PDA

View Full Version : carb problems

publicdrunkenes
12-11-2003, 11:12 AM
my carburator keeps popping out of the boots that hold it into the head and the airfilter and i keep getting backfiring when that occours. i already checked the float and its in good shape

300ex
wb cam
fmf exhaust
k&n filter

wilkin250r
12-11-2003, 11:30 AM
The float shouldn't have anything to do with the carb staying in place :huh

Which end does it pop out of? Most likely the air filter side? I would think that if it popped of of the head, you're not getting any fuel anymore, so the motor would just die.

Are you using some sort of aftermarket carb? An airbox eliminator kit? If everything is stock, there's no reason why it should pop off, you have a clamp on it, right?

The reason for the backfiring is because your motor is used to pulling air in from the filter. If the carb pops off the filter, you are pulling air directly, which is much easier than pulling air through the filter. So now, without the filter, your motor is pulling more air, but your getting the same amount of fuel, so you are running really lean, which causes the backfiring. If you continue to run it lean, you could sieze your motor.

publicdrunkenes
12-11-2003, 11:39 AM
its popping out of the side that goes directly to the motor.

i will be trying to start it and all the sudden it will just backfire and the carb will be dangling there by the throttle cable

wilkin250r
12-11-2003, 11:46 AM
If the carb doesn't pop off, does your quad run?

publicdrunkenes
12-11-2003, 11:57 AM
it did run for about 5 days then i started fouling sparkplugs every 5 minutes the next day untill now it hasnt ran probibly for about a month now

wilkin250r
12-11-2003, 12:15 PM
Well, this doesn't sound like a simple problem of "my carb comes loose" you obviously have some bigger problems. You need to find out what those other problems are, and I'm not sure I can help you with that, you may need to take it to a shop...

publicdrunkenes
12-11-2003, 12:26 PM
yea the funny thing is that it just came from the shop it got complete top end overhaul and i know its under warranty but the worst thing is that i dont have a truck to get it there so im kinda screwed

Aceman
12-11-2003, 01:26 PM
You need to take it in to the shop that fixed it, since they did the overhaul. Did you put a bore kit in it or change the jetting. It's hard to answer your question when you don't tell us hardly anything about the problem.

publicdrunkenes
12-20-2003, 12:49 PM
i got it fixed under warranty for free. the problem was a BENT VALVE

Holeshot36
12-21-2003, 06:56 AM
Is it the right size clamp(fits in the groove), I know a someone that suck to big of a clamp on and was wondering why there carb was popping off, probably not the prob. but something to check out.