PDA

View Full Version : Gecko paddles

2004TRX450R
12-13-2003, 12:58 AM
How many of you have run Geckos that have also ran either haulers or Sake IIs and how did you like them in comparisin and why?

foleyit
12-13-2003, 01:06 AM
I have both Sand Skate IIs (v-pattern) and the Geckos. The Geckos are supposed to be better for turning than that of the Sand Skate IIs. Because they have that blade on the edge of the tire. I have been carving dunes with the Sand Skates in 3rd gear and have had the rear wash out when turning too sharp. Not a good feeling. I've never had that problem when running the Geckos.

2004TRX450R
12-13-2003, 01:13 AM
I have skate II's for my ATC and a set of haulers for my 400EX and I like the skates better on my ATC than the haulers but havne't ridden with the scates on my 400 yet. I am getting a new 450R and was thinking about trying the geckos. Just wondering how they work in comparisin. I don't ever recall really haveing to much problems with the Skates slideing out on me though. Thanks for the input.

foleyit
12-13-2003, 01:20 AM
I've never had that problem while at Dumont Dunes, but each time it has happened it was at Pismo Beach. I've heard that Pismo has a lot of soft spots in the sand. Maybe I just hit a soft spot?

PHIL_B54
12-13-2003, 11:45 AM
i know ive seen a real compairison somewhere, they timed a run on some hill, not like the dirtwheels sand tire guide..what a joke

i have gecko's but i have nothing to compair them too, they were cheap, and i saw them in dirtwheels and thought they looked pretty cool, and they said that they like them(since i have come to doubt many things dirtwheels says) i have heard from many that they think they're junk, i have never seen info backing either good or bad

duneittilludie
12-13-2003, 08:03 PM
If you want to know how they do in a sand drag racing situation i can tell you that from what i have seen they seem to be one of the worst performers out there.I hope you dont think i am knocking your tires but from what i have seen the sand skates or edges do much better.I personally have not used geckos but i have ran sand skates and edges and they are both a very good all around tire for the sand.If you want a very good tire for drag racing up hills that also slides well as long as you dont run too many paddles then the haulers are a good way to go.

MITrail400EX
12-14-2003, 05:42 PM
I've got the geckos on my quad for when I go up to silver lake. They are ok as far as rec riding goes. You can turn easier with them. When it comes to launching though, they are unpredictable. Depending on the sand you are in, they'll either grab right away and take you skyward, or spin like mad and leave you in the dust. They seem to work well on rougher sand, like wet sand. However when you get into the dry, soft sand, they just spin forever. Not very good for dragging or hill climbing. I'd seriously recommend the haulers or gliders. They seemed to work alot better on my buddies 400ex. Good luck with your decision. BTW, at all costs, stay away from Realtor tires.

2004TRX450R
12-14-2003, 06:37 PM
I'll probably just stick with my haulers and skate IIs. I seem to like the skate IIs on my ATC250R better than the haulers. The Haulers I have are for my 400EX wich was my fianse's bike but she decided to screw around on me so she is down the road and I have the bike. So anyway I never really rode it very much and haven't ever put the skates in it before so I don't know what they would be like for sure on it. I'll try them both on my 450R and see how they work I guess. Now that I am getting a 450R I think I am going to make my ATC my sand drag bike and have my 450R for my dune/trail bike.

carlj75
12-14-2003, 07:42 PM
I have run three different sets of paddles on my quad, Sand Sharks, Gecko's, and 8 paddle extreme grip Haulers. My ranking is: #1:Haulers, #2:Sand Sharks, and #3:Geckos. The Sand Sharks were a fun tire to screw around with at the dunes, but did not give me the hill climbing and drag racing performance that I was looking for. The Geckos, that I only used for one day, SUCKED! They didn't slide laterally as well as the Sharks. They also did not do very well at any hill climbs. They are very prone to digging holes and leaving you stuck at the base of a hill climb. They are also pretty heavy compared to the Haulers. I would stay away from the Geckos! I love my Haulers, although they were a litle tricky to get used to after riding with the sand sharks, as far as turning gos.

2004TRX450R
12-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Hey carl I see you are from Gig Harbor. I'm from Bellevue. Where do you usually ride in the sand? We usually go down to Florence, OR. I'm going to try to make a trip down there sometime in Jan. after I get my new 450R. We might just go to Moses Lake for a day trip but I'm not sure yet. let me know some time if you want someone to ride with! Thanks for the input on the Geckos. I think I will stay away from them.

Crayfish
12-15-2003, 10:33 AM
I have to agree with carl on this one. I have run SS II's on my Banshee, worked great. 8 blade edge haulers on my 400ex, also works really well. As far as the Gecko's I would stay away, I personally saw a friend get stuck so often the first time out with his Banshee/gecko combo that he nearly siezed the thing. Towed him back to camp and he ran with the stock tires the rest of the trip.

carlj75
12-16-2003, 03:07 PM
450R: We try to make a trip down to Florence at least once a month (if it's not raining) We might make a day trip in January to Sand Lake.

2004TRX450R
12-16-2003, 08:06 PM
Let me know when you are going in Jan. I might be interested in heading down there too. I have sundays and Mondays off so I don't know when you plan on going but I might take a fri. and sat off to go if I need to. I'll be dieing to get my new 450R out in the sand. I need to get it broke in and see what kind of power it has stock so I can tear it down and have the head ported and install my power up kit and maybe go with a higher comp. piston!:D

JOEX
12-17-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
Let me know when you are going in Jan. I might be interested in heading down there too. I have sundays and Mondays off so I don't know when you plan on going but I might take a fri. and sat off to go if I need to. I'll be dieing to get my new 450R out in the sand. I need to get it broke in and see what kind of power it has stock so I can tear it down and have the head ported and install my power up kit and maybe go with a higher comp. piston!:D
Let me know if you guys make a trip to Florence, I might meet up with you if thats not a problem. I'm off Monday and Tuesday but after the first of the year I might be able to get a Sunday off.

Joe