PDA

View Full Version : Question on chain tightening on a 300ex!!

02-17-2002, 07:13 AM
How do you tighten the chain on a 300ex? I've never done it before and don't have a manual. Please help!!! Thanx:confused:

02-17-2002, 07:29 AM
1. look in your tool box, there will be a big alen key
2. look on the swingarm, there sould be two little holes the alen key fits into, lossen them about 3-4 turns.
3. on the rear sprocket, theres little spots for the long end of the alen key to fit into.
4. pull back on the alen key to tighten the chain.
5. tighted alenkey holes.

:D

02-17-2002, 07:37 AM
I didn't quite understand all of that?

330exracer
02-17-2002, 09:32 AM
ok tightening chains for dumbies. first look at the very end of your swingarm. hopefully u know what that is. second their should be to bolts at the end of the swingarm. they have a spot to put a allen wrench in it. so then loosen those bad boys up. then when their loosened find a thing to the left of your swing arm the has gaps inbetween it. thats right attacked to your swingarm at the end. so then you find something to put in their and move in down. to you haave the proper tension. then tighten those nuts agian and woolah you are done with chain tension for dumbies.

02-17-2002, 02:10 PM
I'm not a dumbie!!! I've just never had to tighten it before and don't have a manual. I bet I know just as much as you do about fourwheelers!!!!!

"BLAHH"300!!
02-17-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by 250ex man
I bet I know just as much as you do about fourwheelers!!!!!

.......WELL WE'LL GET INTO THAT SOMEOTHER TIME......
did you understand what they were talking abut...my 300ex is a 96'...instead of allen heads it has 2 12mm or 13mm bolts to tighten it....but works in the same manner.....here's something they left out....when you sit on your 300 and compress the rear shock..the chain getts tighter....check it out.....make sure you don't have you chain too tight or else when the shock compress's chain get's tighter and..streaches or breaks....it's just not good for it...also makes a funny noise and doesn't turn very well...i usually tighten it...and pull down in the rear grab bar or have someone sit on it while i do it to make sure it's right....leave just a little play in the chain.....