PDA

View Full Version : Loud shifting and notchy shifting?

toby400ex
12-10-2003, 07:48 PM
The past few months I've noticed my 400ex is harder to shift, not like not going into gear but it doesnt just click into gear like it used to. The clutch alos doesnt fully disengage, it doesnt keep on rollin when i pull in the clutch but the wheels dont stop turning when its off the ground and the clutch pulled in unless I make an effort to stop em. Also when shifting into first or second from a stand still it lurches a little and is louder than it used to be. Im hoping its the clutch since theyre pretty cheap and easy to install. It still has the stock clutch components from 2000 and ive been racing XC on it for about a year now so its prolly time anyway.:o What do you smarter people think?

JD400exrider
12-10-2003, 07:59 PM
It sound like you you on the right track. Sounds like a clutch problem, although

Have you tried to adjust it? If so any change?

Have you tried a different oil lately ?

kenny
12-10-2003, 08:00 PM
what type and when is the last time you changed your oil.are the symptoms the same after the bike is warmed up. how much adj do you have left at the lower clutch cable.is the clutch slipping under a load.

toby400ex
12-10-2003, 08:10 PM
The oil i have in it right now is Castrol syntec 20w50. Thats the kind of oil Ive been using in it since i bought it last January. I think the oil might have 8 hours of use at most, with a new filter with that oil. The clutch lever has maybe 1/8" of freeplay in it. I dont think the clutch has been slipping at all. And unfortunatly its about the same after its warmed up.

Aceman
12-10-2003, 08:59 PM
I think you should just go ahead and replace your clutch. I see Rocky Mountain offers Tusk clutch kits for pretty cheap. It doesn't cost very much to change a clutch out.

kenny
12-10-2003, 10:21 PM
i think you should change your oil first.not sure where you are at.but it is cold out right now.you may want to go with a 10/40 first. i replaced my oe clutch with a ebc dirt racer. because i thought it was time for a clutch. the dirt racer i got sucked.maybe it was an e bay special.it swelled like crazy. i was always adjusting. try to remedy your problem before working on it.? ck your clutch.

12-11-2003, 05:26 AM
rofl....an ebay special :blah: ....i just got a tusk clutch kit for mine...i dont think i need it yet...they are like $45 shipped in rocky mountain & they come with some EBC heavy duty springs.

300exOH
12-11-2003, 07:17 AM
I'd try changing the oil first. Mine was notchy and hard to get into neutral when I ws using that Valvoline ATV oil.:mad:

It's much better with the Mobile 1 red cap. I would also make certain the clutch is adjusted properly. If that doesn't work it could be your clutches.

toby400ex
12-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Well its been getting louder and crappier over time so i dont think its the oil being old. Do you guys think it could actually be because the oil is too thick for the cold temps lately? Also can i go back to non synthetic oil after using synthetic?

foleyit
12-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Everyone else is pretty much right on regarding your clutch. I can't give you any mechanical explanation why you're not supposed to switch between synthetic oil and non-synthetic oil. My mechanics just tell ms "Don't!" You should be able to find some synthetic oil in the lower weighted oils.

toby400ex
12-11-2003, 04:54 PM
I wanna get something for motorcycles but i wanna be able to buy it at walmart for less than $5. Ive been buying the syntec for $5 a quart and i think its actually not that good now because my 300ex had these symptoms before i sold it and it always had this kind of oil in it.

nacs400ex
12-11-2003, 05:30 PM
My 400ex was getting to be a ***** too shift aswell. Then I blew a chain and snapped the gear shifter shaft. When I replaced the shaft the shifty problem went away and it shifts really nice. I stayed with the same oil Mobile 1 as before too. The shaft cost me $64CDN from my dealer, I could have got it cheaper from service honda too, but I didnt want to pay shipping.

400exdad
12-12-2003, 06:30 AM
Our 300 was acting up the same way. Seemed like the adjustment just wasn't right! I had synthetic in it and went back to Honda GN4 to see if that would help. It didn't. I'd put my money on some warped steels. The fibers were actually in good shape, but since I was in there, they were replaced as well.