation. So if you where to run 11:1 with a sparks or other manufacturers flywheel key you may have issuses.

RIDER11X
12-23-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Quadzilla
I know this might stir it up a bit. I'm not asking whether or not

Anyway, anyone use octane boost in a pinch to prevent detonation?

Suggestion: Why not buy an IMS Tank that holds more gas?:confused: