PDA

View Full Version : which is the deal?

slosh13
12-12-2003, 05:32 PM
what is the difference between a straight 440 or a 416 stroked to a 440? What is the power difference between the two and which do most people prefer?

remlapr
12-12-2003, 05:52 PM
I'm pretty sure the straight bored 440 will have more torque, while the stroker will have more top end HP and be a quicker reving motor. The stroker should also be more reliable because the bore is closer to stock. The cost of the stroker is going to be higher of course...

crashinmatt
12-12-2003, 08:12 PM
i always thought 440 strokers were the ones with the torque and the 440 bores were the ones with the higher end power. well basically i was always told the more compression or longer stroke the more torque. and for racin a lot of people i know perfer the strokers, but the bores can still hold there own. thats my .02

12-12-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
I'm pretty sure the straight bored 440 will have more torque, while the stroker will have more top end HP and be a quicker reving motor. The stroker should also be more reliable because the bore is closer to stock. The cost of the stroker is going to be higher of course...

that is incorrect...a straight bored 440 will have more topend speed while the stroker kitted 416 will have more torque...and will also be the quicker reving motor...and yes the stroker is more reliable because it does not create the extra heat like boring would...and yes the stroker is gonna cost a lot more then just boring

remlapr
12-12-2003, 09:03 PM
yep you guys are right - I had it backwards on which will have more torque...