PDA

View Full Version : Types of Elka shocks

sprtrx300ex
12-16-2003, 04:37 PM
I am looking for a set of Elka front shocks for my 400. I do MX. I am kinda confused on all the different types of elka shocks( SSd, tripple rate, dual rate, etc.).

All I need is front shocks that preform well at Mx. I won't be needing ressivors untill much later.

So, can someone please explain the different types of Elka's, what they do, and what type would be good for me.

Thanks

Kilabanshee
12-16-2003, 06:07 PM
If you want your quad to have a lower center of gravity which will make it better steering in the berms really you want extended arms for this get the ssd tripple rates ide sugjest the piggey back style.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
12-16-2003, 06:18 PM
The most common shock for the 400ex is the triple rate with ssd (self sagging device) Lowers the quad so you can corner better.

12-16-2003, 06:22 PM
SSD shocks are a must for MX. I couldn't beleive the difference it made.

When it comes to shocks, it's worth the extra buck to get rezzies and a good pair. Don't settle for less then want new shocks in 3 weeks..;)

sprtrx300ex
12-17-2003, 01:21 PM
I think I might hold off on the elkas untill I get ahead on cash. How are works tripple rates w/o rezzys for MX?

wilkin250r
12-17-2003, 01:47 PM
Ask yourself this question first. "How many times do I want to upgrade my suspension?" If you want to do it several times, then Works without rezzies are perfect for you.

sprtrx300ex
12-19-2003, 02:41 PM
OK, What are the least expensive set of Elkas I can get? I don't plan on getting 0 preload untill i get my rear revlaved, which wont be any time soon. At that time I will get the rear redone so its sits lower and the fronts at the same time.

What kind of Elka front shocks are good for MX, have good heat-fading resistance, future rezzy capability, and have zero-preload capibility?

EvilJester400EX
12-19-2003, 03:57 PM
If you have the money, go ahead and order the triple rate SSD Elka. It will save you much more troubles in the long run and just be easier, instead of having 2 pairs of shocks, you just need to order a rear. You can run ZPS style fronts with a non-ZPS rear style shock. Just go ahead and order the top of the line Elka's:cool:

sprtrx300ex
12-19-2003, 04:15 PM
I was thinking about getting the Elka tripple rate fronts with the option of adding SSD later, and getting my stock rear redone eventually with elka rebuild, and at that time get the SSd all the way around.

What do you think?

Narly R
12-19-2003, 08:53 PM
Thats would work, but dont waste money on works unless thats all ya need, get Rezzies, SSD, and get wider arms. Just have your rear shock re-built.

sprtrx300ex
12-20-2003, 05:58 PM
Do the Elka replacement triple rates W/O rezzies hold up fine for MX?

zfire_28
12-20-2003, 11:43 PM
They would be better than works, and you can always add the rezzies later if you like. I know of a couple of people who race xc with the elka's w/out rezzies and claim that they don't fade much at all.

I think that I seen some in the "for sale" forum recently for like $350. I'de look em up for ya and give you a link but I am feeln kinda lazy righta bout now;)