PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Timing Chain

A4StrokeGuy
12-11-2003, 02:32 PM
I'm sitting here looking at the service manuel and cant seem to find any thing that will help me adjust my timing chain. I'm 99% its loose. Any help would be greatly appreciated

cals400ex
12-11-2003, 02:58 PM
i am not positive what your question is, but a timing chain can't be adjusted. you could have a stretched chain or your timing chain tensioner may be working improperly. i assume you don't mean your having problems getting it on top dead center?? what makes you think its loose?

A4StrokeGuy
12-11-2003, 03:05 PM
Ok my fault for not explaining it clearly. When i run my motor there is this sound, its not a tinking sound but not a bang bang sound, kinda hard to explain. Its coming from the side with the timing chain. The valves are properly adjusted along with all the header bolts tightened down properly. When the engine increases in RPM it becomes a faster sound. Now i thought u could check the tensioner to see if it was working properly or not, or am i mistaken? I just dont want to have to rip my motor apart and find out it was just the tensioner.

Jordan

cals400ex
12-11-2003, 03:35 PM
i think you can take the tensioner off and make sure it retracts smoothly. it should spring forward when you remove the skrewdriver out of the tensioner. a low idle may give you some slapping with your timing chain too. i would think you would get more of a tick than a bang from the chain or adjuster that is not working properly, but i am not sure. you sure your headers are sealed against the head and you don't have a cracked header?

2004TRX450R
12-11-2003, 10:00 PM
The tensioner is automatic. There is no adjustment. When you adjusted your valves did you make sure the decompression wasn't holding the valve slightly open then you put a lot more play in it when you adjusted it? Sometimes you have to turn the engine over a time or two until you get it where the deompresson isn't activated. Usually a chain noise will go away or become less noticeable when reved.

skemp
12-11-2003, 10:36 PM
Like stated above, a timing chain won't usually slap when held at a steady rev, but they will make some noise when there is a load on the motor. It isn't uncommon for them to get stretched at all though; especially when you start to mod the motor and make more power. The CRF450r chain is a good replacement as it is stronger.

A4StrokeGuy
12-12-2003, 12:07 PM
Thanx for the suggestions! The valves were adjusted back in Febuary by a local honda shop but i'll recheck them again since i have a service manuel now. The motor has never been apart to my knowledge, also i'll check the header over again for cracks. Any more suggestions??

jordan

Natertot426ex
12-12-2003, 01:01 PM
I had a problem like that and thought it was my timing chain and it was the drive chain. It just needed adjusted. Now it doesn't do it.

darrell43031
12-12-2003, 01:09 PM
the only thing else that could be wron is your timing chain guide could be worn. but i wouldn't think that would make a slaping sound.