PDA

View Full Version : 250R motor questions

400EXSTUDMUFFIN
12-10-2003, 07:57 PM
I am looking into getting a 250R to race harescrambles with.

My question is..... engine maintaince of 250R is it worth the extra power you will get vs a 400ex motor

Is the 250R motor something you never stop throwing money into or once it is right it will stay that way.

seven
12-10-2003, 08:54 PM
I have rebuilt mine once and other then that is has been the same maintenece as any quad. But if you get gat a lemon you could put some cash into it.

yamasaki_125
12-10-2003, 09:40 PM
i rebuilt the whole thing as soon as i got mine, and it has been great to me since

2004TRX450R
12-11-2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by 400EXSTUDMUFFIN
I am looking into getting a 250R to race harescrambles with.

My question is..... engine maintaince of 250R is it worth the extra power you will get vs a 400ex motor

Is the 250R motor something you never stop throwing money into or once it is right it will stay that way.

unless you plan to spend a lot of money on the 400EX for power mods I'd get the 250R. They are pretty reliable and way easier to rebuild if you need to.

nacs400ex
12-11-2003, 07:21 AM
250r's dont require much more maintence then any other quad. Top-end rebuilds are cheap on a 2-smoke. If your going to be buying one make sure the motor isnt a lemon like people already said. Because if they havent replace anything for 16yrs its going to break.

wilkin250r
12-11-2003, 12:06 PM
True true. Chances are, if you find a 400EX motor, it is probably going to be in good shape, because they are relatively new. A 250r motor is a real toss-up. You could get something with a cracked case, or the shift forks need to be replaced, or is just worn out and MANY things need to be replaced. Or, you could get something that is in really good shape, and nothing needs to be replaced.

However, let's assume that you get a motor that is in good shape. Yes, they require more maintenance, and more frequent top-end rebuilds. However, they are much easier and less expensive than a 4-stroke top end rebuild. Once you've done it once or twice, they are really easy. I know a guy that rebuilt his entire top end on his 250r in a parking lot in an hour. So if you are mechanically inclined, and not afraid to get your hands dirty, then it's not a big deal. The only thing I would say is that you should find somebody that HAS done a top-end rebuild to help you the first time you do it.

400EXSTUDMUFFIN
12-11-2003, 12:41 PM
Thanks guys!

Also one more question.... I know this is rider preference but what would you pick and why.

For racing harescrambles would you rather have a 250R or a 400EX

400EX having... pipe... filter... jet kit
and 250R having... piston... a little porting... pipe... filter.. jet kit... cool head

both had the same other mods shocks and all the common stuff.

Evan
12-11-2003, 01:00 PM
My advice is ride one first-In a race if you can. You will be surprised how tiring they are to ride fast compared to a 4stroker.
You will always turn faster lap times on the 2stroker though because it requires being ridden hard to go fast. Get smooth porting, lowend pipe and that would help alot on the 2stroke-or get a powervalve.

400EXSTUDMUFFIN
12-11-2003, 06:51 PM
bump;)

300exQuadracer
12-11-2003, 07:49 PM
well 1st off the 2 stroke is easier to make go faster than the 4 strokes with less money involved
also rebuilds are cheap like already stated and maintenance is a breeze
check out the quad fully before purchasing it looking for craked cases, cracked swingarm, junk bearings . etc

Narly R
12-11-2003, 08:03 PM
Well the average rider will be faster on a 4-stroke. I personally would choose a 4 stroke over a 2 for about any kind of ridding. But a 2 stroke built well wouldnt be that bad, i just like the power better, but like evryone said cheaper and easier will be the R. Make shure ya get a less used one (if possible):rolleyes: .

AndrewRRR
12-12-2003, 12:25 AM
I'd go with a R. They are fast, cheap to mod, easy to rebuild, and handle awesome. Once you have done it a couple times you can rebuild the top end in a R in nothing flat. They might require rings and maybe a bore every season or two but you are talking under $100 a season, which is WAAAY less than most of us spend on gas alone.
Plus look at the top GNCC guys, ballance, smiley, etc, all on 2 strokes.

Evan
12-12-2003, 12:38 AM
most racers rebuild after 3 races. The longest I went was 7 with some play riding and practicing in between races. I could tell a difference in power when i rebuilt it. Alot of people dont realize these things lose that much power, and that theres a big difference between a fresh top end and a top end that has a few races on it. Chances are, if you rode a 2stroke and it had a alot of upper end power but felt weak down low.....it needed a rebuild bad.

AndrewRRR
12-12-2003, 12:04 PM
Yeah the compression goes away over time. It's worth it to get a good compression gauge. Now that i have one I don't know how I got along without it.
I'm sure the top pro riders put in a new top end just about every race if their sponsors will do it for free.
How often to the 4 strokes get rebuilt compared to the 2 strokes for GNCC?