PDA

View Full Version : wheel spacer question????

massdabate
12-15-2003, 02:59 PM
my dad owns a machine shop and i have some time off school and i was going to make some spacers up, i was wondering what type of aluminum to make them out of? and what are some common widths of spacers? nad would any body be interested in some a pair front or back?

cdalejef
12-15-2003, 03:00 PM
6065 is what all the alum. ones I've seen are made of. Most are 1" or 1.5"

EXrider03
12-15-2003, 08:51 PM
i dunno about width but how are you going too extend your studs

massdabate
12-16-2003, 06:10 AM
i found some longer press in studs

Nausty
12-16-2003, 10:44 PM
just putting in some info but you do relize your putting a lot more strain on your axle and carrier when you put wheel spacers on a stock axle? You'll be just fine if your not jumping that big though imo. Even if you do you might be fine.:confused:

massdabate
12-17-2003, 07:26 PM
yeah i know it puts alot more stress on the parts i already have the rear end widend enough with an rpm axle i just wanted to even it out like put spacers on the front but the bad thing is that it gives you mad bump steering i think thats what its called

Nausty
12-17-2003, 08:48 PM
yup, seems like you know your stuff. Also instead of getting spacers it might be easier just to flip your rims around and you'd accomplish the same thing. Whatever you do good luck.

redrunner
12-17-2003, 09:01 PM
Hey I wanted to do this just to get the feel for the stability and obviously this causes bump steer also. Where can you find shorty type valve stems to clear the caliper? I don't see any measurments on these to say whether they will work or not.

Nausty
12-17-2003, 09:03 PM
i'm pretty sure they will work when you get the shorter valve stems, my advice would be to do a search on flipping rims because i've seen lots of threads on it. Dunno where to get them.

cdalejef
12-18-2003, 07:13 AM
Drill a new hole for a stem on the other side. Install another stem backwards in the origional hole. This will clear the caliper.

BECAREFULL!!!

dirtmomma
12-18-2003, 08:27 AM
I CAN'T believe you guys are all suggesting he flip his wheels, I just say that becuz when I first got my 300 & posted pics of it w/ flipped rims on front EVERYONE on here had a FIT!!!!! Telling me how I was ruining everything up front:huh If I was you & you have the resources to make spacers for the front then I would do that & NOT flip your rims, you will be exposing your calipers ect. But you do whatever you want I just thought I would put my .02 in:D I had my A arms cuztom made wider (YES by a very very good fabricator that builds sand rails & desert racers) so I took my spacers off & gave them to our 400EX. We have a budy that is a machinist & I think he's gonna make us some sets for our blaster, my son saved his $$ & bought some front & rears online but they are the stud extender ones which we ONLY use for flattrack NO jumping, anyway have fun & whne you get some done post some pics for us too see!!

redrunner
12-18-2003, 08:43 AM
Yes, I have to think that may be this is mickey mouse stuff and just go with some 3+2's and leave well enough alone. I thought the same thing Dirtmomma, about the exposed calipers. Thought that might be risky huh?

dirtmomma
12-18-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by redrunner
Yes, I have to think that may be this is mickey mouse stuff and just go with some 3+2's and leave well enough alone. I thought the same thing Dirtmomma, about the exposed calipers. Thought that might be risky huh?

yeah pretty much huh
Hey I see you have a Kasea 250 how do ya like it?? Do ya have a pic you could send or post I'd like to see it. We looked @ the 150 a couple years ago for our son but went w/ a blaster instead for racing. I'd like to see the 250 & how it performs just for kicks.:D

redrunner
12-18-2003, 08:56 AM
Well I could tell you a long story of my trials and tribulations with this bike and maybe will on a pm with a pic anyway. The kid likes it enough and it is no powerhouse, blaster parts fit right on it if you want it is almost an excact copy. They had to rework the shocks because it was unrideable in stock set up, like a brick. Bottom line is you get what you pay for! Ronnies.com has one set up for racing and I think it is posted on the Kasea.com web site it looks pretty cool but highly modded out.

cdalejef
12-18-2003, 09:00 AM
I wasn't suggesting it, I was just letting him know how todo the stems if he chooses todo so. Thats why I said be carefull!

redrunner
12-18-2003, 09:07 AM
I didn't mean to suggest you recommend this (mikey mouse fix) I definetly know you know better than me and you told me this before on the phone, I was just looking for a quickie way to try it. ;)

airheadedduner
12-18-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
you will be exposing your calipers ect.
Offset wheels and spacers also expose the calipers.

If you can get alluminum spacers go for it. I have been running the durablue ones with good luck. They have held up great. Handling wise the bike wonders in the whoops. So far I have bent both lower a-arms though:o

dirtmomma
12-19-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
Offset wheels and spacers also expose the calipers.

If you can get alluminum spacers go for it. I have been running the durablue ones with good luck. They have held up great. Handling wise the bike wonders in the whoops. So far I have bent both lower a-arms though:o
Thats what I was saying Airhead :) How in the world did you bend your lower arms?? Is it from running the spacers??

airheadedduner
12-20-2003, 10:31 PM
Ok, I reread your post, didn't catch that the first time.

I am assuming that because of the extra leverage of the wheel spacers, it is causeing the lower a-arms to bend. I am using Ohlin's shocks too valved for 180lb rider with +2 a-arms. Mine is +1 1/2 with the wheel spacers and I am only about 145lbs with riding gear. I guess maybe I should stop caseing jumps too, coming up short on a 40someing foot step-up kinda messes stuff up:o Maybe I should give some flat track a try cause I am getting tired of breakin chit:blah:

dirtmomma
12-21-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
Ok, I reread your post, didn't catch that the first time.

I am assuming that because of the extra leverage of the wheel spacers, it is causeing the lower a-arms to bend. I am using Ohlin's shocks too valved for 180lb rider with +2 a-arms. Mine is +1 1/2 with the wheel spacers and I am only about 145lbs with riding gear. I guess maybe I should stop caseing jumps too, coming up short on a 40someing foot step-up kinda messes stuff up:o Maybe I should give some flat track a try cause I am getting tired of breakin chit:blah:

HAHA now your talkin!! Yep but flattrackin can get nasty too :devil: