PDA

View Full Version : question about heat and glass

416exmx
12-18-2003, 06:52 PM
i took my CRF450 motor side covers to get powder coated today. the left side has a glass "sight glass" used to check oil level. it was put in the cover then a metal washer was pressed around it to hold it in from factory. you cannot buy these parts seperate from honda, and they would be hard to get out of the cover. the powder coater said his oven get up to 350 degrees for 30 minutes. anyone know if this glass will withstand that heat for that long without busting, has anyone ever had problems like this before. i noticed our member "seven" had powder coated his CRF side covers,(what did you do seven?)... anyone else have any ideas??

MOFO
12-18-2003, 06:57 PM
I'm gonna guess it will be ok. That glass holds up to very high temps (not as high as 350), but I think really hot oil can reach 250 or so...if not higher.

Pappy
12-18-2003, 06:58 PM
id say its pretty safe

id tell the pc'r to bring the part up to temp slow and it should work out for ya.

416exmx
12-18-2003, 07:01 PM
wgat about the little o-ring that is in there in front of the glass, think it would be ok???

Pappy
12-18-2003, 07:04 PM
if its a metal clip id assume it will be ok. if i was doing it id place a piece of temp tape over it to deflect a portion of the heat away from the glass. with metal and temperature you always run the risk of something going wrong. ive found plenty of cracks in parts only after a heat cycle.

i know of a person who tried to pc a mastercylinder with bad bad results...but that eye is held in with a polymer bushing.

danney f
12-19-2003, 12:08 AM
I've always removed them. They can be removed if caution is used. Than replaced and sealed with automotive silicon, followed by pressing the metal washer back in.