PDA

View Full Version : I don't want clutch slippage but....

polabareus
12-17-2003, 07:03 PM
Ok, I have a new 250ex and its time for its first oil change. I would like to use that mobile one red cap full synthetic oil but some people claim it causes the clutch to slip. On the other hand after doing some searching on this site alot of people say they use it and its great. Well since Im not rich and can't afford to wreck my new quad I was wondering if the mobile one would be good for me. Plus walmart is much closer then the dealer and it'd be easier just to go there then going to the dealer to pay more for the four stroke oil. And the reason I put this in the powertrain forum is because Im concerned about my clutch slipping if I use this oil. So, what do you all think?

MIKE400EX
12-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Been using it for over 2 years in my wife's 250EX. Not any problems at all. Seems to help the gear selection too. Good choice!

kenny
12-17-2003, 07:13 PM
i see alot of people using synthetics and swearing by it.not my choice.i suggest a good grade oil 10-40 in the winter months.if you use a cheap brand just change it more often.i think the key is to pick an oil and stick with it.synthetic or not.dont change brands or types on every change.your bike will be ok.

stupid driver
12-17-2003, 07:18 PM
i have been running mobil 1 ever since i got my 425. When i had my old motor, i had always run conventional oils. Not only does the mobil 1 last longer, the valve clicking is not as noticable either. I have had zero probs with the clutch slipping.

polabareus
12-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Just so Im clear you guys are using the car oil right? Also what weight is best, im in northen mn so its cold half the year.

Aceman
12-17-2003, 08:33 PM
Since your quad is new, how many hours are on it. If it was me I would at least run 2-3 tanks of gas through it before I switched to full synthetic. Your piston rings might not wear in properly if you use synthetic too soon. As far as a quality oil, do a search there is tons of info. Awhile back, someone posted a review of different types of oil and which is best, Mobil 1 15w-50 red cap was by far and away the best oil out of all of the oils tested. I think Castrol Syntec was second best.

polabareus
12-17-2003, 08:58 PM
It has roughly 20hrs on it. For the first 5-6 hours I rode it nice and then the last 2 nights Ive rode it for 5 or 6 six hours each night in the snow (so there was alot of spinning and reving the engine) and also was doing some mild climbing. As far as I know it should be broken in by now. The only reason I don't just go get 4 stroke oil from the dealer is the fact that I want to go riding tonight and I don't get off work for another hour which will make it 11pm and theres no dealer open then. I have a friend who may have some extra oil but Im sure he'll call any minute and say "sorry dude Im all out" .

Aceman
12-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Your probably okay to use full synthetic. Here's the link
http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm

cals400ex
12-18-2003, 12:31 AM
i use mobil one too. i really like it. the bike also shifts smoother too with it in.