PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Gas Gas!

oynot400
12-18-2003, 08:24 AM
I just want to warn all of you that may be considering a Gas Gas quad. Many of you know of my problems with the 450hp and 300hp. If not here is a quick update:
In March '03 I purchased a 450hp from Iowa City Motorsports. 5 days later my clutch lever was showing some problems. So I took it in for repair. This is when I learned of many updates, throttle body, piston, wiring issues, just to name a few. I was traded into a 300hp. 3 days into that the tranny went out. I waited nearly a month before getting it back. :mad: Then I had problems with the lighting, cooling fan, and the gas tank leaked. I missed countless races because of this.
I contacted both my dealer and Gas Gas directly and I could not get any satisfaction or a quick response. Either on parts or answers. Gas Gas and Iowa City Motorsports had the attitude that they got there sale and now it was my problem. Sure they acted like they would fix my problem or give me ideas to fix it, but they would not do it themselves. Or if they did it took for ever.
I recently heard from a guy in Arkansas that bought a 450hp and is having the same problems I had. Both with the quad and Gas Gas.
My advice to any of you thinking of this machine, is to think twice. Stick with a Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki. The parts turn around is 1,000 times faster and these companies have already earned there status in the atv community.

RUNMYTA
12-18-2003, 08:44 AM
The local Gas Gas Dealer here in Bristol, TN went under selling Gas Gas (a.k.a. Junk Junk). The 2 wheel bikes kept spinning rod bearings. A buddy of mine started working there toward the end right before the going under. He said that it was a machining flaw. The hole that was drilled in the crank to oil the bearing wasn't completely open causing the bearings to seize from lack of oil. Then there was the trouble with the transmissions. Overall they are junk and Gas Gas refused to warranty any of the bikes.:eek:

silver4hundee
12-18-2003, 11:04 PM
I would not buy a quad that is named after something that comes out of me ***** anyways:devil:

Guy400
12-19-2003, 05:25 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Gas Gas has tried to break into the U.S. market a couple times now and they were unsuccessful each time. I figured that these new quads would just be another chapter...

spincr4hire
12-19-2003, 06:33 AM
that sux, I was really impressed with the 300 I rode last year.

Pappy
12-19-2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Gas Gas has tried to break into the U.S. market a couple times now and they were unsuccessful each time. I figured that these new quads would just be another chapter...

i agree and i feel for ya:( i know you were excited about the gas gas and didnt expect any major issues.

oynot400
12-19-2003, 08:12 AM
They are impressive, at first. They put all high end parts on them, Ohlins shocks, dual piston calipers, steel braided break lines, just to name a few things. The chassy was not the problem, it is the power plant. They need to do more testing.
It don't matter, I will never own another one again. I am just lucky that my buddy wanted mine for his wife to ride. Other wise it was going to be sitting in the front door of Iowa City Motorsports door. :grr:
I expected some little things to be wrong with it. I also expected either the dealer or Gas Gas to stand behind it. I will not be burned like that again. I think I will send Gas Gas and Iowa City Motorsports a letter along with the web address for exriders so they can see how I am promoting their product.

AndreS
12-19-2003, 04:38 PM
i've had a pretty good experience with my 300. i even had a warranty claim, although it took some time waiting for parts, my dealer definitely took care of me.... from across the country. they're even on the lookout for new parts & mods for me, i just recieved the '04 gas cap & adapter from them.
my only real issue now is the suspension. i spent yesterday trying to dial in the stock stuff at a local indoor track, but have decided to send it to a pro & get it re-sprung & re-valved to suit my riding needs. it's nothing unexpected for any given race bike.

Dunlap
12-19-2003, 10:19 PM
Before I got involved with my GAS GAS project I talk with alot of people in the industry. Everyone said the same thing that GAS GAS is a stable company and are here to stay. I know there have been some problems and I know they are fixed on the 04's. Iam very happy with the way mine has turned out and if you need help with anything I will do my best to get you the answer you need. I believe a year from now you will see GAS GAS will make a mark in the ATV market. You can rank on any brand they all have room for improvement, just ask a Raptor owner.

AlaskaSpeed
12-20-2003, 09:39 AM
I tend to agree with Mickey on this. I was told the same bs about buying a Cannonale, yet I ran one without any issues for 2 race seasons. The issue I had with Trinity Racing can't be held against the Dale.
The Gas Gas seems to have gotten a lot of similar bad press, partly due to a few things in my view. One, uneducated owner buys a high performance race quad expecting to just ride it and not do "race quad" required maintenance. Two, uneducated owners tend to make a bigger issue out of a "problem" than it actually is. Race quads often need special attention in many areas of maintenance/fabrication. Three, uneducated owners go into ownership expecting NO problems. This causes over-recating on every little "problem".
I could have turned every "issue" I had with my Cannondales into rant sessions, but instead I chose to look at them as oppurtunities to learn more and become more self sufficient.........JIM

oynot400
12-20-2003, 11:40 AM
Andrew I am glad that you have had good luck with your 300. That and having a dealer that will work with you sure does help.
I did not go into this blind, or uneducated. I have done all my maintaince on my Honda and other bikes. I know what to look for in problems and if something is beyond my ablities. I have connections with people that do know, thanks to Scott at Recreational Motorsports. I expected some things, it is a brand new machine. I also expected some support from either the dealer or Gas Gas. I got little or none. I always said they are very close to having the best quad on the market. As far as I am concerned they dropped the ball. I waited a month for transmission parts and nearly 2 months for a new gas tank. Don't get me wrong, when it ran, it ran great! I loved the power and handling. It did take some time to get it dialed it.
Cannondale tried to the very end to help there customers. Gas Gas and Iowa City Motorsports barely lifted a finger. Mickey, I know you have been working with Gas Gas to help fix their problems. I think that is great the they got you to help them out. However, they did not help out Tony O'Hara. I do not have the pull that Mickey has. I did call Gas Gas enough the they did know who I was and what problems I had. I just not get any results because of it. Sure they sent me some free riding clothes, but that did not help out the fact that I could not run for points this year. I was use to Honda's parts turn around. I order it by 11 AM and have it the next day. Gas Gas was a month or two.
May be the ‘04’s will have the problems fixed. I paid good money to be a test rider for them. They have lost a customer, and I will not promote any of their products because of it.

AlaskaSpeed
12-20-2003, 12:55 PM
I wasn't singling you out persay, just giving my opinion on the general situation as what I as not in the know about Gas Gas perceived.......JIM

Holeshot36
12-20-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by AndreS
i've had a pretty good experience with my 300. i even had a warranty claim, although it took some time waiting for parts, my dealer definitely took care of me.... from across the country. they're even on the lookout for new parts & mods for me, i just recieved the '04 gas cap & adapter from them.
my only real issue now is the suspension. i spent yesterday trying to dial in the stock stuff at a local indoor track, but have decided to send it to a pro & get it re-sprung & re-valved to suit my riding needs. it's nothing unexpected for any given race bike.
I know someone with the 450 and had no problems either besides the suspension. He said the suspension was way to soft and got them rebuilt and worked good ever since.

440exnacsracer
12-26-2003, 10:15 PM
oynot400...ive had similar problems with my predator, broken frame, electrical problems, broken fenders (no i did not flip it)...and they refuse to fix things. my dealer told me i needed a new wiring harness, but polaris wont send the parts to fix it, so now, they put a glob of ugly black silicon on my handlebar to hold the wires in place...then i really look ghetto when it cuts out and i have to wiggle the wires to get it to crank again....ill be conversing with polaris bright and early tomorrow morning:D

chad cavagnaro
01-16-2004, 11:50 AM
Im the person in lr ar. that oynot400 spoke about in his orig thred on 450 wild. I bought a my 450 wild in late aug. ive had it in my possesion for aprox 20 days the rest of the time in the shop with major troube. it wouldnt stay idleing when riding, hard to start, specially when hot or been ridden. the main problem i have is when hot, it backfires and shears the starter clutch when trying to start it. 2 times know. last time it did this was on Oct.17th. it has been in the shop ever since and just this week been shipped back to gasgas in fla. i dont know what to do!!!!!! some things have been tried as modifications from my dealer, that did not work there appears to be no significant fix for the prob. im hoping that gasgas will refund my money. over 8000.00 out and nothing to show for it. you do the math!!! ive been 12 weeks without a quad!!!! if anyone has any answers, mickey dunlap, i would greatly appriciate a phone call at 1-501-663-8091 thanx.

OCCRA288
01-16-2004, 12:31 PM
Some states have a no-lemon policy. Meaning if you buy a motorized vehicle and it is in the shop for more than a given time period in one year the dealer you bought it at MUST get you a new one free of charge or give you a refund.

Oklahoma's is 3 months in the shop and the dealer has to replace or refund.

oynot400
01-16-2004, 12:50 PM
I looked into the lemon law for the state of Iowa. From what I found out was it did not apply to ATV's or off road stuff. I could be wrong or not have looked hard enough. :(
Gas Gas has a problem, they need to address them! :mad:

Beancounter
01-21-2004, 09:23 PM
oynot400, I am sorry to hear that you have had so much problems with your Gas GAs.

I know the guys at Iowa City Motorsports very well. They are stand-up guys and really try to help the ATV enthuisasts out.

I know for a fact that GAS GAS was stiffing them big-time when the were trying to get things warranteed. Another customer bought a 300 from them and had problems with the transmission and motor. Gas Gas finally agreed to send them a replacement motor. When they got what they were told was a new motor, they pulled the cylinder off and it had gouges up and down it and was obviously a badly used, junk motor that would not have run.

IC Motorsports got very poor factory assistance or support and had a lot of trouble getting parts.

This other customer did race his all summer in Cedar Rapids.

Don't always assume the worst of your dealer until you see what they are dealing with for factory support.

Dunlap
01-22-2004, 06:19 AM
This other customer did race his all summer in Cedar Rapids.

Don't always assume the worst of your dealer until you see what they are dealing with for factory support. [/B][/QUOTE]

There have been some problems in the past getting parts but all of that is taken care of now.

Chad C. you can call me on monday and I will give you a number of the eastcoast rep.

The biggest problem on the forums is you only hear second hand info. and only one side of a story. Every company has problems even mine,but its what is done about it in the long run that counts. Chad when you get your quad fix and Iam sure you will I will build you a 463cc kit for it to help out .

Pappy
01-22-2004, 06:40 AM
{QOUTE]

The biggest problem on the forums is you only hear second hand info. and only one side of a story. Every company has problems even mine,but its what is done about it in the long run that counts. Chad when you get your quad fix and Iam sure you will I will build you a 463cc kit for it to help out . [/QUOTE]

amen...we are trying to keep the one sided issues off the boards no matter what company it is:(

oynot400
01-22-2004, 08:21 AM
Beancounter,
I know of the other 300 that had the motor trouble. I have talked with them at the races, Blankenship I believe was the name. A nice group of guys. I really tried to look on the best side of the whole deal. When I would call Iowa City, Terry was the only one that knew anything. He claimed that he would call GG. A couple of weeks would go by and I would hear nothing. I would have to call GG myself. I just got fed up with the whole thing. How much should I put up with? :confused:
Don't get me wrong, when things where working right, it was awsome! I just had too many problems and I could not get anyone to help me out, it was like no one cared.
Now my buddy gets excellent service from Iowa City. He is also only about 20 miles from them, so it is no big deal to run in there. I would either have to take time off work or go on a Saturday to get anything down there. Once in a while is fine, but all the time is another deal.
Maybe Gas Gas got there bugs figured out for '04. If they did, good for them. They way I looked at it, I was test rider for them. I would think that would give me some pull for a different machine this year. However it is my understanding that Iowa City can't get another GG. May be it had something to do with my problems, or maybe Terry did tick someone off at GG? I don't know. Either way I sold it to my buddy so his wife could have something to ride. As often as she rides, it should last a long time.
I know on some of these formus you only hear one pi$$ed off person crying in there beer about a problem they had. I just wanted to warn anyone thinking about one of these macines to go into it with caution. Like I said before, when everything was right, it ran great. I could not have asked for anything better. But when things went wrong, they went wrong in a big way.
Gas Gas is the reason I don't have a quad anymore. That is why I am riding a KTM. However I can't wait to ride a new 450r. :devil:

Pappy
01-22-2004, 08:25 AM
you did it right oynot...

you had a major issue and service probelm and posted it in a decent manner. we arent here to take sides but im glad you understand we cant allow everyone that doesnt get thier way with any company to just spout rehtoric.

good luck to you in the future no matter what you ride:)