PDA

View Full Version : High end stabilizers - let's talk about it

remlapr
12-18-2003, 01:30 PM
The "I hate my Denton" thread has sort of turned into this so I thought I would just start one to talk about it.

I know there is the GPR, WER, Scott's and I think there is one other manufacturer that makes one? Maybe GRB or something?? And what about the bottom mount type that I think is only made by WER?

My first question is - how do these work?? Do they all work basically the same just like the PEP and Denton basically work the same? I know they dampen the side to side movement just like the Denton style, but mechanically how do they work? In other words how do they physically attach to the steering of the quad? and again - what about the bottom mount style? Does it mechanically work different then the top mounts, or is it just flipped upside down basically?

Second question - is the Scott really superior to the GPR and WER?? It looks to me like all the GNCC Pro's run the GPR??

Third - why run both at the same time? I think Ballance runs a GPR and a Denton together??

If you have experience using any of these or good info on how they work - let's hear it!

tdsongster
12-18-2003, 03:06 PM
I have the Scott's stabilizer and really like it. In the past if I clipped a tree or something, it would really put the hurt on your wrist. That has not happened since I put on the Scott's. I can ride more aggressively now. It was a little expensive, around $450 but in my opinon worth it.

remlapr
12-18-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by tdsongster
I have the Scott's stabilizer and really like it. In the past if I clipped a tree or something, it would really put the hurt on your wrist. That has not happened since I put on the Scott's. I can ride more aggressively now. It was a little expensive, around $450 but in my opinon worth it.

Great. How does it actually mount to your quad? What kind of quad are you running it on? Have you ever used the Denton style?

redroost85
12-18-2003, 07:19 PM
I can't answer all your questions, but I can offer you this. I bought a used (practically freaking brand new) PEP rebuildable for $75 shipped. The top end mounts directly to the steering stem, where? It depends on your model. The bottom part bolts in to the big hole in the motor mount. Going off the 400, you can adjust the mounting part in that location.

All I know is running with one is night and day compared to without one. I always thought they were kinda silly, then I rode my friends....that made up my mind right there,lol!

What I like best is that is slows the side to side movement down....like driving a Cadillac baby!:devil:

12-18-2003, 07:40 PM
yah..i just put on mine that i biought & it drives sooo much better...it is like a cadillac or a lincoln now...it will be hard to not drive w/o ione of these ever again...can't wait to ride some more tomorrow after school...by the way, I got a denton non rebuildalbe 7 way adjustable barely used for $45 shipped...i think i found one hell of a deal,. :D

remlapr
12-18-2003, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys - I have a Denton now and like it. I'm talking about the high end "hockey puck" style dampners like most of the gncc pro's use. These are completely different beast...

Big - D Racing
12-18-2003, 08:43 PM
those GBR and Scotts are bically identical they replace your stock steering stem frame mount and a rod connects up to the "puck" part and down to the new steering stem mount and somehow the rod changes resistance so that basically it mounts to the stem mount lightly or strongly or anyhere in between making your steering stiffer. Get whatever model you can find the cheapest.

lil400exman
12-19-2003, 01:47 PM
what it does is in the hockey puck there is very very thick oil (thicker than 90wt) and it attaches to your stem (the bar coming out of the cylinder) and inside of thereis a "paddle" the moves in the oil and the clicker adjusts how much oil is allowed to move in there adjusting your dampening.............:devil:

cletusEX
12-19-2003, 02:05 PM
Both my brother and I run WER's on 400exs. They mount on the frame where the serial number is. I used to run a Denton but it didn't last long at all, so I spent the money and got a WER. A lot smoother than the Denton and still provides the protection, but they are expensive.

bmw500hp
12-19-2003, 07:20 PM
remlapr:

I posted this question on the ask Santo thread. Hopefully he can give us additional info...:)

batgeek
12-19-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by lil400exman
what it does is in the hockey puck there is very very thick oil (thicker than 90wt) and it attaches to your stem (the bar coming out of the cylinder) and inside of thereis a "paddle" the moves in the oil and the clicker adjusts how much oil is allowed to move in there adjusting your dampening.............:devil:

yep thats how they work :D

this is a far superior design than the regular tubular stabilizers.

the amount of oil is constant through-out the range of the paddles, thus eliminating the inconsistancy of resistance at the 2 limit stops of a tubular stabilizer.

MJNOVA
12-20-2003, 02:21 PM
The Ohlins-Scotts unit is the best in my mind. They offer more adjustment then all the others. Next would be the WER and GPR. Very similar in look with less adjustment. They work very well also but only have one adjustment not both High and low speeds like the O or S do. I have both a ohlins and a GPR on the stem models. The gpr on the stem is very nice for adjusting on the fly though.

dhines
12-22-2003, 07:56 AM
I prefer the GPR or Scotts. I have run just about everything out there and have had mixed results with the standard arm/piston type. I won't even consider buying a PEP or WER. I must have burned through 4 PEP's before finally giving up on them and the WER just didn't have enough damping for me.

Dave400ex
12-22-2003, 08:47 AM
With the GPR and Scotts, can you run a +1 or taller steering stem or do you have to use stock height?

jja125
12-22-2003, 09:40 AM
i just recently put on a gpr and it seems nice but there's too much snow here every time i have a chance to ride to really test it out. :mad: .........one thing that freaked me out was that when i was testing it out going wide open up and down my driveway it was awesome - it really smoothed out the steering at high speed from what i could tell, but then i cranked it back down to #1 setting (weakest) when i went to pull in my garage and apparently i accidentally put it on #6 (strongest) causing me to hit the pole in front of my garage which sucked, but at least i learned that lesson going slow (the little dial can spin all the way around back up to #6). i think its going to work really good though when everything thaws out. i'm just not too sure how good it will survive a roll over (i have the older style that mounts on top of the bars)