PDA

View Full Version : speed!!!????

r450rr
12-13-2003, 01:47 PM
honestly how fast does everyone think the 450R will go?? i know its for mxing but.,... i am asking because i ride my on the highway alot to get to places.. i just want an estimate....how fast does the yfz go..?/?

is it and the yfz going to have the most top end of any bike..(compared to the raptor, and the predator,, and ds 650???)

just wanting some estimates preferably from people that own the yfz... like how does it stack up to the raptor and ds and predator... as far as top end?

appreciate it:cool:

Sick0
12-14-2003, 10:17 AM
I don't know the gearing for the 450f but I know the gearing for the yfz is gear low. it tops out pretty fast compared to or quads. I know my yfz kills my friends raptor but I will top and he will catch up to me and start to pass me. I'm sure i could just regear it and beat him. Theres is plenty of power but the not enough gearing.

I personly think the yfz should be a 6 speed.

matt400ex
12-14-2003, 11:56 AM
The YFZ is geared low? My buddies' sucks on the trails because its geared to high. Maybe it just feels that way because you have to rev the crap out of it to make power; but compared to any other bikes I've ridden the YFZ has had too much gear. Guess I need to borrow it again and wind it out in 5th :). How many miles does it take for the raptor to catch back up to you? lol

lukester720
12-14-2003, 04:24 PM
Hey matt I live in lawrenceburg when you get your 450r email me I will come up to haspin and ride with you. My buddy has a yfz also so we can do our own tests. Where are you ordering you R mines coming to honda of florence? My email is lukester720@tmail.com

Sick0
12-14-2003, 07:28 PM
I know what you mean about geared to high for real tight woods. I think the first gear ain't that low, but the gear box is like a close ratio . but it seams like I'm always in a higher gear than my friends. Plus you have to remember this motor likes to be rev and bogged down on bottom.

The last time I was riding tight I had to use the clutch alot to prevent it from stalling. But the gearing is perfect for MX racing

r450rr
12-14-2003, 11:29 PM
ok back on the subject of top end .... so will it outrun a raptor or a predator.. in say a mile stretch... (enough space to wind them both out for a while./??) right now i am basically talking about the yfz cause the r isnt out..lol

but seriously is it going to have a lot of top end to work with...??

and also.. right now does the yfz get beat by any other quad in a drag race...not talking about who is riding it just machine wise//...

so a raptor has more top end than the yfz???:confused:

lukester720
12-14-2003, 11:38 PM
My friend has beat every raptor he has raced on the 300ft drag strip as far as the top end goes the raptor is 1 mph faster than the yfz I believe mid to high 70's.

r450rr
12-14-2003, 11:42 PM
ok any info about the predator,, cause there real fast to or the ds 650...or is it about the same..

lukester720
12-14-2003, 11:52 PM
Top speed on those I'm not sure but he also beat a couple of predators by about the same distance 2 to 2 1/2 quad leanths. His yfz has a pipe and jetted with the lid off and so did the raptors. The predator may have been stock I'm not sure its been awhile.

Sick0
12-15-2003, 07:44 AM
I know I'm geussing here but I think you are going to run into the same problem with yfz as with 450r. these quas are built to accarate fast. Fast from one corner to the next . and thats what these motors do. Theres way more topend on the yfz than a raptor. but the raptor is just gear higher. When the yzf power starts to come on the raptor is making its peak hp. These two motor complete diffrent motor. The raptor more is a torque monster make tons of power down on the bottom and the yfz High rev motor. Its like comparing a Chevelle 454 to a tuned up honda. If you want a drag quad get a banshee or a raptor. you can make more power with these two.

lukester720
12-15-2003, 10:01 AM
if you really need more top end speed change your sprocket and or tire size.

Out_Sider
12-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by lukester720
if you really need more top end speed change your sprocket and or tire size.

true....but if he does those changes...he wont have shizzle for bottom end at all....they already have a "weak" bottom end..that would just make the low end suck more. But maybe im just confused :p

Sick0
12-15-2003, 02:27 PM
Well if you want to drag race with say a yfz, theres is planty of low to Gear it higher. The only time time you notice it have a weak lowend is when you riding in tight trails. Plus i have done the cam mod which moves the power band higher. If I had let the cam alone it would be better the woods. Plus the yfz has a very light flywheel to let rev quicker but this also lets it stall easyer. If you get heavyer frywheel weights and left the cam alone this probly be a decent woods quad. Plus you could drop down a thooth on the front sproket. But I have mine set up for MX racing which is set up perfectly. If you want a trail quad buy a quad with a trail motor in it. Like 400ex,z-400, which came from dirt bike set up for the woods.

lukester720
12-15-2003, 05:25 PM
The yfz is set up for racing there not made to take off slow or to trail ride. Also most of the people I've seen on the yfz don't ride them right anyway you have to rev them like a 2 stroke. Wind it up real good before you let out on the clutch and its a rocket. I watched my buddy take the holeshot on his and he started on the outside. It was matched against cannondales, 400ex's, z400's, kfx400's, about 23 all together. Also they geared the 450r up for the baja and it was running in the 90's from the articles I read.

Sick0
12-15-2003, 05:34 PM
The yfz is set up for racing there not made to take off slow or to trail ride. Also most of the people I've seen on the yfz don't ride them right anyway you have to rev them like a 2 stroke. Wind it up real good before you let out on the clutch and its a rocket. I watched my buddy take the holeshot on his and he started on the outside. It was matched against cannondales, 400ex's, z400's, kfx400's, about 23 all together. Also they geared the 450r up for the baja and it was running in the 90's from the articles I read.
Kinda whats I was getting at. I pulled my first hole on the yfz. At nat. I started on the out side and was the first to the inside corner by 4 quad lenghts.

matt400ex
12-15-2003, 07:57 PM
lukester720,
I haven't ordered a 450 yet. I know I should, but I'm still shopping. I have a dealer thats 10 minutes from the house (Gene's in Harrison, OH), but they're normally higher on their bikes. I bought the EX in Greensburg, so I might end up going with them again. Did you get a good deal on your's through them? I'm about 30 minutes from Haspin, so as soon as the the R is here we'll have to meet up. My email address is matt400ex@hotmail.com or
matt450r@hotmail.com :devil:

I don't use the R address to much yet, but I had to go ahead and get it. lol

lukester720
12-15-2003, 08:24 PM
You might check with thortons in versaillies. I'm getting mine from florence for 6500 I'm going to try to get a discount on the hrc kit though. My friend bought his 400ex from there for 4600 dollars brand new he just talked to them about it and they hooked him up good.

r450rr
12-15-2003, 08:47 PM
i am just wanting my 450R to be a bad quad i mean in a drag... top end u know whatever basically... the only competition i want is the yfz's (also i am talking about mostly stock quads)

shew i am sick of waitin for the r... its gettin close though

MX#9
12-16-2003, 12:12 PM
Hate to be a spoiler, but you do not belong on highways with a performance quad, not designed for that. Sound like a recipe for disaster.

biohazard1.2
12-16-2003, 01:20 PM
Could have fooled me. I run mine on tight, twisty trails and never, I repeat never, have to ride it much differently than the piped and jetted z400 I had.

If anything, the lightness of the quad plus the rev-happy powerplant make it GREAT IN TRAILS. I added Great jetting, a full GYT-R pipe...

I trail ride primarily with some sand bowl riding...I could not be happier with this quad.

But, please, everyone, get a different quad for trail riding. :devil:

lukester720
12-16-2003, 01:39 PM
Biohazard I'm not saying that the yfz is a bad quad for you but what you consider hills in florida and what we consider hills in indiana are 2 different things. I have family in clearwater so I am familar with the layout. I'm sure a lot of the trails you ride offer a lot of sand which is also a lot different to ride on. What I'm saying is you can't "slow ride" up muddy hills and give it much gas or you start spinning. You also can't be sitting on a steep hill and take off or you'll flip or spin and slide backwards. I'm not bashing the yfz its just we have different trail conditions that's all some of the hills around here are nearly straight up and you can't hit them with much speed because your usually coming out of a creek. Mabey if I visit my grandma this spring we can meet up and ride some?

Sick0
12-16-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Sick0
To be honest I'm not sure which one would be the best drag.

The two engines are built for the same style of racing and are pretty close to each other. I think with the faster revving shorter stroke and and more topend the yzf would win. If gear was same. The 450r might jump the yfz off the line though because it has a better bottomend. Its a tough call and we will just have to wait to find out.

r450rr
12-17-2003, 10:31 PM
i am not saying,, i ride on the road all the time... i just have to sometimes to get to the places i ride..an why does that sound like a recipe for disaster.. i am not talking like a fourlane or anything just a two lane highway next to my house...and i just need some top end top stay in front of the traffic... and cops...:devil:

jbs450r
12-18-2003, 12:37 AM
ill tell yall what im waitin for mines to get here, ill be sure to ride it wide open till it tops out, yall can say what you want, i dont ride 4 lanes or anything i will get on a 2 lane and lett'er eat, i aint skeered. im the first one on the list, and the day i get it i will top it out

lukester720
12-18-2003, 07:30 AM
Atv rider mag says "We understand the need for a close-ratio box, but it seemd a little out of whack, with top speeds in the 70-mph range".

But I think that they did something right or it would have been really tough for some one to pilot it to a win at glenn helen like they did.

biohazard1.2
12-18-2003, 10:25 AM
Biohazard I'm not saying that the yfz is a bad quad for you but what you consider hills in florida and what we consider hills in indiana are 2 different things. I have family in clearwater so I am familar with the layout. I'm sure a lot of the trails you ride offer a lot of sand which is also a lot different to ride on. What I'm saying is you can't "slow ride" up muddy hills and give it much gas or you start spinning. You also can't be sitting on a steep hill and take off or you'll flip or spin and slide backwards. I'm not bashing the yfz its just we have different trail conditions that's all some of the hills around here are nearly straight up and you can't hit them with much speed because your usually coming out of a creek. Mabey if I visit my grandma this spring we can meet up and ride some?

Shoot me a pm when you get down this way...!

...the YFZ generates some real impressive wheel speed, which is what you need in a hill climb. I am from OHIO originally (Logan County...Indian lake area) and am REAL familiar with hill climbs. I used to compete with my ol atc90...I would put a 25# plate on each side of the front forks to keep the front down! anyway...the YFZ is the best all around quad I have ever owned for aggressive "play".

I would like to get back to OHIO sometime to do the trails up there!

Take care!

lukester720
12-18-2003, 10:32 AM
I live about 20 minutes from cincinnati so if your ever around here you can also pm me. Later biohazzard

r450rr
12-18-2003, 05:58 PM
i prolly live in one of the hilliest places in the us besides the rocky mountains... i live in kentucky the far eastern part... and thats is about all they are to ride is trail ride because u are surrounded by mountains..and i am still getting the 450R because i like speed...and there is also stripe jobs for me to top it out on.. so no matter what always get the quad that you want the most dont settle for less because somone says it might not be a good choice for your type of riding...just get what you want..

(Family guy rulzs!!!!:cool: )

300XFST4602
12-18-2003, 08:26 PM
450R tops out at 82 MPH........

lukester720
12-18-2003, 08:44 PM
300xfst where did you get this number from? I've never heard of a stock quad that fast from the factory not the quadzilla or the ds650. Is that the stock sprockets and tires? Or are you just making stuff up like some of the others do?

300XFST4602
12-18-2003, 08:46 PM
300xfst where did you get this number from? I've never heard of a stock quad that fast from the factory not the quadzilla or the ds650. Is that the stock sprockets and tires? Or are you just making stuff up like some of the others do?

Lets just say that i know stuff.........

lukester720
12-18-2003, 08:55 PM
I see you live in ohio are you tim farrs neighbor or something?...... Or are you just making stuff up? Just harrassing you some usually when people put a number on something the list where they got there info....... It makes it easier to believe

shee dawg
12-29-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by 300XFST4602
Lets just say that i know stuff.........

http://www.teamkaos.net/emoticons/jerkit.gif

r450rr
12-30-2003, 02:16 AM
82 mph isnt logical for a stock quad....

id say more like 72.....

but thats just me ... i hope its alteast in the 70's.... mid to upper to be exact... anyone else taking any guesses... open for opinions...:confused: