PDA

View Full Version : Blackwater 100

markk
12-15-2003, 09:23 AM
Has anyone ever watched any blackwater stuff? I saw it last night for the first time, and it was awsome, i meen wrecks and just some crazy crazy fans! Anyone here ever attend the blackwater? if so do u have any pics or anything to say about it?

hondafox440
12-15-2003, 09:32 AM
I've heard about it, and I went to a riding camp and one of the instructors raced in it. We watched some Crusty Demons type MX movie (forget which one) and they showed some clips of it. Looks horrible. The instructor said it was the nastiest, toughest, and mentally challenging races he has ever been in, and he races A LOT. There were 4 foot deep mud pits littered with rocks and logs, mile long rock gardens, 3 foot diameter trees, steep hills that were all mud, and the list goes on..

markk
12-15-2003, 09:36 AM
I really recomend everyone go out and watch it its either great or horbile, depending on if u like to see ppl get hurt or not!

bradley300
12-15-2003, 09:45 AM
ya, jeff@quadshop raced in it once or twice, he has a few of the vids in the trailer. i wish they could bring that back! i wanna try it!

JTRtrx250r
12-15-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by hondafox440
There were 4 foot deep mud pits littered with rocks and logs, mile long rock gardens, 3 foot diameter trees, steep hills that were all mud, and the list goes on.. sounds like here,Im in no way shape or form doggin' any of the xc guys...but I'd sure like to see how they'd do here,That GNCC on Speed made the trails look groomed compared to here haha,I remember being pretty bummed to hear they shut the Blackwater down,Ive seen some pretty good footage of that bog-fest:D

Chino
12-15-2003, 09:56 AM
I've saw videos of it as well. It looks killer. They raced it about an hour away from my house. But now your not aloud to have any off road vehicles up there, not even a mtn bike. I Think they go to extremes when shuttin stuff down.

FourFiftyFour
12-15-2003, 09:56 AM
I saw a lot of beer cans floatin in the water holes in the one i watched :p

MooseRacing
12-15-2003, 09:57 AM
Blackwater was some of the best offroad racing ever. This was the pride and joy of Big Dave Combes.
It was a sad day in offroad history when it was canceled.
4---20 mile laps.....good luck!

GNCC today doesn't have anything that compares to Americas toughest race.

MooseRacing
12-15-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Chino
I've saw videos of it as well. It looks killer. They raced it about an hour away from my house. But now your not aloud to have any off road vehicles up there, not even a mtn bike. I Think they go to extremes when shuttin stuff down.

The area has been reopened to trail riders and you can get in there and do a little riding after submitting an application and receiving a permit from Monongahela Power.

12-15-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
ya, jeff@quadshop raced in it once or twice, he has a few of the vids in the trailer. i wish they could bring that back! i wanna try it!

It's hard to spot him though since he was sportin hair back then......:eek:

Blackwater was most definitly a challenge mentally and physically. I'm pretty sure i'd have to stop for a beer break racin in that mofo..:macho

Chino
12-15-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Rico
It's hard to spot him though since he was sportin hair back then......:eek:

Blackwater was most definitly a challenge mentally and physically. I'm pretty sure i'd have to stop for a beer break racin in that mofo..:macho

I dont figure youd have any trouble gettin a beer, on ur break. I'm sure the Duralicks would gladly throw you a few cold ones :blah:

Motoman440
12-15-2003, 11:11 AM
Been going to Canaan Valley since the 1980's to ski which is where they held the B/W 100. Story I heard was they shut it down because of all the trash and damage the people would do to the Blackwater River and surrounding areas. Raw sewage in the river was killin all the trout etc. That entire place is now a refuge for birdies or something like that. Can't even mountainbike except on designated trails etc. Still a beautiful place to go but ya can't access like you used to be able to.

wilkin250r
12-15-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I'm pretty sure i'd have to stop for a beer break racin in that mofo..:macho

You have to stop for a beer break just racing down your driveway to your mailbox...:blah:

cdalejef
12-15-2003, 11:19 AM
Ya, I went the last four years 1990-1993. It was a great race, exteremly rocky. The mud wasn't as bad as they made it out to be. I do have some pics but I'll have to get ol Rico to come out and show me how to scan them.
The tuffest race I have ever raced was the 2001 Moose run in Morrison IL. Blackwater didn't have a thing on that place. I'm gonna go back there someday and torture myself again. :eek2:

Glow Plug
12-15-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Ya, I went the last four years 1990-1993. It was a great race, exteremly rocky. The mud wasn't as bad as they made it out to be. I do have some pics but I'll have to get ol Rico to come out and show me how to scan them.
The tuffest race I have ever raced was the 2001 Moose run in Morrison IL. Blackwater didn't have a thing on that place. I'm gonna go back there someday and torture myself again. :eek2:

thats 3 year there jeff lol

but from what I have seen in pictures it looked like an awsome rrace

cdalejef
12-15-2003, 03:20 PM
Count again there Glow Worm!

1990 1991 1992 1993

Doibugu2
12-15-2003, 03:29 PM

That was the first race I ever did. That was last year. Boy was I tired. If you ever come up Jeff, I live about 1-1/2 hrs from there.

cdalejef
12-15-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
That was the first race I ever did. That was last year. Boy was I tired. If you ever come up Jeff, I live about 1-1/2 hrs from there. Can we sneak in?

Doibugu2
12-15-2003, 03:39 PM
Can we sneak in?

Sneak in to race? I don't know, only been there the one time.

12-15-2003, 03:57 PM
man i got all the videos! id buy more if i could find ones i didnt have, i love it!if they still had that id go buy me a bike and race

markk
12-15-2003, 04:12 PM

1990 1991 1992 1993

ahahah im dumb, but at least i know how to counth GLOWWORM!

hondafox440
12-15-2003, 04:29 PM

1990 1991 1992 1993

Give him a break he's Canadian :p

Teufel
12-17-2003, 02:36 PM
That was an awesome event, the track went from one extreme to the other. It was the hardest but funnest track I ever ran. The moon rocks were my favorite, I hated the bogs though.....
We would go up and ride the area weeks before the race, and hit the 93 river crossing.
It didn't help much , it was a different world once 40k mud flees arrived.
The BlackWater was actually the birth of the GNCC series, Big Dave grew to hate the event, dealing with the "derelicts" and the fact that Racer Productions didn't capture any Gate fee didn't give them alot of desire to fight for the race.

I especially liked it when we ran part of the race through town. It was a sad day when Mon. power pulled the plug :mad:

Glow Plug
12-17-2003, 03:37 PM

1990 1991 1992 1993

DOH! :grr:

cool 300ex
12-17-2003, 03:37 PM
I have watched just blackwater befor and it sucks.

cudaman
12-17-2003, 04:07 PM
does anyone know where there is some online clips of blackwater. i would like to see it.

MA-KAN-IK
12-17-2003, 05:13 PM
the biggest gncc even today is the iron man...
but it still is small in comparison to Blackwater...
Blackwater brought in a Huge crowd...the video claims 40,000
but who knows...even with my beer goggles on that seems kinda high!
check out the dvd's here:

http://www.videoxsports.com/quads.html

and here: Blackwater Forever---2 dvd set 5 hours

http://www.videoxsports.com/blacfor.html