PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shock Shim And Rebuild $40

skrib21
12-15-2003, 11:00 AM
I talked to my local dealer the other day he said he could freshen up my rear shock and revalve it (shim it) for $40 does this sound right . Im not sure if he knows what hes doing but it sounds like a good deal, he said his revalve consisted of puting a shim in the
shock somewear to make the compresion harder so I dont bottom as easy is this a good way to do it or is it going to hurt my shock.

K_Fulk
12-15-2003, 01:24 PM
I'm no expert on shocks or anything but the part that effects the valving is inside the shock. I would send it to santo he deffinatly knows what he is doing with shocks.

BigAl
12-15-2003, 01:53 PM
The procedure for revalving a shock, is to take it apart, and add(remove) shims to make it compress slower(faster).

$40 sounds reasonable enough.

whether your dealer knows what he is doing or not is the question, and I can't help you there, ask around about other people he has done this work for and see if they are happy.

Any average mechanic can rebuild a shock. I have done it several times.

The problem is knowing how many and what size shims to change, and I am no help there. I just follow the instructins on the sheet.

bmw500hp
12-16-2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by skrib21
I talked to my local dealer the other day he said he could freshen up my rear shock and revalve it (shim it) for $40 does this sound right . Im not sure if he knows what hes doing but it sounds like a good deal, he said his revalve consisted of puting a shim in the
shock somewear to make the compresion harder so I dont bottom as easy is this a good way to do it or is it going to hurt my shock.

Yes, it sounds like you will get a $40.00 rebuild and a free trip to the Rodeo!

SEE POST ABOVE by Kfulk