PDA

View Full Version : Deposit remover OK for quads?

sprtrx300ex
12-13-2003, 06:30 PM
I have been messing around with my jetting on my 400 for about a month or two trying to get it dialed in right. I've have every thing from a 170MJ - 146 MJ in it. Im sure there is alot of carbon that has been built up.

I was at an auto store the other day I saw a bottle of this stuff called " depsit remover". Its supposd to clean off carbon and other build up from the engine. Anyone ever use this? Is it ok to use?

Poston5
12-13-2003, 09:18 PM
It should be alright to use, i bought a used 300ex and the guy i bought it off had not ran it in like 3 months or someting stupid like that and the carb just needed a good cleaning and he took it to a authorized honda dealer and they gave me this stuff that was just fuel componet cleaner. And it is for small engines you just add it to your gas but i dont remeber what it is called i will check it out and then tell you later.

pnut420
12-13-2003, 09:24 PM
In a car or quad, the deposit remover will work, but after the deposits break loose, where do they go? Into your bottom end which I think is the worst thing to do.

When it gets to that point, you will need new rings and a top end anyway, might as well pick up a high comp piston and bore the cylinder, and get new valves, or have yours checked, that would be your best bet. And remember when jetting, the pilot jet does down low, the needle does mid, and the main does top, so if it is cutting out on the bottom end, changing the main will do nothing really.

sprtrx300ex
12-14-2003, 06:47 AM
HOw does the carbon from the piston etc. get to the bottom end? I thought it would just disslove and blow out the exhaust.

cals400ex
12-14-2003, 12:36 PM
with jetting remember you might not be getting the carbon buildup from your mainjet. you could very possibly be getting that build up with your 42 pilot in. i assume you would need that fuel skrew only out 2 turns or so with that pilot. also, you could be rich on your needle, thus giving carbon build up.

sprtrx300ex
12-14-2003, 12:51 PM
I know that my needle is in the correct position. I tried 4th notch and it studdered, so I went to 3rd and it ran great, so I left it there.

The pilot may be a little rich, but its winter and it'll probably be getting colder. Its at 2 1/4 turns.

The reason why i think there is carbon build up is because I ran 165 main jet for 1 days, 170 for about a day, and 155 for a week (all rich).

Anyone else know if its ok to use this stuff?

ReconRider25
12-14-2003, 02:54 PM
i got this stuff called k-100 works great, the have formulas for deisel, cars/trucks, marine, etc. works great gets better gas milage too. runs better

sprtrx300ex
12-14-2003, 02:56 PM
Is it for cars/trucks? How do you use it? What do you mean it runs better?

Thanks man

redroost85
12-14-2003, 04:40 PM
I use Honda Fuel Stabilizer. Mainly in the winter season I guess. I am riding less and more infrequent. It helps prevent carb gumup and disperses any water in the fuel. It is like add 1 ounce to every 5 gallons of fuel. It worked ok last winter and I am sticking with it.

It also gives off a sweet smell to the exhaust, lol!:D

sprtrx300ex
12-14-2003, 06:12 PM
Alright cool. Anyone else use deposit remover?

2004TRX450R
12-14-2003, 06:44 PM
fuel stabilizer just keeps the fuel from going bad. It isn't for cleaning anything. This keeps the fuel from plugging the jets as it goes bad and keeps it from guming up. A detergent in the engine oil to clean stuff can brake stuff loose and it will go in the bottom end but not a fuel ceaner. If it so bad that you need to run some sort of cleaner through it then you should just tear it down and clean it properly. If you have been running rich for 2 or 3 weeks it isn't enough to really have much of anything built up anyway so I would not mess with it. Just ride the piss out of it and have fun and quit worrying about the deposits that aren't there!:D