PDA

View Full Version : 250r and 400ex matinence wise

montyjcm
12-12-2003, 04:53 PM
Hey,
My brother just got a lt250r and I am looking for a quad. I am thinking about either a 250r or a 400ex. A 250r would have around the same power as my brother's, while the 400ex would have less (correct?) What is the difference maitenence wise that I would have to do to these two quads? Are twostrokes that much more of a hassle? Thanks for the help.

Oh, I posted this in the matinence section, but that forum seems pretty dead.

250rtone
12-12-2003, 08:54 PM
What type of riding do you do?

tants
12-13-2003, 08:21 AM
it depends. if your a hardcore racer its suggested tp replace the top end every 25-30 hours. i know racers who have gotten 2 full seasons on one top end alone. but they also took great care of the motors...

if your a trail rider, or mess around a little on the track, the top end can last much longer. if you clean the air filter and change the oil every 2-3 rides, the motor will stay in tiptop shape for a very long time. of coarse a 4stroke will be more reliable, but you will never have the hardhit of the 2stroke power. to me, it takes a more skilled rider to be competitive on a 2stroke rather then a 4stroke... major props to jermiaha jones!

i also think riding a 2stroke is a lot more fun. making a 2stroke faster will cost you a fraction of the cost to make a 4stroke faster.
a pipe alone would wake up any 2stroke, throw a pipe on a 4stroke and you will feel more power. but not as great of an increase as a 2stroke.

id go with the 2stroke. i love my R to death, and probly wont buy another 4stroke for awhile. it amazes me how a 17year old quad can still compete with the new 'advanced' 4strokes.

LONG LIVE THE 250R!

Chanman420q
12-13-2003, 10:35 AM
get a 400ex, there more user friendly and like tants said there 17 yrs old and u dont know whos owned them and whats been done to them. Hes right on the price to make them faster, but ive owned both 2 stroke and 4, and i think the power that the 4 strokes make feel better. I suggest you ride ur brothers LT, then ride a 400ex, and decide if u like the 4 stroke feel or the 2 stroke feel, then go from there

montyjcm
12-13-2003, 11:17 AM
Well, the type of riding I will do is desert and dune mainly. Maybe some trails, but mostly desert.

I have ridden a warrior before and liked the feel of the power. I haven't ridden my bro's lt yet though. Is the power of a 400ex close to a warrior, or does it blow it out of the water? Thanks for the replies.

AtvMxRider
12-13-2003, 11:22 AM
Well if you ride mostly in the dunes I would go with a banshee then. Thats what they are made for.

tants
12-13-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by montyjcm
Well, the type of riding I will do is desert and dune mainly. Maybe some trails, but mostly desert.

I have ridden a warrior before and liked the feel of the power. I haven't ridden my bro's lt yet though. Is the power of a 400ex close to a warrior, or does it blow it out of the water? Thanks for the replies.

a warrior is probly around the same top speed (mabe a little less) then a stock 400ex. i would deff get a 400 over a warrior anyday.
but you will be dropping a ton of money into a 400 into making it faster for the dunes... to me a stock 400 would have me bored in the dunes just in one day (speed wise)

if i were you id get the R for the dunes. you'll love the 2stroke power ripping around on the dunes. like others said, ride your bro's lt and see how you like the 2stroke power. stock to stock
( lt vs. R) the 1986 and up lt's will be faster due to a stock powervalve, but the R will out handle it in every matter. i had a 92 lt befor i had my r. yes they are both 2strokes but are very different! from my lt to my r it was going from a geo metro to a porche. (in my opinion)

go with the R, you wont be disapointed. just make sure you dont get a dud! check over the R you plan on buying throughly, or youll be sorry in the long run

K_Fulk
12-13-2003, 11:42 AM

400ex's are all around faster then warriors. There are a bunch of ex's for sale with motor mods and stuff too, witch helps a lot.

250rtone
12-13-2003, 11:58 AM
I have owned both a hopped up R and 400ex, and for desert riding get the R. I have also owned a LT and it just don't feel the same as the honda. So riding one to try it out (won't in my opinion )be the same.The 400 is an awsome quad but it's not an R.

Chanman420q
12-13-2003, 08:00 PM
correction the 87 and up had powervalves and the 85-87 Lts were 5 spds i believe, i know the 85-86 were only 5spds and the 88-92 were 6 spds

DEAL
12-14-2003, 09:50 AM

400ex is a much better quad than a warrior, quicker, faster and better handling.
250r is probably a better quad for what you want to do , But with a quad that old you don't know what you are getting some of the time.
Its up to you really but if you find a good R for a decent price, I'd buy it.

99'ex
12-15-2003, 08:08 AM
i have a 400ex and i am very pleased with how it performs. i had a two-stroke and i would much rather have a 4-stroke, but it all depends on what type of riding you do. ride i 400ex and then ride a 250r and go with the one you are most pleased with.

Moded86R
12-15-2003, 11:37 AM
I have both an R and a EX.

For any riding in the open or on a track I'll take the R anyday of the week.It's alot faster.Has the 2 stroke power.And handles like a dream.

My 400ex is my woods/play bike.It's very reliable.By no means is it considered fast (IMO anyway)It can ride wheelie's for miles.Or I can take it back in the woods and it wont foul out a plug like my R will.

Both are great bikes.For what you are doing I would get the R.