PDA

View Full Version : To clear or not to clear.

Ralph
12-16-2003, 07:17 PM
should i clear coat my polished sidcases. anyone have pics of what it would look like. How long would the cases last not cleared?

http://www.randrcoatings.com/images/project/caseleftprj.jpg

http://www.randrcoatings.com/images/project/caserightprj.jpg

Woodsrider
12-16-2003, 07:38 PM
I would. Look at it this way, if you dont you're going to be polishing all the time. If you do, you will have to take them off in the winter, strip, polish, and recoat them. If you ride wide and don't rub on them much with your boots they will last even longer.;)

300expower
12-16-2003, 09:00 PM
how do you go in the little places and polish every thing? by hand? or with the cotton thing that goes on a drill

i've done 2 rims by hand, and damn that's long, but i ended with fairly good results:devil:

please respond, i started to do mines, but i dont figure out how to go in those little places....

JOEX
12-17-2003, 01:27 AM
How would you maintain a clear powdercoat?

I would think the wear points would need to be touched up occasionally/often, how is this done with PC? If it can be done. Would a rattle can clear work for this?

With just a polished finished you can just re-polish the wear points but the normal oxidation would need attention too on the rest of the part.

I guess there is a trade off?

Joe

Nausty
12-17-2003, 01:32 AM
Dangggg, Nice polishing job, That had to take forever. Looks nice tho!

Pappy
12-17-2003, 06:07 AM
you will have to treat the aluminum with phosphates so that it wont oxidize under the clear coat.

12-17-2003, 09:18 AM
or u can not pc them and get that zoop seal stuff they sell in jegs. Its seals ur polsih and u only have to repolish once a year

K_Fulk
12-17-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by 93 300ex
or u can not pc them and get that zoop seal stuff they sell in jegs. Its seals ur polsih and u only have to repolish once a year

I thought about doing that with mine but i'm not sure how that would hold up on parts that get rubbed with your feet all the time. Works great on bike frames, wheels and other parts though.

redroost85
12-17-2003, 05:49 PM
Those pics look sweet! That must have taken you forever, lol!:D

Ralph
12-17-2003, 07:11 PM
The member Nacsracer27 Did them btw...not me,,, I think im just gonna leave em and repolish when needed..

12-17-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
Dangggg, Nice polishing job, That had to take forever. Looks nice tho! thanks hun;)

toby400ex
12-17-2003, 08:34 PM
I dunno if it would even be worth it. My clutch cover was polished this summer, it started to be a pain to keep polishing it so i got it powdercoated. That case's pc doesnt hold up at all, since it wasnt sandblasted and the other side case was the clutch cover's pc is flaking off pretty bad on the wear points. The pc just doesnt have anything to grab onto.:(

WalshKFX
12-18-2003, 11:49 AM
nice work:)

markk
12-18-2003, 12:08 PM
I was watching TRUCKS a couple of months ago, and when they had the products they advertise for, they had, this stuff to put on wheels after u polish them and they said that it was good for 2 to 3 years,
They polished the wheel
then they sprayed this stuff in it
then they took and whipped it all over the wheel
and then put what almost looked like a greenish/clear wax all over it and they said to let it sit for a little while and then that was it!
i dont know the product but mabey this info will help mabey not

12-18-2003, 01:50 PM
thats the zoop seal studd im talkin bout.

K_Fulk
12-18-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by 93 300ex
thats the zoop seal studd im talkin bout.

I think i'm going to go ahead and try that stuff on my side cases. Should work pretty good on my airbox and oil tank.