PDA

View Full Version : Turning over engine, clockwise or counter?

pnut420
12-14-2003, 10:27 PM
My starter is just spinning and not grabbing, so I was thinking maybe a tooth on the flywheel is broke and want to turn it over, I know if you go the wrong way it will losten the bolt, so do I go clockwise or counterclockwise?

2004TRX450R
12-15-2003, 12:16 AM
From the left side of the bike turn it counter clockwise. you don't want to turn it the other way because the cam chain will pull tight against the tensioner and it is possible to dammge something. The likely hood of actually damageing anything is pretty low but that is what all the manuals say.

BSTURDIVANT
12-15-2003, 10:10 AM
The flywheel bolt should not come loose by turning engine. The starter clutch rollers are not engaging. Try turning both directions
to engage rollers. If cold out will do this if oil is gummy! Try warming in garage also.

BIGRED400
12-28-2003, 05:41 AM
If it has the factory cam go CounterClock wise using the crank bolt ,17MM........the factory cam has a de-compressor on it and turning it clockwise will engage this possibly causing you problems....I put in a stage 2 cam and removed the plunger and spring the rest was on the old cam, but I still move mine as a habit CCW ......good habit that way when you work on someone elses quad it comes natural:D

Guy400
12-28-2003, 06:00 AM
Sounds like the starter bendix isn't engaging. It could be some missing teeth but you would've definitely heard teeth strip off at one point or another. I'm betting on the starter bendix.

2004TRX450R
12-28-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by BIGRED400
If it has the factory cam go CounterClock wise using the crank bolt ,17MM........the factory cam has a de-compressor on it and turning it clockwise will engage this possibly causing you problems....I put in a stage 2 cam and removed the plunger and spring the rest was on the old cam, but I still move mine as a habit CCW ......good habit that way when you work on someone elses quad it comes natural:D

you want to turn it CLOCKWISE if you are standing on the rotor side of the quad especially if you are working on someone elses quad. That is the direction the starter turns it and the direction the engine runs. You can cause dammage to the cam chain tensioner if you turn it counterclockwise. The tensioner is made to take up the slack on the slack side of the chain. Not try to hold the chain tight when you are pulling against the side that the tensioner is on. Also you will be fighting against the starter if you turn it the wrong way. If you have any doubts then get a manual and read it. It will give you the same caution that I just did.

simoniz
02-04-2004, 10:01 AM
What is the starter bendix?

simoniz
02-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Does the starter clutch rollers rest in a cage behind the flywheel??

simoniz
02-04-2004, 10:27 AM
bump

BSTURDIVANT
02-04-2004, 12:47 PM
The starter 1 -way rollers are in the backside of the flywheel and must be pulled to get to.

simoniz
02-04-2004, 01:52 PM
If that breaks will the magnet on the flywheel catch everything. And the little conductor or whatever you call. If metal it's will you loose spark??

BSTURDIVANT
02-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Anything the flywheel pics up of any size will usually tear up the stator assy. resulting in no spark.

simoniz
02-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Where is the stator assem.??

mustang93
02-04-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Sounds like the starter bendix isn't engaging. It could be some missing teeth but you would've definitely heard teeth strip off at one point or another. I'm betting on the starter bendix. I agree

BIGRED400
02-04-2004, 05:00 PM
The reason HotCams tell 's you this is the same thing I explained earlier from the Crank -bolt side , go to http://hotcamsinc.com/ then go to instructions or check your CLYMER's manual in Chapter 4 or page 74 top paragraph rotate crankshaft counterclockwise :o note: this is from CRANKSIDE-bolt

BSTURDIVANT
02-04-2004, 09:02 PM
The stator mounts in the cover and fits inside the flywheel when you install the cover.

dork
02-05-2004, 08:31 PM
you want to turn it CLOCKWISE if you are standing on the rotor side of the quad especially if you are working on someone elses quad. That is the direction the starter turns it and the direction the engine runs. You can cause dammage to the cam chain tensioner if you turn it counterclockwise. The tensioner is made to take up the slack on the slack side of the chain. Not try to hold the chain tight when you are pulling against the side that the tensioner is on. Also you will be fighting against the starter if you turn it the wrong way. If you have any doubts then get a manual and read it. It will give you the same caution that I just did.

the motor should be turned COUNTER CLOCKWISE if you're looking at the left side(countershaft) side of the motor. i have a manual, and thats whats printed. besides, for the countershaft sprocket to rotate the correct way to move the quad forward, the engine has to run counterclockwise. its like that on all jap singles