PDA

View Full Version : To Cam or not to Cam.....

ubnpast
12-11-2003, 11:34 AM
1999 EX stock bore/cam and carb. Graydon full exhaust, No airbox lid, w/ 165 Main and 42 pilot.

I want most bang for the buck. Low price is the key. Should I get a stage 1 cam and throw in, or something else? Ideas appreciated. I mostly woods ride, but ocassional flattrack/TT as well.

TIA
Eric

Natertot426ex
12-11-2003, 11:43 AM
Get a cam and a stock bore high compression!!

wilkin250r
12-11-2003, 11:50 AM
A high compression piston would probably be better than a cam, if you had to choose one or the other. If you can, do both.

If you are going to replace the piston with a high compression piston, it's not that much more expensive to go with a big bore. The pistons are about the same price, so the only increase you have is about $60 charge to bore out the cylinder.

RED121572
12-11-2003, 01:54 PM
I mostly ride the woods. I chose to go with a big bore with high compression and a low end cam. It works really well for me. Good luck with your project.

livealatimmy
12-11-2003, 02:04 PM
I would go with a stage 2 cam and 11:1 piston I think its the best bang for the buck

cals400ex
12-11-2003, 03:02 PM
how do you like your graydon exhaust?? does it hit the ground when you scrape your wheelie bar?? i agree, get a high compression piston with a cam. i prefer the stage 2 cam because i like the power up top. if you want more down low, get the stage 1. i imagine that if you only did a piston or a cam, the cam itself would give more of an increase. with the stock piston and stage 2 cam, you will have not much low end power.

ubnpast
12-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Thanks for all your input. Nothing I'm planning on doing too soon, mainly just getting ideas. I like to do the little simple things before have to get too far into the engine, if that makes sense.

cals400ex, the Graydon doesn't hit the ground as far as I know, then again, I try to make it a habbit not to be on the sissy bar. After all, it is for sissies, right? I'm more of a technical woods rider.

Eric

12-11-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by livealatimmy
I would go with a stage 2 cam and 11:1 piston I think its the best bang for the buck

cals400ex
12-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by ubnpast
Thanks for all your input. Nothing I'm planning on doing too soon, mainly just getting ideas. I like to do the little simple things before have to get too far into the engine, if that makes sense.

cals400ex, the Graydon doesn't hit the ground as far as I know, then again, I try to make it a habbit not to be on the sissy bar. After all, it is for sissies, right? I'm more of a technical woods rider.

Eric

i was just wondering because my friend just got a graydon pipe and his hits the ground when you stand it up on the wheelie bar. yeah, we don't hit the bar much either, but he doesn't put it up on the bar to clean the underneath of his quad.

bmw500hp
12-11-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by ubnpast
1999 EX stock bore/cam and carb. Graydon full exhaust, No airbox lid, w/ 165 Main and 42 pilot.

I want most bang for the buck. Low price is the key. Should I get a stage 1 cam and throw in, or something else? Ideas appreciated. I mostly woods ride, but ocassional flattrack/TT as well.

TIA
Eric

ubnast, dude, the question is not to cam or not to cam. It's more like drop in with 11:1 or so vs a aggresive cam. 12.5:1, HR, and extensive headwork.

Simple is good! and it's also Reliable!

Bore your quad to a 416, why? because it's the most bang for the buck!

Do a JE or a Ross and either a HotCam/Web or HRC and some mild porting. If money's an issue, the more extensive mods are going to be a problem for you.

A real nice 416 mod would be the one mentioned in the threads by Hetrick. Hotcams are ok but as you can see by my sig, I like Web-Cams or MegaCycle. I tend to personally favor companies with a history of reliability and continued success. Web is there in every regard. My cam is a cross over between a stage 1 and a stage 2. It's terrific in the woods. You won't find ANY fault in an HRC. Unfortunately, dealers won't find any margin either.

QuadMatt
12-12-2003, 06:00 PM
bmw500hp

What is this 416 mod you mention? I tried a search but didnt find.

bmw500hp
12-12-2003, 08:12 PM
You can actually see the breakdown on Hetricks website. The post on exriders is actually a cut and paste from the site.

bmw500hp
12-12-2003, 08:15 PM
Hetricks is west of Philly...

hook
12-13-2003, 09:14 AM
stg 2 hotcam if u ride fast .for the woods just change to a 14 tooth front sprocket. cheap price drop in:devil:

bmw500hp
12-13-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by quadmatt
bmw500hp

What is this 416 mod you mention? I tried a search but didnt find.

found Hetrick thread 416 mods

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=83406