PDA

View Full Version : what would u do... i have to decide...

Tommy 17
12-18-2003, 06:15 PM
well my parents asked me this yesterday...

i can either go to college and stay... or they will buy me any truck i want brand new (silverado 1500 HD or a avalanche or a Silverado SS) and commute... its 25 mins each way and in the end the prices and cost will even out to be the same around 35,000$

they offered this to my sister last year of any car she wants and she picked the staying at college...

i need some help bc this is a big decision... 5 years of partyin meeting new people having fun (mayb evenmeeting my future wife never know) or commute and already have a nice truck and stay home...

i dunno what to do:(

toby400ex
12-18-2003, 06:17 PM
wtf, id take the truck, hey that rhymes:huh

Pappy
12-18-2003, 06:18 PM
take the truck and school local. yer pops needs you around the house;)

LTandRaptorider
12-18-2003, 06:19 PM
What he^^^^^ said!

Tommy 17
12-18-2003, 06:23 PM
i was leanin more towards the other option of goin to the dorms then to the apartments and then greek life...

this is so hard to decide... bc in the end it the same... college tuition is cheap... it the dorms, and food plans that kill u...

can u believe my food plan is 1900$ a semister:eek2: and thats only eating 2 meals a day 5 days a week

WalshKFX
12-18-2003, 06:24 PM
take the truck and if there are parties , just drive up to them. i would never give up a brand new truck:cool:

AtvMxRider
Get the truck.

Pappy
let the other boys go play greek geek.

pappy would stay home and cruise town in the new chevy and nail all the girls that got left behind:devil:

lil400exman
12-18-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
i was leanin more towards the other option of goin to the dorms then to the apartments and then greek life...

this is so hard to decide... bc in the end it the same... college tuition is cheap... it the dorms, and food plans that kill u...

can u believe my food plan is 1900$ a semister:eek2: and thats only eating 2 meals a day 5 days a week
trust me going back and forth will be better. I dont know my sister went to college the good ol way and got alot of bad stories etc. about it. And also u get a new truck. Imo i agreee with pappy-boy

MOFO
12-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Honestly, I think I would take the truck. Think about the big picture.... you will be starting out way ahead of the game. When most people graduate, they will be buying a vehicle and having a large car loan. You'll be scott free and lookin for homes by that time......with a nice vehicle thats paid off.

But I understand what you mean about missing out on the social part of it. I had more than enough friends that went away to college that I would visit.....after an entire weekend, it was nice to come home to a nice clean place that didnt stink of stale beer and cig's.

BTW, I met my future wife in the middle of Rt 22-30 after a Jimmy Buffett show. Trust me, you'll meet the girl your suppose to meet... :devil:

...if you pick the truck...2 things.

(1) Go GMC...new chevys dont look so good, unless you get the SS.
(2) Get the GM Factory Extended warrantee...this will cover ya when your out of school with alot more miles.

bone705
12-18-2003, 06:30 PM
dont pass up a new truck.

jay's 300
12-18-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
let the other boys go play greek geek.

pappy would stay home and cruise town in the new chevy and nail all the girls that got left behind:devil:

no question about it! Definately go w/ the truck and commute! :macho

250x#93
12-18-2003, 06:32 PM
I dunno guys that really is a very tuff decision... i dunno what i would do... I mean a brand new truck may sound very tempting but 25 minutes each way... I dunno but that just sounds like rackin up sum high miles by the time ur outta college.. And it would give u a lot of freedom stayin at college. Over all though i think i would have to break down and go for the truck;)

jay's 300
12-18-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
Honestly, I think I would take the truck. Think about the big picture.... you will be starting out way ahead of the game. When most people graduate, they will be buying a vehicle and having a large car loan. You'll be scott free and lookin for homes by that time......with a nice vehicle thats paid off.

But I understand what you mean about missing out on the social part of it. I had more than enough friends that went away to college that I would visit.....after an entire weekend, it was nice to come home to a nice clean place that didnt stink of stale beer and cig's.

BTW, I met my future wife in the middle of Rt 22-30 after a Jimmy Buffett show. Trust me, you'll meet the girl your suppose to meet... :devil:

Absolutely! You'll have one major debt out of the way! Then there's just two left ( house and wife, w/ that you create more! lol) You'll meet the right one no matter what you road you take, they all meet back up on down the road as far as that's concerned. Good luck :D

Narly R
12-18-2003, 06:45 PM
Well i have to go with everyone else, and say get the truck. I ya get a job then maybe you can always get a like 400 dollar car to go back and forth with, but a NEW truck is always way nice. Thats cool that your parents are willing to buy a new truck for ya! My mom has a newer GMC and she gets really sick of going prolly 60-90 miles a day just from work and back. She wants to get a cheap little car for that, but get the truck.

Motoman440
12-18-2003, 06:46 PM
Which school will give you the better education and be more recognized??? That means something when you are first out interviewing for jobs after you graduate. That should make your decision for you.

killed300ex
12-18-2003, 06:53 PM
how far you going to be traveling. I know that if my parents were to offer it and it was under a 45 minute commute i would definitly take the truck. I love driveing and having a brand new truck to drive would be sweet. But thats just me
killed

Pappy
12-18-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Motoman440
Which school will give you the better education and be more recognized??? That means something when you are first out interviewing for jobs after you graduate. That should make your decision for you.

ignore him tommy...look at what state he lives in:devil: :blah:

2001400ex
12-18-2003, 06:54 PM
Spend the five years at college and get an education. In the long run you can have a truck worth any amount of money if you don't fail out of College and do good. You can either have something temporary and have to sell it ten years from now, or you can have your education forever and live wealthy.

MOFO
12-18-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
Spend the five years at college and get an education. In the long run you can have a truck worth any amount of money if you don't fail out of College and do good. You can either have something temporary and have to sell it ten years from now, or you can have your education forever and live wealthy.

He is not giving up college... just not staying on campus.

2001400ex
12-18-2003, 06:56 PM
Yeah I re-read that after I posted that, oh well lol!:blah:

Tommy 17
12-18-2003, 06:57 PM
its the same exact school... penn state... moto man

i think the dorms would be better for me... when i come out i will have no loan (thanks to a awesome uncle that put some money in stocks for me when i was born)... and hopefully (i know sometimes things don't work out) but i'll have a job as a civil engineer makin 65,000$ a year... i can buy that same truck soon as i get a STEADY job... in the end i'll have the same truck (if i stay with 0 miles if i go with 5 years of commuting miles) its either i want a truck payment in the end and memories of the good times... or no truck payment and the WHAT IF if i went to the dorms and stayed... i have till january 22nd to decide this...

my parents and the rest of my family was offered this also... they can't see goin to collge for 35,000$ stayin there with nothing physical to show in the end... they would rather me have something to show for it... i also think they are scared that if i stay they know i'll party and they think i'll flunk out... schools 1st on my list

MOFO
12-18-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
i also think they are scared that if i stay they know i'll party and they think i'll flunk out... schools 1st on my list

I'm sure its on their mind. I have a few friends that flunked out and wasted $$$$$ of their parents money. Now they have no education because they could not decide when to party and when to study.

Whatever you choose, if you flunk out, I'm gonna kikkk ya in the dirt pile! :devil:

Tommy 17
12-18-2003, 07:02 PM
u won't be the only one that'll kick muh butt:o :p :blah:

Guy400
12-18-2003, 07:40 PM
50 miles round trip x 5 days a week= 250 miles
Typical college semester is 15 weeks. 30 weeks (one year) x 250 miles= 7500 miles.
7500 miles a year x 4 years of school minimum= 30,000 miles

Now at the end of a 4 years of commuting to college you've got a minimum of 30,000 just in travel to school and home again. You'd likely tag on another 20,000-25,000 miles in the rest of your driving, more if you take any trips. What's a 4 year old Silverado or Avalance worth with 50,000 miles on it? I know my father's 2000 Silverado Z71 (bought in 1999) was purchased at $32,000. Now with 46,000 miles on it the current value is high-19 thousands, maybe low-20's. That's a 1/3 depreciation in 3 years and my dad's truck is in excellent condition. So when you graduate you'll have a truck that's nearing it's term of ownership and you'll be looking at purchasing another new vehicle anyway.

I say dorm it. College is more fun than you can possibly imagine. I'm not suggesting you sacrifice principles, morals and common sense for 4 years of gluttony, alcoholism and debauchery but once you're done with college you're done, there's no going back. There's always the possiblity of buying that dream truck down the road. There's not the possibility of going back to college and reliving your youth. Maybe I'm biased but college was such a fun time for me I couldn't possibly imagine passing it up for a truck.

Guy400
12-18-2003, 07:43 PM
Oh yeah, go rent "Animal House" and make your decision then:D

remlapr
12-18-2003, 07:45 PM
I say go away. 20 years from now that truck will be rusting in a junk yard, but you will have those good memories forever. I also think you are more likely to make it through school if your on campus. I went to school about 20 minutes from home and have always regretted not going away. And as far as the greek thing - I wasn't, but I had several friends that went away and they pledged and I would go see them all the time. I always thought frat's were stupid when I was in High School - but if you're in a good frat they really support each other as far as studying and keeping their grades up and that could make the difference between you making it through and failing out.

Tommy 17
12-18-2003, 07:46 PM
guy i was hopin u'd reply!!! i knew u'd be good at this one haha... this is exactly what i was lookin to hear!!!

animal house is the bomb!!!

but back to being serious.... i won't give up my morals, etc... but i will have fun... i don't wanan miss out on it... thats what all my friends told me... come party and live ur life... whats a truck if u have no memories... u'll get it anyways after u graduate...

guy i think ur post made me decide for sure on the dorms and then what ever from there...

Narly R
12-18-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
50 miles round trip x 5 days a week= 250 miles
Typical college semester is 15 weeks. 30 weeks (one year) x 250 miles= 7500 miles.
7500 miles a year x 4 years of school minimum= 30,000 miles

Now at the end of a 4 years of commuting to college you've got a minimum of 30,000 just in travel to school and home again. You'd likely tag on another 20,000-25,000 miles in the rest of your driving, more if you take any trips. What's a 4 year old Silverado or Avalance worth with 50,000 miles on it? I know my father's 2000 Silverado Z71 (bought in 1999) was purchased at $32,000. Now with 46,000 miles on it the current value is high-19 thousands, maybe low-20's. That's a 1/3 depreciation in 3 years and my dad's truck is in excellent condition. So when you graduate you'll have a truck that's nearing it's term of ownership and you'll be looking at purchasing another new vehicle anyway.

I say dorm it. College is more fun than you can possibly imagine. I'm not suggesting you sacrifice principles, morals and common sense for 4 years of gluttony, alcoholism and debauchery but once you're done with college you're done, there's no going back. There's always the possiblity of buying that dream truck down the road. There's not the possibility of going back to college and reliving your youth. Maybe I'm biased but college was such a fun time for me I couldn't possibly imagine passing it up for a truck.

This makes sense.

Guy400
12-18-2003, 07:56 PM
Heck, my dad is just now telling me stories of when he was in college and I'm 27. I LMFAO at most of it and I know I'll have plenty of stories to tell my kids when they're old enough. Kids are very impressionable so I wouldn't dare tell my middleschool or highschool child about some of the stuff I did because it would probably influence them to behave badly. But when they're in their mid-20's they'll hopefully have their own family started and in the beginnings of a career so they're stable enough to hear about the old man's collegiate triumphs:devil:

College is about education and preparing yourself for the rest of your life. The girls, booze, bailing your buddies out of jail and loud music is just a fringe benefit. And for the record, I graduated college on the Dean's List so you can party AND still pull grades:cool:

Tommy 17
12-18-2003, 07:59 PM
the stories my dads told me of his paternitys days are what i don't wanna miss... i know its gonna be the best time of my life...

guy i bet u used this sayin alot...

" your friend comes and bails you outta jail... but ur best buddys sittin there next to u sayin that was AWESOME!!!!"

Bad Habit
12-18-2003, 08:01 PM
Here's an interprising thought. Have your parents take the money they would spend on the truck and invest it. Then buy you a used Hyundai for about $1500 that gets about 40mpg to get back and forth. At the end of the 5 years, you'll have the cash to buy a new truck plus a down payment on a house.

Just a thought.

Guy400
12-18-2003, 08:04 PM
I was never in jail, only community service and even then I was an innocent bystander caught up in someone else's hooliganism.

Guy400
12-18-2003, 08:06 PM
You've got to remember--college is ultimately about getting an education. If you can party and still pull the grades more power to you. If your grades start to fall you've got to be mature enough to scale yourself back from the parties.

chucked
12-18-2003, 08:14 PM
there isnt ANYTHING more boring in this entire universe then living on a college campus.

Soulfly
12-18-2003, 10:57 PM
My parents did the Same thing. I coulda went off to school (which i did for one semster and it aint that great) So now i go to a branch of Kent State and got a new F-250. Well worth it man.

popo
12-19-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
I was never in jail, only community service and even then I was an innocent bystander caught up in someone else's hooliganism.

You only got community service for what you did to those sheep :p :p. baaaaaa.

Motoman440
12-19-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
ignore him tommy...look at what state he lives in:devil: :blah:

LOL!!! You live here too!!!

Tommy, Penn State is a really good school. Dorm life is fun. Now the question becomes, since the school isn't the issue, of whether or not you want to give up the truck for 4 years of fun. The education will be there regardless which is what the important issue is. Good Luck!!!

Lastly, you still have to come to the exriders rides though!!!! :D

Guy400
12-19-2003, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by popo
You only got community service for what you did to those sheep :p :p. baaaaaa. That must be why my kid calls me "Daaaad":D

knighttime
12-19-2003, 09:35 AM
I'd definetly pass on the truck for now. But I would negotiate to get a cheap used one maybe.

If your goin to Penn State Main Campus, you dont need a vehicle. It's easy to get around without it. If you start out at a branch campus other than Behrend, I think you may want some type of vehicle.:bandit:

What school are you goin to?

TRX250X
12-19-2003, 09:36 AM
I live in an apartment at Purdue. I say do the same Tommy. It's a great experience, and what happens at school stays at school. I commuted to a college for one year, and it sucked. It was more like going to high school than going to college. I only had like 3 buddies there and I just went to class and then came home.

A new truck would be nice, I'll be the first to admit to that. But college is something that you'll only experience once. (Hopefully) Don't be afraid to live it up a little and have a good time. I sure opened up when I came to Purdue. I"m 10 times more happy that I am here than still commuting.

DangerousDean
12-19-2003, 11:20 AM
If you want to do better in the school department, i would suggest staying home, my brother moved and went to res. and he failed his first year. ENG. is hard as heck, and you wont have time to party barely. Could you stay at home for maybe the first two years? Then maybe go to an apart ment for the rest (3 years??)

that would be a god way to go ;)

DEAL
12-19-2003, 01:28 PM
Well... if mommy and daddy would buy me a truck , I'd take it.
I guess I'm just stuck here having to work for everything myself :(

knighttime
12-19-2003, 01:34 PM
i needed to get out by the time i was 18