PDA

View Full Version : stage 1 or 2

mack400ex
12-17-2003, 06:28 PM
what is the difference between the hot cam stage 1 and 2 and if u run one of them on a piped 400 will you see any difference? why would u pick a stage 1?
why would u pick a stage 2?

stupid driver
12-17-2003, 07:27 PM
the stage one has more of a emphasis on bottom end to mid range power. stage two has much more top end, while sacrificing some bottom. The stage 2 would be better if you are in the dunes, or in the open alot. ( lots of WOT) stage one is the best in the woods, and in tight areas. If you only have a pipe, a stage 1 would probably suit you better. Stage 2 is mainly for more built motors.

mack400ex
12-17-2003, 07:43 PM
so i wil have preety good bottom and mid gains just by addin the cam.

cals400ex
12-18-2003, 12:37 AM
by just adding a cam, you would probally notice a loss of bottom end. however, once you get moving you will notice a gain in the mid all the way to topend. if you don't plan on putting a higher compression piston in, i would get the stage 1. if low end power is a concern, i wouldn't get the stage 2. either way, without a piston, you will lose some bottom end power. its not that noticable though and isn't noticable with a high compression piston.

JOEX
12-18-2003, 12:57 AM
First off, i'll admit i'm no expert at this nor do I have alot of 'hands on' experience on building motors. I have dabbled and messed around a bit in the past 15 years and have read and comprehended tons of info during that time.

One could add a component be it a cam, carb, hi-comp piston, exhaust system, mod the carb, mod the exhaust etc.... Each one of these may add a bit of power here and there but what is critical is how do each of these components work together to get the most out the the motor.

Quite often when you make a modification to a certain part of the motor/power range it may take something away from another part. Kind of like sprocket gearing but not neccessarly as direct.

Many people think if they replace a componet of the powertrain it will make a huge difference. Maybe it will. but it wont be as much of a difference if it doesn't work well with the rest of the motor.

Joe

yellerfour00
12-18-2003, 06:09 AM
So did i make a mistake by buying the stage2 cam for my 440ex if im going to ride in the woods and race MX????

cals400ex
12-18-2003, 11:13 AM
yellowfour, you will be fine with the stage 2. just put it in and decide if you like it. if you prefer more lowend and a cam that doesn't require to rev the bike as high for the power to be there, i am sure you would be able to trade someone on the for sale section on this site for a stage 1. i really do like my stage 2 on my 406. for mx, you might want the stage 2 anyways.