PDA

View Full Version : Stranded please help! Mazda MX6

eric02400ex
12-19-2003, 08:48 AM
My 91 Mazda MX-6 snapped it's alternator belt last night. My girlfriend was driving it and had every available electronic device on, which of course drained the battery and left her stranded beside the road. I went and got her and looked at the belts and it seems that the serpentine belt must come off to get the alternator belt on. I couldn't find a tensioner for the serpentine belt, does the air conditioner have an adjustment, or do I have to do something else to loosen the belt. I have posted threads all over the mazda forums and have not been replied to, so I thought that the people here are very nice and knowledgeable, and maybe they can help me. Thanks in advance for you help.

Eric

TheX1992
12-19-2003, 10:20 AM
there should just be an idle wheel on it. there is no way that you can get a belt on without having it loose. on my old volkswagen the alternator was actually the idle wheel. it had one pivot bolt and you just stuck a crowbar in there to tighten it then tighten the bolt (had a spacer w/ teeth on another bar with teeth). look for something like that.

zarquon442
12-19-2003, 10:50 AM
I have a 95 mx6 and my outer belt is tensioned by the power steering pump. the motor is a 2.0 L 4 CYL. and yes its a dog!

honda350r
12-19-2003, 12:44 PM
The alternator has it own belt! It adjust with the movement of the alternator! The A/C belt must be removed before you can put the new alt belt on !! That is what you get for ignoring the screeching sound of the belt everytime you fire it up !