PDA

View Full Version : CDI boxes

simoniz
12-15-2003, 12:58 PM
Is there a better CDI box on the market for the 400. I'm looking at a 465 Stroker that has a White bros.. It has a hard time starting with this box when it's cold. Is there a box out there that has a different power curve that deosn't effect the starting of the machine. I don't to be ****ing around with changing CDi boxes all the damn time.

brandonpeake
12-15-2003, 01:25 PM
try gt thunder

12-15-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by brandonpeake
try gt thunder

I run a GT thunder and no more hard starting...:cool: WB are junk.

12-15-2003, 01:34 PM
gt thunder or sparks

12-15-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by BBW
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Rico
WB are junk.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know people with the WB and would hardly classify this as "junk". I believe it is important to support the sponsers of this site, but referring to something as "junk", that apparently you know little about is rather irresponsible and childish.

LMAO :p :devil:

Quadzilla
12-15-2003, 02:32 PM
Now, back to the question at hand (who makes the best one). I know that most of them use an XR250 box which has a slightly different curve AND has 1000 rpm higher ceiling before hitting the rev limiter.

The problem is that these boxes typically make the quad harder to start because they don't pass current to the spark plug until the motor hits a certain RPM (higher than the stock unit).

This is a problem if you have a weak battery, or thicker oil (20w50) or a high compression motor, or if the sky is gray vs blue, etc, etc....

Honestly, I don't know any of this first hand, jsut read it here and other forums. Soooo, this is a problem!

I'm told that a few places modify stock 400EX boxes to eliminate the rev limiter all together (I think that Four Stroke Tech does this). So the quad is still easy to start, but has not ceiling. This can be bad if you over rev it.

I'd love to know of other places that do this (mod the stock one). I don't want to make my quad any harder to start....

Hope this helps!
Quadzilla

12-15-2003, 02:38 PM
yes FST does it...as does pro design im pretty sure...a few other companies also but i cant remeber their names

12-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by BBW
quote:
WB are junk.

I know people with the WB and would hardly classify this as "junk". I believe it is important to support the sponsers of this site, but referring to something as "junk", that apparently you know little about is rather irresponsible and childish.

I"ve owned one so" I DO KNOW WTF I"M TALKIN ABOUT"..:blah:

Any product that has to rely on a fully charged battery to work properly is JUNK.:macho

simoniz
12-15-2003, 03:37 PM
Rico, I agree with you on the White Bro.. Don't mean to hurt anybodies feelings but we all have opinions. And I want the truth about something not about what someone wants to sell.

So Rico, how much for a GT Thunder?

Also I've heard the TC has no rev limiter at all. Is this correct?

f1502nv
12-15-2003, 04:10 PM
anyone want to buy my brand new wb cdi box? :D .....so i can get a gt thunder?

12-15-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by simoniz
Rico, I agree with you on the White Bro.. Don't mean to hurt anybodies feelings but we all have opinions. And I want the truth about something not about what someone wants to sell.

So Rico, how much for a GT Thunder?

Also I've heard the TC has no rev limiter at all. Is this correct?

GT thunder CDI is like $125 I beleive but it has a limit to it unlike the TC racing one.

I ran the WB for 8 months and it worked just fine, then all of a sudden my quad would not start. After push starting my quad many many times and troubleshooting for about a month or 2 I finally figured out it was the WB CDI box..:mad: Now WB states that you must have a fully charged battery for the CDI to not cause problems with starting.

What it boils down to is this. For a WB CDI to work properly you need a new battery every year or a battery tender. Either way your spending an extra $60 or more a year for this box to work properly..which is a crock of chit.

simoniz
12-16-2003, 05:02 AM
Thanks for the info.. I'll prolly be trying the GT Thunder.

MarkyNark
12-16-2003, 06:50 AM
The curve on the WB is not nearly as good as the Big Gun. I run the Big Gun box and love it. The Vortex 10 Power curve box will be available in January - I have it on my DS and I think its the best CDI box out there.

cals400ex
12-16-2003, 12:44 PM
i have a sparks box and it makes my bike hard to start. it started perfectly at first. it even seemed like it started better in the warmer month, even though that was probally in my head. in the cold months, like below 40 degrees, my bike won't start. it fires right up with the stock box on. it is weird because my friend is running the same sparks box and his starts fine. whats even weirder, he battery is crap and mine has plenty of cranking power. :confused: i would look at gt thunder.

simoniz
01-09-2004, 07:20 AM
I'm ordering the GT Thunder today.

quadrider400
01-09-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by BBW
quote:
WB are junk.

I had one to and calling it junk is being kind...... irresponsible and childish is when you do not own up to your error......:grr:

If they want to impress me they would buy it back ..... or replace it with one that works....... :grr:

MarkyNark
01-09-2004, 08:07 AM
I dont think you can find a better CDI for any quad than the Vortex. 1) Its more flexible, 2) more programs, 3) more rev limits, 4) more power curves, 5) and the smoothest runnning. I've had them for several quads - hands down they are the best.

foleyit
01-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i have a sparks box and it makes my bike hard to start. it started perfectly at first. it even seemed like it started better in the warmer month, even though that was probally in my head. in the cold months, like below 40 degrees, my bike won't start. it fires right up with the stock box on. it is weird because my friend is running the same sparks box and his starts fine. whats even weirder, he battery is crap and mine has plenty of cranking power. :confused: i would look at gt thunder.

I have the WB cdi and I am experiencing the same behavior on a cold, gray and wet day. I tried swapping out the CDI to my stock like cals400ex mentioned and it fires right up in the cold morning. Not pleased about the WB cdi, I just purchased the Dyna FS ignition component it arrives Saturday. A little pricey, but it comes with 4 different power curve settings. Don't have a way to dyno down here in SoCal that is somewhat convenient to my area. But I will let you know if it resolves the cold start issue.

simoniz
01-09-2004, 08:53 AM
Is the Vortex like $300.00?

MarkyNark
01-09-2004, 08:57 AM
$399. It isnt cheap. But it is the best... period.

foleyit
01-09-2004, 09:09 AM
I never heard of the Vortex. I'm pretty sure it is similar to Dyna FS because the prices are close. The DYNA FS is $378 w/shipping. I have the DYNA FS in my Banshee and like it. I think you will be very happy with either the Vortex or the DYNA FS

Here is a website on the DYNA FS
http://www.dynaonline.com/english/index.htm

JP400ex
01-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by BBW
quote:
WB are junk.

Well, I'll be the first to say that I know little about any of the cdi boxes out there,,,, BUT.... I do have to say that I just got my 400ex and its got a WB rev box on it and that damn thing WILL NOT start when its cold. I have to point my salamander at the bike for about 15 minutes before it will fire. I just bought a stock one off ebay for $10 to replace it with and see how that works.

With that said, anything that makes the bike impossible to start when its cold in my opinion "IS JUNK". As I can't really take my salamander with me to the state forest. I suppose i could get the bike started and leave it run in my truck bed for the drive there! :rolleyes:

01-09-2004, 12:03 PM
I'd like to clarify something reguarding the WB cdi and cold weather.

It doesn't matter if it's cold out or not. Mine wouldn't start in August when it was 90 degree's out. Hot or cold the WB cdi will give starting problems.

mike426ex
01-09-2004, 12:58 PM
What about a LRD CDI box? Are they any good? Thinking of putting one on my 426.

MarkyNark
01-09-2004, 01:57 PM
I've had several different CDI boxes. The main problem with the white brothers is the fact that it starts hard, even harder when its cold. Combine that problem with a 400ex that has an aftermarket carb with no choke and you're asking for problems. When I had the WB one, I would start my quad with the stock CDI box, then switch it out to the WB.

The vortex has up to 10 power curves for every type of riding you can imagine. Nothing needs to be re-programed because you carry all the power curves with you. Trail riding, sand dunes, drag racing - and stock curves - its all there with several different rev limits for each type of curve. You can even switch between two of the curves on the fly with the handle bar switch.

Marky

JP400ex
01-09-2004, 09:41 PM
I got a hold of a stock cdi box after work today. Came home and it was like 10 degrees out.... swapped it with the WB one and it fired right up! What a piece of crap! Anybody wanna by a White Bros. cdi ???

trailburner
01-09-2004, 09:55 PM
I'd like to clarify something reguarding the WB cdi and cold weather.

It doesn't matter if it's cold out or not. Mine wouldn't start in August when it was 90 degree's out. Hot or cold the WB cdi will give starting problems.
DITO........they are f***en JUNK......had one sold it.when I push the start button on my quad I want it to start.....

Martin Blair
01-09-2004, 10:51 PM
lol look on dynas site the screwed the years up with the 250r and 400ex i wish mine was a 250r, lol

I think vortex is best but im goign with a lrd or gt thunder

twisted threads
01-10-2004, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by MarkyNark
I dont think you can find a better CDI for any quad than the Vortex. 1) Its more flexible, 2) more programs, 3) more rev limits, 4) more power curves, 5) and the smoothest runnning. I've had them for several quads - hands down they are the best.
So you do have a Vortex on your EX, if you do how easy is it to install?? Im going to get either the Vortex or the Dyna cdi box but im not sure.

MarkyNark
01-10-2004, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by twisted threads
So you do have a Vortex on your EX, if you do how easy is it to install?? Im going to get either the Vortex or the Dyna cdi box but im not sure.

The Vortex CDI has been out now for about a year, but the 400EX is supposed to be available now, this month. I have the Vortex for the DS currently and am waiting for my EX to come in. All the CDIs from Vortex share the same concepts:

1) Up to 10 power curves
2) Exactly the same size units for all quads and dirt bikes
3) The same A/B handle bar switch
4) Power curves for with power on the high RPM, Low RPM, Linear (overall) and stock curves with multple rev limits on each.

The units mouns onto a rubber sleave, much like the stock unit.

Juggalo
01-10-2004, 11:20 AM
hey marky, i saw an add for some new cdi box the other day...what was it called...uhh vortex or somethin like that. j/w if you had any info on it. is it good? :p

MarkyNark
01-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Juggalo
hey marky, i saw an add for some new cdi box the other day...what was it called...uhh vortex or somethin like that. j/w if you had any info on it. is it good? :p

Juggalo,

I have two project quads that I own, and access to 3 others. I spend at least every other weekend on the dunes testing new parts to make sure they work BEFORE those advertisers sell them. I get sent at least 10 parts a week from manufacturers that want me to test thier stuff, only about half get my approval. If you got anything better, let me know, and I'll try that too. If you want a CDI that's simple, like the White Bros, that works, then get a Big Gun. However, The 400EX Vortex CDI, available shortly, truely is the best because its the most versitle. The only drawback is the price.

PS: They don't call me MarkyNark for nothing.

Juggalo
01-10-2004, 09:33 PM
markynark i wasn't doubting your credibility one bit, i was just givin you a hard time cuz you've had like 5 replys about the vortex. just some friendly ribbing thats all;)

01-14-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by BBW
Not that I need to defend my position that calling something junk without justification is irresponsible but to compare apples to apples... I went riding in the snow this last week with four of my friends, three have the 2003 400 and one a Polaris. All of them have a pipe (slip-on) and all jetted. One has the Sparks cdi one a WB, and mine has the stock cdi. After sitting out all night in -17 temperatures I was kind of anxious to see what happened. The Polaris fired up immediately. The 400 with the Sparks cdi tried to fire up immediately but actually took 4 tries. The 400 with the WB fired up after 7 tries (and we only used one battery) and my stock cdi took 12. The next day produced nearly the same results with the Polaris firing right up, the Sparks cdi 2 tries, the WB 7, and again I was sucking. Hmmm I wonder... maybe my stock cdi is junk!

sounds like you need training on how to start a 400ex..:eek2: or a new battery...:cool: Mine has sat in 30 degree weather for 3 weeks and it only took about 4 tries to get it goin with a stock CDI box..

Taco
01-14-2004, 09:34 AM
hrmm with my stock cdi I haven't touched the choke lever in over 2yrs and it always starts 1st or 2nd time. And thats with the Stock CDI:eek2:

cals400ex
01-14-2004, 12:59 PM
maybe your jetting is wrong. yes, it could be jetted. but, being jetted is not the same as being jetted correctly. is your plug in good condition? maybe your battery is not as good as the one on the other bikes. usually you can just pump the throttle 3 or 4 times and then hit the start button and have some luck.

Pappy
01-14-2004, 01:01 PM
every 400 ive owned or ever thrown a leg over only required 2 or 3 stabs at the throttle.....no choke...and hit the go button. and they all had way different set ups.

quadrider400
01-16-2004, 01:45 PM
Sooooo who has the best price on the GT Thunder ???????

Anyone have a web site I can order from .....

Craig

01-16-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by quadrider400
Sooooo who has the best price on the GT Thunder ???????

Anyone have a web site I can order from .....

Craig

www.gtthunder.com

simoniz
01-18-2004, 06:22 AM
Well I got my quad put together this week. My only complaint is the d@mn CDI box. I've ordered the GT Thunder CDI from Jeff@TheQuadShop. It can't get here fast enough. The white brothers box is on there right now and it will NOT CRANK:mad:. I have to keep going back to the stock box and wait till the motor warms up then go back and get the WB off the d@mn heater to get it to work. So hurry up UPS...