PDA

View Full Version : popping on deceleration solved (for me anyway)

polabareus
12-13-2003, 05:34 AM
I bought a new 250ex a month or so ago. The problem I was having was that I would hear little pops coming from the exhaust during deceleration (mainly downshifting from 4th or 5th gear). Im fairly good with carbs but after extensive adjusting the popping was still there. I thought maybe there was a leak in the exhaust somewhere but since it was a brand new bike I decided to bring it back to the dealer and let them solve the problem. And they did by adjusting the valves. I never thought about the valves as the source of the problem but they were. Ive seen several posts about popping during deceleration and Ive never heard anyone mention the valves. So I thought I'd just give a heads up to anyone out there with that problem. One thing I did notice was that before they adjusted the valves the bike was real easy to start even though its freezing up here in minnesota. Now it doesn't want to start quite as easy but as far as I know thats kind of normal for a honda in the cold. Also, when I say the bike was popping I mean little pops not all out backfiring. If your bike is backfiring your probally running lean and that you need to solve by adjusting the carb. I am right about hondas not starting the greatest in the cold right?

trailburner
12-13-2003, 06:43 AM
Yes......Honda's [aleast mine] don't want to start in the cold.....If It's below 20 mine just sits there & laugh's at me....... :mad:

ReconRider25
12-13-2003, 07:36 AM
yea and then after the warm up it still dosent want to run good for the first 10 minutes in cold weather.....after that its great.:D