PDA

View Full Version : carburetor cleaning

sevens
12-17-2003, 09:55 PM
I think i may have a clog somewhere, exactly what are the places its safe to blow air through. The manual isn't very specific, just says all the open air and fuel passages. Thanks.

JOEX
12-17-2003, 11:13 PM
I haven't had to do this myself yet but I would assume once the carb is removed and dissasembled it should be kind of obvious on what should/can be cleared out..... any and every passageway.

An aerosol carb cleaner might be a better option than just compressed air.

Joe

sevens
12-17-2003, 11:17 PM
Only two i wasn't sure about was the air screw hole and the hole the float pin goes in. thanx

JOEX
12-17-2003, 11:27 PM
As long as there aren't any rubber parts, moving parts or soft metal parts in the way there I don't think there will be a problem.

I would think an aerosol carb cleaner should have enough pressure to dislodge any debris and clean at the same time with out causing other problems.

Joe

sevens
12-17-2003, 11:32 PM
good idea. i believe inside the hole for the float pin there is a rubber seal that's why i was worried, i'll use a fresh can of carb cleaner for in there tho. thanks again.

JOEX
12-17-2003, 11:48 PM
No problem:)

Compressed air is a poor cleaner. It is OK for some things but most often it just pushes the dirt deeper into whatever you're trying to clean;) :)

Joe

sevens
12-23-2003, 07:53 PM
well just got the new throttle cable on and was able to try out my bike since cleaning the carb out. Changed to a 42 pilot and spayed out all holes, hoses, the air screw seat, float pin seat with carb cleaner. WOW i must have found the clog because my low end is definatly fixed!!!! 2nd gear wheelies are no longer a problem at all. Thanks again for the help!!