PDA

View Full Version : Sparks 8 plate clutch

slosh13
12-15-2003, 09:03 PM
Does anybody on here have one and how do you like it? I am gettin some pretty heavy duty motor work done and im afraid my stock clutch isnt going to cut it anymore. Is it worth the money buying the Sparks complete 8 plate clutch kit? I also wanted to know instead of buying the Hinson clutch basket, if i could use my stock one and just put the 8 clutch plate kit from sparks in it?? I am undecided on what i want to do so any information that can point me in the right direction would help me out a lot. Thanks.

heres a link to the Sparks clutch page...

http://sparksracing.com/Sparks_Frame_1.htm

then click 400ex then CLUTCH

jake

Glamis400ex
12-15-2003, 09:24 PM
yes, the 8 plate set up works just fine with all the stock components of your clutch. Does it help, yes, it gets the power to the ground nicely.

Glamis

Glamis

foleyit
12-15-2003, 11:25 PM
My 2 cents.

I would really give Curtis Sparks a call, and ask for Jeff or Scott. These guys will be able to answer your questions regarding clutch kits, and what will work for you.

Make sure that when you order your clutch plates that you order the right one for your setup. They sell the 8-plate clutch kit that will work in your stock basket, and they also sell the 8-plate clutch kit for the Hinson 8-Plate basket.

RIDER11X
12-15-2003, 11:58 PM
Also, you can check out GT Thunder in the links section. He does a kit for a little over $200 I think, and I've heard it works good.:cool:

12-16-2003, 10:55 AM
I run the sparks 8 plate kit with a hinson basket and it is money well spent. Great insurance to go along with a beefy motor.

Power to the ground as Glamis stated, much better than stock.

Not sure on the 8 plate for stock or hinson basket. I have no idea which one i got. Placed the orde for one and they sent it, no questions asked on what kind of basket i was running..:confused: I don't see how it matters what kind of basket you use. A hinson is the same thing as stock just made stronger and it might add better oil flow, but the dimensions should be the same..

remlapr
12-16-2003, 01:02 PM
I thought Hinson made one basket that was stock size and would work with the thinner 8 plate setup, then one that was deeper and would work with 8 thicker plates, but you had to have the quick change side case for it to fit?

slosh13
12-16-2003, 02:50 PM
So what you guys are saying is that i can buy the sparks heavy duty clutch kit ( the one that comes with the plates and the HD springs ) and run that in my stock basket and it will still work? I was lookin and the hinson clutch basket is $250. Should i go that route?:huh thanks for the help:D

12-16-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by slosh13
So what you guys are saying is that i can buy the sparks heavy duty clutch kit ( the one that comes with the plates and the HD springs ) and run that in my stock basket and it will still work? I was lookin and the hinson clutch basket is $250. Should i go that route?:huh thanks for the help:D

I'd go with a hinson basket, i've heard of a few guys going with built motors, a 8 plate kit of no particular brand with HD springs, and stock basket and the basket exploded literally.:eek: after some use. Again, it's good insurance i think. My stock basket was in top shape when i pulled it out, but just to be safe i threw the hinson in to know my clutch is bullet proof..

I'd look a little harder for a hinson basket that price is pretty high. :huh You should be able to find one for less than $200;)

f1502nv
12-16-2003, 03:25 PM
what about the inner hub and preasure plate just run the stock ones with the hinson basket and 8 plate system?

f1502nv
12-16-2003, 03:32 PM
www.gopartsdirect.com thats parts directs link out of las vegas nv.........they have the hinson basket for $185.95

12-16-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by f1502nv
what about the inner hub and preasure plate just run the stock ones with the hinson basket and 8 plate system?

I did and it's workin just fine. Some places will mill off like .002 off the pressure plate and add a special groove to it for better oil flow. (not real sure on the process or if the .002 is correct.)

f1502nv
12-16-2003, 03:40 PM
ok good to know that was next on my to buy list