PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change Mystery.....

polabareus
12-19-2003, 12:53 AM
Ok, see if this makes sense. I did the first oil change on my new 250ex. I put in 1.7 qts of oil (which is what the manual said) and after a little ride around the yard I checked the oil level and it was just above the measuring part of the dipstick. So ok I thought no problem I'll just take some out. I took out a good bit of oil and rode it around the yard again and when I checked the oil level it was in the same spot. So I took out another good bit of oil rode around the yard and the oil level was still at the same spot. I repeated this another time and still the oil level was at the same spot. When I checked the oil I used a rag on the dipstick so It was clean and the quad was on perfectly level ground. I followed the manual exactly and Ive changed oil on all sorts of different things and never had any thing like this happen. I did however decide to ride the bike anyway and went for a good long ride in the snow. I'd stop along the way and check the oil but it remained just above normal. I was kind of worried about having too much oil in there but I had dumped so much out that I was also worried about too little being in there. The bike rode fine and there was no abnormal ticking or anything. So if by chance you might have any possible reasons for this little dilema I'd sure like to hear them.

Braff1
12-19-2003, 03:11 AM
I don't have a 250 ex but I have the same problem with the 400 ex. The only thing I can account this too is that to fill the engine when completely empty. When you change the oil there will be a little bit left in the block. I usually add about a quart and a half, start it, let idle for about 5 min. shut it off and let sit for 2 min. then just top off as needed.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Jimford
12-19-2003, 06:16 AM
usually if you look in the manual it will tell you how much oil to put in when you cahange the oil filter and when you don't. If you let the engine idle for 2-3 min. then let it sit for a min. it will settle and you will get an acurate reading. It a pain in the but sometimes!

Aceman
12-19-2003, 08:50 PM
Also, don't screw your dipstick in. You just stick it in the hole and pull it back out to check the oil.