PDA

View Full Version : ATV topic... please help

KandK952
12-11-2003, 12:33 PM
This probably sounds a little funny but I am doing a speech on something that has to do with ATV's... I chose the topic. The problem is I have to narrow it down to a specific topic, does anyone know something that would be interesting to speak about? I am open for any ideas at all.

thanks

Adam202
12-11-2003, 12:42 PM
How the Technology in quads have advanced. for example the new motors in the Yfz 450 and Trx 450. compare them too the simple 2 stroke design. Just an idea. also aluminum parts and such.

KandK952
12-11-2003, 12:51 PM
very good idea, I appreciate it. The only problem is that it is for a speech class in school, and most people would not understand anything I am talking about. I am thinking about doing something on how they are trying to limit quads to 400cc and not let kids ride anymore. Anyone know where I can get all the info needed for this topic?

Adam202
12-11-2003, 01:00 PM
well all i can think of is try looking it up in a search engine like www.google.com , look on sites for the technology of the motors. you can also bring in how cannondale has brought in the technology of fuel injection and all aluminum frames.

sly400ex
12-11-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by KandK952
very good idea, I appreciate it. The only problem is that it is for a speech class in school, and most people would not understand anything I am talking about. I am thinking about doing something on how they are trying to limit quads to 400cc and not let kids ride anymore. Anyone know where I can get all the info needed for this topic?

Well there you go. You can actually inform others about how much technology is actually involved in ATV's....instead of letting most people just thinking "They're just a four-wheeled vehicle with a motor in them"

exhotdog
12-11-2003, 01:08 PM
the cpsc website might have some information on it. They are the ones involved in trying to limit them. Here's a link to the press release about the safety hearing in WV.

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml03/03136.html

You could also do a speech that educates people on some ATV myths. Defend atv's from the Ozzy accident. A lot of people are going to blame the ATV when it was most likely operator malfunction since he can't even walk. Or parents that use the quads as a babysitter and then sue the company when the child is killed because the parents weren't watching them.
I'm sure we could all go on and on about some of these problems.

Sorry to babble. It's the end of the day at work.

Good luck on your speech.

wilkin250r
12-11-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by exhotdog
the cpsc website might have some information on it. They are the ones involved in trying to limit them. Here's a link to the press release about the safety hearing in WV.

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml03/03136.html

You could also do a speech that educates people on some ATV myths. Defend atv's from the Ozzy accident. A lot of people are going to blame the ATV when it was most likely operator malfunction since he can't even walk. Or parents that use the quads as a babysitter and then sue the company when the child is killed because the parents weren't watching them.
I'm sure we could all go on and on about some of these problems.

Sorry to babble. It's the end of the day at work.

Good luck on your speech.

This is an EXCELLENT idea. You can talk about the mis-information regarding the danger of ATVs. Most deaths and injuries stem from improper use. Multiple people one one ATV, riding without safety gear, ect... When used properly, ATVs aren't any more dangerous than any other motor vehicle.

exhotdog
12-11-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
This is an EXCELLENT idea. You can talk about the mis-information regarding the danger of ATVs. Most deaths and injuries stem from improper use. Multiple people one one ATV, riding without safety gear, ect... When used properly, ATVs aren't any more dangerous than any other motor vehicle.

My thoughts exactly. I was hoping my post was understandable.

K_Fulk
12-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by KandK952

That might be a good thing tough, Once you start rambling on the will look at you like this :huh and think your smart, beacuse they dont know anything about them.

seatec
12-11-2003, 02:40 PM
Dude, the best thign you could possible do is talk about atv's and safety. The teacher will love it because you are teaching other kids to do the right thing. DO you have audio visuals at your disposal? make cool slides on how not to and how to's. man, they gobble that stuff up.

KandK952
12-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all the input, I decided to speak about how much of a pain in the arse protestors are against ATV's by always shutting things down and trying to put bans on ATV's. You guys all have great ideas, maybe for the next speach I will do something about the technology or safety or something of that sort.

Adam202
12-11-2003, 08:09 PM
Glad to hear you got it done ;) , Good luck presenting it.

batgeek
12-11-2003, 08:09 PM
my opinion....

don't focus on the protestors and how they effect our sport. you'll just sound like a whiner.

do what the others have said and focus on ATV safety and responsiblity, dispelling myths and stuff like that.

half the problem with ATV'ers and what not versus the CPSC and enviromental agencies is that they want for us to sound like raving idiots...you will only help support what they want us to look like by ranting about them.

Narly R
12-11-2003, 08:11 PM
I am writting on comparing racing to other sports like football.

But ^^^ are prolly better.