PDA

View Full Version : Cam chain removal

toby400ex
12-18-2003, 12:09 PM
Ok, im not all to confident in taking stuff apart inside my engine. Ive done the easy stuff so far. Right now i have my clutch out because im replacing it also. So i have that out, the cam chain tensioner out, the cam, the cam sprocket and the chain is being supported with a screwdriver right now. What is the next step? To me it looks like i have to remove the clutch basket to get to a gear that has to be removed to get the chain out. Im using my clymer manual as much as i can but it kinda blows(alot). Any help would be appreciated.:D

toby400ex
12-18-2003, 05:47 PM
mmm k, so does no one here do their own engine work?:huh

crashinmatt
12-18-2003, 06:38 PM
u need to take the clutch basket off and the gears on the end of the crankshaft. so basically u need to take off 2 nuts(once the clutches r removed which u say urs is), and slide the basket off and the inner hub. and thenn slide the 2 gears off the crankshft(one runs the clutch, the other runs the oil pump), and then ull have the gear the cam chain runs on the bottom. slide that around while puttin the cam chain on, which i dropped it down the cam chain journal from the top and manuevered the cha9n till it was on, and re assembled. hope that explains everything.

crashinmatt
12-18-2003, 06:40 PM
ooops i was talkin about puttin one on, but basically that covers how to get urs off. just take it off after u get the gears off the crankshaft.

toby400ex
12-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Thanks. The nut holding the clutch basket on looked strange, do i need a special tool to take that off?

toby400ex
12-18-2003, 07:30 PM
Well, i did what the manual said and wedged a rag between the primary drive gear and the thing the chain is on, i got the nut off the gear the chain is on. But how in the fack do i get the nut off the clutch hub. It says to pry back the staked part on the nut, i have nothing skinny enough to fit there, not even a knife is working. Even after that is pried back the clutch hub will still spin, so how do i take the nut off?
:mad:

crashinmatt
12-18-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Well, i did what the manual said and wedged a rag between the primary drive gear and the thing the chain is on, i got the nut off the gear the chain is on. But how in the fack do i get the nut off the clutch hub. It says to pry back the staked part on the nut, i have nothing skinny enough to fit there, not even a knife is working. Even after that is pried back the clutch hub will still spin, so how do i take the nut off?
:mad:

well for gettin that little piece of the nut pryed out, i had a ittle screw driver, but im sure u can find something. but to hold the inner hub from spinnin, it says to use a special holder, but all i did was i found a socket that fit in the grooves on the basket, and in the grooves in the inner hub tight, and that basically held it. worked good for me.

12-19-2003, 07:53 AM
An impact wrench comes in real handy on that center nut.. There are secrets out there but i'm not sure what they are..someone will chime in on what they are.

markeg192
12-19-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Rico
An impact wrench comes in real handy on that center nut.. There are secrets out there but i'm not sure what they are..someone will chime in on what they are.

That's the best way.

toby400ex
12-19-2003, 12:41 PM
What happens if I cant get the "staked" thing "unstaked". Will i still be able to turn the nut?

400exBro
12-19-2003, 03:39 PM
is that they only way you can replace the stock timing chain and replace it with an aftermarket one??
i was just wondering becuase i am getting a pro fab timing chain this winter and want to know how to put it on...

toby400ex
12-19-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by 400exBro
is that they only way you can replace the stock timing chain and replace it with an aftermarket one??
i was just wondering becuase i am getting a pro fab timing chain this winter and want to know how to put it on... Dont buy the profab, it is a crf450 timing chain that they bought for $25 like me then put it in a box that says pro fab atv, then charged $80. Same thing yet less than half the price.

400exBro
12-19-2003, 08:28 PM
but that is how i have to remove the timing chain and install it right?
are you positive that it is a crf timing chain?? i read somewhere that they don't line up that well?

BSTURDIVANT
12-19-2003, 09:34 PM
You don't have to worry about the stacked nut-when you take it off it will unstake itself-not very thick!! If you don't have a clutch
holder, use an impact. When you go back together, tighten until the slight indentation on the nut aligns with the notch in the crank.
This will put you at the same torque as before, as long as you use the same clutch parts. Re-stake nut with punch.
You can do the same on the crank if you mark the nut location, but would be better to torque to specs.

toby400ex
12-19-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by BSTURDIVANT
You don't have to worry about the stacked nut-when you take it off it will unstake itself-not very thick!! If you don't have a clutch
holder, use an impact. When you go back together, tighten until the slight indentation on the nut aligns with the notch in the crank.
This will put you at the same torque as before, as long as you use the same clutch parts. Re-stake nut with punch.
You can do the same on the crank if you mark the nut location, but would be better to torque to specs. Im putting new steel plates, friction plates and heavy duty springs back in the engine, id think the torque would stay the same as long as the nut is in the same place as before. Thanks for the info also

cals400ex
12-20-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by 400exBro
but that is how i have to remove the timing chain and install it right?
are you positive that it is a crf timing chain?? i read somewhere that they don't line up that well?

check this out:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=62637

toby400ex
12-20-2003, 12:00 PM
Ok guys i got the old chain out and the new chain in. I got the flywheel marks lined up but i cant get the marks on the cam sprocket to line up right with the top of the head. The mark on the left side is above the surface while the one on the right is below. Please help me :confused:

cals400ex
12-20-2003, 01:00 PM
you first need to put your engine on the T mark on the flywheel. after it is on the T mark, put the cam sprocket on the timing chain where the lines are even with the head and remember the 3rd line on the cam sprocket has to be pointing up. if you put the sprocket on the chain and it doesn't align up right, move the sprocket a tooth at a time until it does line up. you understand what i am trying to say??

cals400ex
12-20-2003, 01:02 PM
by the way, make sure you don't rotate the chain when the T mark is lined up on the flywheel. just take the sprocket off and move it over a tooth or however many you need to. i always put the sprocket on the chain until i get it aligned up right with the head. i then slide the cam through the sprocket.

toby400ex
12-20-2003, 03:53 PM
I got er done and she runs great. Thanks for all the help.

cals400ex
12-20-2003, 04:11 PM
how did this chain make the bike run?? is it louder or quieter?? glad you got it done.

toby400ex
12-20-2003, 04:23 PM
Its actually alot quieter, but it think any new cam chain will quiet down the mechanical noises in the engine. i think the worn chain had been retarding my timing because it runs alot snappier now.:D :D :D :D