PDA

View Full Version : ? on my new hotcam

fultz416ex
12-15-2003, 07:14 PM
i just got a hotcam stage 2 for my 400ex. in their do's and don't section, it says not to use synthetic lubes and oils, only petroleum based oils. why? has anybody used synthetic oils with their hotcam? thanks
travis

BIGRED400
12-15-2003, 07:20 PM
I would break it in with at least 20 hours and then go to synthetic.........JMO

fultz416ex
12-15-2003, 07:24 PM
sounds good. thanks
travis

12-15-2003, 07:30 PM
the synthetic makes it slicker then the normal potroleum oil and it does not help break in at all...it also hurts your clutch and tranny components to run synthetic

BIGRED400
12-15-2003, 07:34 PM
I'm going with this when my 416 breaks in http://amsoil.com/products/aff.html Friction Modifier Free
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil contains no friction modifiers, making it ideal for ATV, outboard motor and motorcycle engines. The friction modifier free formulation of AMSOIL 4-Stroke ensures transmission (manual or automatic) and clutch compatibility and prevents slip...........
Compatibility
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil is compatible with other four-stroke fluids. However, a mixture of AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil and another oil may offer a shorter service life than pure AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil.

AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil is compatible with and recommended for use with clutch plates in ATV’s and motorcycle transmissions

PHIL_B54
12-15-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
...it also hurts your clutch and tranny components to run synthetic

i and many others run synthetic in our 400ex's and have no problems..just stay away from friction modifiers

Britt
12-15-2003, 09:57 PM
I believe that Hot Cams actually states to not use Synthetic oil during cam break-in. It is actually not a good idea to use Synthetic during cylinder break-in as well. You hear alot about synthetics being "more slippery". This really isn't true. A true synthetic (PAO) resists shearing far better than conventional oils and that is why they suggest not using it during break-in. You actually want some shearing during the break-in process. After your break-in I would run the synthetic if I were you. I run Mobile1 15W-50 in mine with no problem. I would say that Amsoil is also a great choice if you can afford it. They are the only one I have found that will actually state that they use ZPPD (good for pressure loads like you transmission gears) in their 4 stroke motorcycle oil.

Britt

hotex
12-17-2003, 06:57 AM
But, you could always call the people that manufacture the cam.

Tony