PDA

View Full Version : cylinder head studs.how do i

kenny
12-15-2003, 06:56 PM
i blew my head gasket.disassembled.new gasket ordered.left side head nut lost its torque.i reck'd before disass.question is how do i ck cylinder threads too see if they are ok.mickey dunlap says do not torque into jug after bore.in the service manual there is no torque spec,just a stud height measurement.how do i do this.loctite set height?or do i back studs out clean-antiseize again and torque to 30what ft pds i dont know how to ck the aluminum threads without torqueing them and seeing if they pull.if i do that than i will be concerned about what mickey said.i just paid a buck fifty for piston dont want to buy another oversize.what would you do.

Glamis400ex
12-15-2003, 09:25 PM
Call FDO Racing and get the HD studs. Worth every penny.

Glamis

kenny
12-15-2003, 10:16 PM
still how should they be set up. torque or height. do you loctite them.right now i have antiseize on them.i dont think they are pulled but not sure.i also am not sure about going with the big studs unless it is necessary.if i screwed one of them up then what.uh huh. :)

Aceman
12-15-2003, 11:02 PM
Read Mickey Dunlap's tech article in the FAQ forum. He says how to check to see if your studs are pulling out.

Glamis400ex
12-16-2003, 06:21 AM
Kenny,

This is the EXACT reason I got the HD studs. ie: how much torque, how high, how can I tell if they've pulled, do I need loctite or anti-sieze???

With the FDO studs they use open style nuts, not acorns like OEM Honda. So the height on the FDO studs doesn't really matter as long as they are in the right spot and tight....how much torque, they didn't say, because no specific torque is needed. Just bottom them out in the hole and 1/4 turn to seat. No loctite or anti-sieze or any other crap needed. Simple.

Just trying to help, this solved all sorts of probs for me.

Glamis

Doibugu2
12-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Glamis, what do you have to do to install the FDO studs? Did you have to send the head to them to rethread the holes?

Glamis400ex
12-16-2003, 06:12 PM
Yes, you really should send in the cylinder to them to hog out the larger hole. They have some sort of process that expands the diameter of the hole w/o creating shavings. In other words, their "special" bit bores the hole bigger, but pushes the filings into the surrounding wall of that particular hole. Thus creating a more dense area for the new, very coarse threads to grab to. Does that make sence?? If you are going to bore your cylinder for new piston, they will bore the holes and then send you the bolts to put in yourself, if you just want the new studs, they will put them in for you. You can't have the new studs in and then go get your jug bored, they get in the way.

I was going to bore my jug to a 416, so they bored the holes, I had the jug bored to 416, THEN I put in the studs. Very easy really. I'd be happy to explain it to ya or just call FDO Racing.

And like I said before, they use open style nuts, not acorns like OEM Honda. So the height can be off a mm or 2 and be just fine. They send you 3 different lengths the 2 sides are the same, the intake is the longest and one for the exhaust side.

$100 and worry free...

Glamis

f1502nv
12-16-2003, 07:02 PM
hey glamis how much is the kit? and who the h#$@ is fdo? youll tell me and probally go o-ya duh!!!!

Aceman
12-16-2003, 08:33 PM
fdo is fordirtonly.com, I believe is their web address.

Glamis400ex
12-16-2003, 08:52 PM
FDO/ABC Racing

740-967-1078 ask for Bill

Glamis

f1502nv
12-16-2003, 09:08 PM
thanx

kenny
12-17-2003, 07:29 PM
thanks glamis 400.i am considering this.i do not want to teardown again.it seems like every time i take it apart i have to get the time serts out.ya im beginning to feel like the timesert king.thanks

JustRace
12-19-2003, 02:26 PM
I'm trying to get a hold of FDO for just this right now.